The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Chemistry C4 C5 C6

so biology is finished and chemistry is on tuesday!
you know the drill...6 mark predictions? anyone stressed? share your feelings! :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hope we have a hard exam
makes it fun

EDIT: I didn't make this. but this is very useful! (HappyHylian Cheers!)
Possible C4 Six Markers
Describing Group 1 (Alkali metals).
Describing Group 7 (Halogens)
Comparing Group 1 and Group 7 (perhaps in less detail).
Getting data and explaining it with knowledge of Group 1 and Group 7.
The history of the periodic table (given a table with Mendeleve's ideas and told to say why it works/why it doesn't, etc).
Explaining line spectrums/how used/useful.
Describing laboratory safety, different hazard symbols, how to work safely with dangerous chemicals, examples of dangerous chemicals and why they're dangerous. (Alkali metals and halogens).
Describing ionic bonding in detail.
The makeup of the atom, different rules it follows (N of ptotons = N of electrons). Electrons = negative, tiny, no mass, etc. Basically just a describe question.
Generally comparing the structure of 2 given atoms.
Possible C5 Six Markers
Describing and explain molecular substances and their properties. (Possibly interpreting data).
Explaining covalent bonding.
Identifying negative ions. (some kind of "Class 11GL did an experiment and they got these results, explain them".
Comparing Diamond and Graphite OR comparing diamond and silicon dioxide OR comparing silicion dioxide and graphite. Properties, structure, characteristics, etc.
Describing and explaining electrolysis in detail.
Describing and explaining metal's properties. Why useful, etc.
Explaining the environmental impact of chemistry. Probably given a scenario. "Paul is against the building of a mine, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of a mine".
Comparing hydro/litho/atmosphere.
Identifying positive ions using data from a table.
Possible C6 Six Markers
Describing what the chemical industry does.
Describing the 7 stages of chemical synthesis. (Choosing the reaction, risk assessment, calcuating quantities of reactants, choosing the apparatus and conditions, isolating the product, purification, measuring yield and purity).
Describing purification and measuring yield in detail. (filtration, evaporation and crystallisation and drying, percentage yield = actual yield / theoretical yield x 100).
Describing how to do a titration. Example, "John wants to take an accurate titration, describe and explain how he does this".
Comparing exothermic and endothermic reactions. Very likely to come alongside a graph.
Describing and explaining rate of reaction, possibly how industry uses it to their advantage.
Describe/explain collision theory.
Describe how to measure speed of a reaction in 3 different ways. (precipiation and colour change, change in mass and volume of gas given off).
Describing acids reacting with different metals. Possibily explaining data.

Bold includes ones that have come up before (apart from the 2014 ones and the old dual award style - I'll add them soon to this list)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jitesh
hope we have a hard exam
makes it fun

i hope you're not being sarcastic cos i honestly feel the same way!
harder tests = lower grade boundaries
plus the jokes on twitter about how crap the exam went is hilarious!
hoping the C5 6 marker is on diamonds or something. I'm more worried about C4, any ideas?
Reply 4
Original post by kxylah
i hope you're not being sarcastic cos i honestly feel the same way!
harder tests = lower grade boundaries
plus the jokes on twitter about how crap the exam went is hilarious!

No I'm being serious!
Well.. maybe it doesn't make the actual exam fun, but I don't spend ages at the end constantly checking and I normally do better in harder tests overall! (As I tend to drop marks for silly mistakes!)

Even #ocrbiology today is quite funny haha
Reply 5
Original post by askhelpsuccess
hoping the C5 6 marker is on diamonds or something. I'm more worried about C4, any ideas?

my predictions:
C4: Line spectrums, history of periodic table, ionic bonding, displacement reactions..
C5: identifying postitive/negative ions, electrolysis of aluminium,
C6: titrations (hopefully cos thats what my controlled assessment was about), collision theory, rates of reaction graphs, measuring rates of reaction...

i think i just basically named the whole course lol
Reply 6
Original post by Jitesh
No I'm being serious!
Well.. maybe it doesn't make the actual exam fun, but I don't spend ages at the end constantly checking and I normally do better in harder tests overall! (As I tend to drop marks for silly mistakes!)

Even #ocrbiology today is quite funny haha

omg yes i do better in harder exams too!
honestly loved the P123 exam lool
Reply 7
Original post by kxylah
omg yes i do better in harder exams too!
honestly loved the P123 exam lool

Yeah, I didn't find it that hard. If anything today's was harder
But I do have to say I spent longer than normal on p123 - about 45 minutes answering questions

How long do you normally spend ?
Reply 8
Just added a possible list which someone posted last year in the second post
Reply 9
Original post by Jitesh
Just added a possible list which someone posted last year in the second post

thanks for that!!

Original post by Jitesh
Yeah, I didn't find it that hard. If anything today's was harder
But I do have to say I spent longer than normal on p123 - about 45 minutes answering questions

How long do you normally spend ?

i usually spend 15 mins on the 6 marks all together, and 30 mins on the questions, then i end up checking my answers for 15 mins...
but todays exam i swear i finished in 15 mins there were only 7 questions!
Reply 10
Original post by kxylah
thanks for that!!

i usually spend 15 mins on the 6 marks all together, and 30 mins on the questions, then i end up checking my answers for 15 mins...
but todays exam i swear i finished in 15 mins there were only 7 questions!

you finished in 15 minutes?!
Reply 11
Original post by Jitesh
you finished in 15 minutes?!

well that's a bit of an exaggeration however i finished the small questions in 15 mins and the 6 markers in 10 mins! then i was literally flicking through the exam paper for 35 mins lool there were only 7 questions it seemed so short, i literally thought i had the wrong exam paper or some of it was missing
This is definitely the worst exam out of CBP1-7 there is just so much they could question on :-( I will be relieved when it's over
Reply 13
Original post by parker13
This is definitely the worst exam out of CBP1-7 there is just so much they could question on :-( I will be relieved when it's over

noooo i love this unit :frown:
c7 will be the death of me. i bet half of the paper will be titration calculations!
Reply 14
Original post by kxylah
c7 will be the death of me. i bet half of the paper will be titration calculations!

I love c456 and c7

Not the easiest but I love them still
Original post by kxylah

I prefer C7 haha :tongue: And I dont hate the content, just the fact that OCR tends to like making 10 questions on the smallest detail in the spec so with this being the exam with most content.... :colonhash:
C4 C5 C6 are definitely the heaviest chemistry topics (closely followed by C7). There is just so much information, formulae, equations etc. to remember, yet in the exam, only a quarter of what we studied will appear (which I find really annoying although I know they can't include everything).

This is the paper I am most worried about because I don't remember learning C5 or C6 (school's fault for not teaching well & my fault for being ill).

This weekend is going to be intense chemistry and a little physics revision for me! Fun
Reply 17
hiyaa!
can someone pls help me on what exactly we need to know about the line spectrum (C4) -our teacher didnt even go through it :frown: and the books are so vague i dont even get it?

Original post by ShortStuff8
C4 C5 C6 are definitely the heaviest chemistry topics (closely followed by C7). There is just so much information, formulae, equations etc. to remember, yet in the exam, only a quarter of what we studied will appear (which I find really annoying although I know they can't include everything).

This is the paper I am most worried about because I don't remember learning C5 or C6 (school's fault for not teaching well & my fault for being ill).

This weekend is going to be intense chemistry and a little physics revision for me! Fun

This is literally me.. My school have been the worst teachers for chemistry we didn't learn C1-6 properly so I've had to basically learn the whole modules a few days before each exam:frown:
Original post by zinky99
hiyaa!
can someone pls help me on what exactly we need to know about the line spectrum (C4) -our teacher didnt even go through it :frown: and the books are so vague i dont even get it?

You need to be able to identify elements from a line spectrum and be able to give the uses of line spectrums (fairly easy once you know how to do it), and know what element produces what colour (for lithium sodium and potassium) and know what spectroscopy is (:

Quick Reply

Latest