Reply 1
Original post by adlay
=D

Hey,

I presume you're doing GCSE?

I do A-Level Chemistry, so I'm here if you need any help :h:
Reply 2
yup! Thanks for this!! my exams on tuesday
Hai. Chemistry is my strongest so I am hoping I will ace this and get 100 UMS to make up for the sheer rubbish of the Biology exam today.
Reply 4
Original post by adlay
yup! Thanks for this!! my exams on tuesday

Good luck! :h:

How has revision gone?
Will you being taking it next year?

Original post by BTAnonymous
Hai. Chemistry is my strongest so I am hoping I will ace this and get 100 UMS to make up for the sheer rubbish of the Biology exam today.
What happened in Biology? :console:
Reply 5
Havent revised yet but im good at last minute revision!!
Reply 6

Biology was supposed to be my strongest but I'm just gonna revise really hard for chemistry and hopefully make up for the marks I lost in biology! God knows what I'm gonna in Physics, I always find it so hard!
Reply 7
okay I'll start. .. Why do we use new methods such as bioleeching and phytomining to extract metals rather than the traditional methods?
Reply 8
Original post by YashviD
Biology was supposed to be my strongest but I'm just gonna revise really hard for chemistry and hopefully make up for the marks I lost in biology! God knows what I'm gonna in Physics, I always find it so hard!

same ugh but biology is meant to be the easiest and i revised a lot for it.
Original post by Neuth
Good luck! :h:

How has revision gone?
Will you being taking it next year?

What happened in Biology? :console:

It was more of a statistics exam than a biology one so a lot of topics I revised didn't come up at all due to the fact that all the graphs and table questions took up half of the paper. And then there were references from B2 people didn't understand. It could be a lesson that I need to revise even harder (which I don't know how to because I revised hard for this) or there's a fault in the exam.
Original post by adlay
okay I'll start. .. Why do we use new methods such as bioleeching and phytomining to extract metals rather than the traditional methods?

We use phytomining and bioleaching because we are running our of high grade ores so we are researching ways to extract low grade ores. Hence bioleaching and phytomining.

We still use traditional methods such as smelting but because high grade ores are depleting we need to find new ways to extract low grade oers to make them economically viable (basically making a profit).
Reply 11
Original post by adlay

idk if this is for all metals but for copper I think it's because we are running out of high grade copper ores where there is enough metal to extract economically using traditional methods like smelting. So now we need to use new methods in order to extract metal from the low grade ores and do it without harming the environment to much.

I think there is more but I'm not sure ?? (haven't revised fully yet)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by adlay

Lmaoooo, I did this exam last year- doing AS now xD let's see how much I remember xD
Okay, so phytomining is the one with the plants and bioleaching is the one with the bacteria/leech substance stuff?? I guess the other options are mining and quarrying which aren't very good for the environment? CO2 emissions and whatnot? Also maybe bioleaching and phytomining can be used to extract copper from low grade ores? :lol:
Lmao, I got an A* in GCSE chemistry and I'm doing chemistry AS- Yet I genuinely can't remember xD So ashamed of myself right now :rofl:
Original post by Neuth
Hey,

I presume you're doing GCSE?

I do A-Level Chemistry, so I'm here if you need any help :h:

I think we need someone from A-Level Maths as 80% of the biology unit 1 exam was interpreting data, doing calculations and suggesting questions as well as additional science questions in CORE science. The only question that tested our knowledge was the 6 marker one + 2 or 3 other ones (1 mark and 2 mark)

It was a total bizarre and unfair for the year 10's (me being in year 10) as the year 11's would get all of the suggestion questions right, but year 10's only being taught core science wouldn't, so the grade boundaries would be unfair for people only doing core / year 10's - and, the math questions were pathetic for everyone.

I knew the biology stuff and spec inside-out and it's unfair that this paper came up; and i don't know whether I should do the same for chemistry or just learn additional + tripple chemistry for the core science chemistry exam and some maths... So pathetic.

Hopefully A* will drop to 39 / 60 marks - like in June 2012 - but even that won't be enough...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
guys i found an unoffical mark scheme here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3383751

The person is updating the answers as they receive the questions from students :smile:
Reply 15
Tell me everything you know about the layout of the periodic table
Reply 16
Original post by ScrewTheExams
I think we need someone from A-Level Maths as 80% of the biology unit 1 exam was interpreting data, doing calculations and suggesting questions as well as additional science questions in CORE science. The only question that tested our knowledge was the 6 marker one + 2 or 3 other ones (1 mark and 2 mark)

It was a total bizarre and unfair for the year 10's (me being in year 10) as the year 11's would get all of the suggestion questions right, but year 10's only being taught core science wouldn't, so the grade boundaries would be unfair for people only doing core / year 10's - and, the math questions were pathetic for everyone.

I knew the biology stuff and spec inside-out and it's unfair that this paper came up; and i don't know whether I should do the same for chemistry or just learn additional + tripple chemistry for the core science chemistry exam and some maths... So pathetic.

Hopefully A* will drop to 39 / 60 marks - like in June 2012 - but even that won't be enough...

I do A-Level Maths too :redface:

Remember the grade boundaries will reflect on the difficulty of the paper :yep:

I'm sure you all did better than you think.

It was more of a statistics exam than a biology one so a lot of topics I revised didn't come up at all due to the fact that all the graphs and table questions took up half of the paper. And then there were references from B2 people didn't understand. It could be a lesson that I need to revise even harder (which I don't know how to because I revised hard for this) or there's a fault in the exam.

Awh :console:

Like you say, it's a lesson you can learn from.
There's nothing you can do about it now.

Original post by adlay
Tell me everything you know about the layout of the periodic table
Bit of a vague question, that :giggle:What do you need to know?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
What is that thick black zigzag line on the periodic table for again?
Original post by Neuth
I do A-Level Maths too :redface:

Remember the grade boundaries will reflect on the difficulty of the paper :yep:

I'm sure you all did better than you think.

I walked out the exam hall thinking that I've done quite well and now I realised how bad I done in this unbalanced exam.

The grade boundaries are also not fair for the Year 10's as Year 11's would get all the 'suggest' questions right as they are on their syllabus - but the year 10's who only learnt for core science would have no idea how to answer these question + the B2 questions that were somehow on the B1 paper..
Reply 19
Original post by adlay
What is that thick black zigzag line on the periodic table for again?

Metals *insert zigzag line* Transition Metals, Non-Metals.

Original post by ScrewTheExams
I walked out the exam hall thinking that I've done quite well and now I realised how bad I done in this unbalanced exam.

The grade boundaries are also not fair for the Year 10's as Year 11's would get all the 'suggest' questions right as they are on their syllabus - but the year 10's who only learnt for core science would have no idea how to answer these question + the B2 questions that were somehow on the B1 paper..

Strange :frown: Suggest questions can be tricky at times :console:

Are you planning on taking Biology A-Level in the future?
Lots and lots of suggest questions on Edexcel :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest