The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oriel College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Hey all Orielites (Orielenses? Whatever.)! Here is, finally, a thread for those who have been accepted to what is evidently the most attractive, most selective and most envied of all Oxford colleges!
So, to the getting-to-know-you business I guess...

I'm Patrick, and I'm going to Oriel in October (grades permitting) to study Classics.
I seem to recall seeing someone with an offer for English and someone else for Maths (I think) on the decisions thread, so I know there are some more of us around!
Also, does anyone know of any posters on these boards who is currently at Oriel? And does anyone know anything about college life, as the website only tells you so much...I imagine I'm not the only one to have heard awful stories of rah/Tory endemics at the college...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can we get this moved into the Colleges forum please?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
PatBVS
Can we get this moved into the Colleges forum please?

Your fairy godmother has waived her wand. You are still a loner and still talking to yourself. Do you wish to rethink your PPH abuse? x
Reply 3
Well I thought I'd post considering a) nobody else with an offer has and b) you are now getting mocked lol.

I'm Ryan, will (hopefully, grades permitting) be studying Modern Languages, French and Spanish, at Oriel in October. I'm from Northern Ireland btw, so my interview process was not only expensive but taxing lol...but I agree that Oriel is beautiful and selective.As for college life etc, you can't research that too much, though I have heard of the Tory, right-wing aura (which actually suits me to a tee as I'm part of the 'vast right-wing conspiracy' as some term it lol).

Anyway we need to find out if there's anybody else with an offer, as there are at least seven others for languages.

Where are you from Patrick?

''Je ne capitule pas''--Berenger, in Rhinoceros de Eugene Ionesco
Reply 4
deipnosophy
Well I thought I'd post considering a) nobody else with an offer has and b) you are now getting mocked lol.

I'm Ryan, will (hopefully, grades permitting) be studying Modern Languages, French and Spanish, at Oriel in October. I'm from Northern Ireland btw, so my interview process was not only expensive but taxing lol...but I agree that Oriel is beautiful and selective.As for college life etc, you can't research that too much, though I have heard of the Tory, right-wing aura (which actually suits me to a tee as I'm part of the 'vast right-wing conspiracy' as some term it lol).

Anyway we need to find out if there's anybody else with an offer, as there are at least seven others for languages.

Where are you from Patrick?

''Je ne capitule pas''--Berenger, in Rhinoceros de Eugene Ionesco

Lifestyle: go out, drink lots. Forget about work till day before. Complete work in Libray.

Politics: As wide a range as anywhere.
Reply 5
/\Terrific. Particularly the summary of the lifestyle.
I'm from Kent, Ryan. Blame my extraordinarily mongrel-ly genes for an Irish first name and a Dutch (via Zimbabwe) surname.
Reply 6
PatBVS
/\Terrific. Particularly the summary of the lifestyle.
I'm from Kent, Ryan. Blame my extraordinarily mongrel-ly genes for an Irish first name and a Dutch (via Zimbabwe) surname.

Several days later, you now have a friend. Isn't that exciting?! You see how your popularity has soared since knowing me. Isn't it a shame you don't know anyone at your college studying the same subject? I found mine, even though there's only one other. Still, don't worry, I won't abandon you, meus parvus servus, Sarah et ego te amamus... :P x
Hey guys, I'm James
I'll hopefully (AAA permitting) be studying Law at Oriel college next year. I'm from near Ashby in Leicestershire (which is the town at the centre of the country).

Patrick...i possibly met you at interview week: with Callum (from Marlboro'), Marcus (the Swedish guy), Johnny (from Newcastle), and Dennis (from leeds). Does this sound familiar?
Reply 8
MullzOfAshby
Hey guys, I'm James
I'll hopefully (AAA permitting) be studying Law at Oriel college next year. I'm from near Ashby in Leicestershire (which is the town at the centre of the country).

Patrick...i possibly met you at interview week: with Callum (from Marlboro'), Marcus (the Swedish guy), Johnny (from Newcastle), and Dennis (from leeds). Does this sound familiar?

I was a St. Hugh's app (I know, I know) who got pooled and had my interviews on Friday evening when every other Classics person went home Thursday morning. So I doubt it. But hopefully we'll meet in October.

By the way, don't be scared of Sheridan. She is the resident bag-lady of the OxColleges board. She talks to mushrooms. Smokes them too.
She'll encourage you to do Maths and NatSci at Cambridge before inexplicably coming to Oxford for an arts degree...keep away from her.

Not really. We love her.:handkiss:
Reply 9
PatBVS
I was a St. Hugh's app (I know, I know) who got pooled and had my interviews on Friday evening when every other Classics person went home Thursday morning. So I doubt it. But hopefully we'll meet in October.

By the way, don't be scared of Sheridan. She is the resident bag-lady of the OxColleges board. She talks to mushrooms. Smokes them too.
She'll encourage you to do Maths and NatSci at Cambridge before inexplicably coming to Oxford for an arts degree...keep away from her.

Not really. We love her.:handkiss:

OMG, how dare you! Did no-one tell you to have respect for your elders?? I don't know why I bother. And you may not handkiss me. Pervert :P xxx
Reply 10
You love it, bitch.
xxx
Reply 11
Like you would know Patsy.
xxx
Reply 12
The neighbours know that i know what you like, you know?
xxx
Reply 13
PatBVS
The neighbours know that i know what you like, you know?
xxx

LOL, I know you'd like to think so!
xxx
Reply 14
Mercuria
I'm Matt from Kent, going to be doing maths, and trying desperately hard to get rid of my prejudice for private school kids!

*sigh* Hope that was in jest.
Reply 15
Nothing wrong with the private school kids I met, they were actually all a right laugh. Just as many stuck-up pricks at state schools, if you ask me. At least at mine. I'm probably one of them half the time.
And we're all in the Oxford Fresher boat together. Can't we just all gang up on Cambridge? Or on Sheridan over on the Greyfriars board?
Reply 16
PatBVS
Nothing wrong with the private school kids I met, they were actually all a right laugh. Just as many stuck-up pricks at state schools, if you ask me. At least at mine. I'm probably one of them half the time.
And we're all in the Oxford Fresher boat together. Can't we just all gang up on Cambridge? Or on Sheridan over on the Greyfriars board?

Don't even think about it, my boy! You are not in my good books as it is :wink: So there. Besides, you won't feel this way when I get my own back (with Sarah) :biggrin: xxx P.S. Gang up on Cambridge, and I'll skin you (and no dinner cooked for a few days)
Reply 17
Love you too sweetheart.
And skin me? Is that any way to talk to your husband on Valentine's day? I gave you a present and a hug...
xxx
Reply 18
PatBVS
Love you too sweetheart.
And skin me? Is that any way to talk to your husband on Valentine's day? I gave you a present and a hug...
xxx

You needn't try the sympathy vote on with me! You're very happy to leave me in YOUR College and on other Classics expeditions by myself. Is that any way to treat me the day after Valentine's Day?? xxx
Reply 19
I will send flowers. and a gigolo.
xxx

Quick Reply

Latest