Edexcel A2 Chemistry Watch

JP 98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How much harder is A2 chemistry for edexcel than AS level?
thymolphthalein
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EpicTroll9300)
How much harder is A2 chemistry for edexcel than AS level?
Lots of people find Chemistry difficult.

I love Chemistry so it's not really an issue for me. But there is a lot of content, so if you don't like revising, it's probably not the subject for you. As for difficulty, I find that if you understand AS well, then A2 is not that hard.

Some AS material (mechanisms/isomers/basic energetics) shows up in Unit 4 as well, and Unit 5 is a synoptic paper so A2 Chemistry would be difficult for someone who struggled with AS.
JP 98
Rep:
?
(Original post by thymolphthalein)
Lots of people find Chemistry difficult.

I love Chemistry so it's not really an issue for me. But there is a lot of content, so if you don't like revising, it's probably not the subject for you. As for difficulty, I find that if you understand AS well, then A2 is not that hard.

Some AS material (mechanisms/isomers/basic energetics) shows up in Unit 4 as well, and Unit 5 is a synoptic paper so A2 Chemistry would be difficult for someone who struggled with AS.
thanks, I found AS chemistry okay/easy so hopefully I can do A2 with few problems
thymolphthalein
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thanks, I found AS chemistry okay/easy so hopefully I can do A2 with few problems
The key is understanding the concepts really well and being able to apply them. With sufficient practice, I'm sure you'll do alright.
JP 98
Rep:
?
The key is understanding the concepts really well and being able to apply them. With sufficient practice, I'm sure you'll do alright.
Thanks, would you say the work at A2 is more interesting?
thymolphthalein
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks, would you say the work at A2 is more interesting?
Well, it depends. If you like Organic Chemistry, Unit 5 has Arenes and Nitrogen Organics. There is a continuation of Redox Equlibria in more detail which I don't enjoy as much but it's linked a lot to Transition Metal Chemistry which I like. You also learn organic synthesis, which is like theory on practicals a lot of the time.

Unit 4 has rates, entropy, acid-base equlibria. I don't mind those. There's lots of calculations and graphs involved, but they're not too difficult because most of it is formulaic. They do make some questions quite tricky though. But Unit 4 also has Gas Chromatography/HPL Chromatography, I don't really enjoy the questions on those because I find them boring, but it's a very small topic from the whole of Unit 4. Unit 4 also has Organic Chemistry, specifically aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, esters and acyl halides.

Might have missed mentioning a few things, but that's the gist of it.
JP 98
Rep:
?
Well, it depends. If you like Organic Chemistry, Unit 5 has Arenes and Nitrogen Organics. There is a continuation of Redox Equlibria in more detail which I don't enjoy as much but it's linked a lot to Transition Metal Chemistry which I like. You also learn organic synthesis, which is like theory on practicals a lot of the time.

Unit 4 has rates, entropy, acid-base equlibria. I don't mind those. There's lots of calculations and graphs involved, but they're not too difficult because most of it is formulaic. They do make some questions quite tricky though. But Unit 4 also has Gas Chromatography/HPL Chromatography, I don't really enjoy the questions on those because I find them boring, but it's a very small topic from the whole of Unit 4. Unit 4 also has Organic Chemistry, specifically aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, esters and acyl halides.

Might have missed mentioning a few things, but that's the gist of it.
Sounds much more interesting than AS, goodluck on your unit 4 & 5 exam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (125)
17.83%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.27%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (121)
17.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (68)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (214)
30.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed