Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Yes, you'll recognise it from German and Latin once you pick up the phonetics of the alphabet.
    ahh ok cool im thinking of picking up another language at university,maybe russians a good idea since im doing german alevel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    ok but hows it an easy language to learn - is it the structure or the grammar..etc?
    The structure and grammar are really no more complex than german or english or any other language I've had a stab at learning. The alphabet *is* the main barrier, but once you've got to grips with that, and how to pronounce some of the harder consonant sounds, it's not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    how to pronounce some of the harder consonant sounds
    German would definitely give you a headstart with that.

ReputationRep:
    German would definitely give you a headstart with that.
    Yep. Actually, it worked the other way with me, Russian helped me with my German, and now I do German A level

ReputationRep:
    Nooo dont go for something with a different alphabet, i am pretty much fluent in greek and persian, and they are two completly different alphabets, and it gets very confusing,

stick to something like french you'll pick it up over a summer spent there, aswell as reading the odd french magasine here and there, and watch french satellitttee they show all the programmes like friends etc and its pretty easy to follow,

also why go for random languages like Russian or Mandarin, they are useless, compared to something like spanish or french which are more widely used

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on why you're learning a new language. I'm just saying that people shouldn't be put off by learning a new alphabet, it's not as hard as people think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaney87)
    also why go for random languages like Russian or Mandarin, they are useless, compared to something like spanish or french which are more widely used
    spanish and (definitely not) french are not more important than mandarin

ReputationRep:
    i got a C in gcse french (partly due to losing complete interest because of a **** year 10/11 teacher) and yet my 'rents have a place in France.. so I'll hopefully sort my french over the next couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    Why not french? Lots of african countries/colonies speak french.

ReputationRep:
    Mandarin is spoken by a hell of a lot of people in a very small area. Western European languages are used far more widely, especially in trade and government.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only way to really fluent in a language is to go live in the country with the language with wanna learn, i have a desire to learn japanese but it's difficult to learn it unless i study japanese at university, get a private japanese tutor or i go live in Japan.

ReputationRep:
    Mandarin is spoken by a hell of a lot of people in a very small area. Western European languages are used far more widely, especially in trade and government.
    when do you use french in trade? China's economic and business activity is bigger than the combination of all french speaking nations

ReputationRep:
    when do you use french in trade? China's economic and business activity is bigger than the combination of all french speaking nations
    Welcome to the European Union

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrJackal)
    I think the only way to really fluent in a language is to go live in the country with the language with wanna learn
    i concur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    Yeah, I love the sound of Russian. It's great! I would love to learn that, but am scared by the alphabet. Same with Greek (although doing Physics A-level, I think I now know the Greek alphabet!) I will try to up the standard of my spoken french, as I feel that is the best way to communicate...i hate having to learn all the special endings for different tenses etc, when they all sound the same spoken anyway! (I love taking the easy way out!)

I have to learn some basic Mandarin anyway, so does anybody know where i can do that? (other than the BBC which I have already done and didn't find very helpful)
    Ni hao!! First of all the alphabets of a new language scares me 2!! The best thing 2 do is learn how 2 speak it first then it will be easier!! I can speak pretty good Mandarin but the characters are beyond me!! It may sound crazy but I learned my mandarin on the internet 4 free!! Just look up learn mandarin n it has sites with sound files in it that breaks down tones n everything!! It will take u from elementry mandarin levels 2 advanced conversational mandarin!! Its a great site, best wishes!! Zai Jian!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    Yeah, I love the sound of Russian. It's great! I would love to learn that, but am scared by the alphabet. Same with Greek (although doing Physics A-level, I think I now know the Greek alphabet!) I will try to up the standard of my spoken french, as I feel that is the best way to communicate...i hate having to learn all the special endings for different tenses etc, when they all sound the same spoken anyway! (I love taking the easy way out!)

I have to learn some basic Mandarin anyway, so does anybody know where i can do that? (other than the BBC which I have already done and didn't find very helpful)
    I dont know why I say this but Russian is not that bad, the characters...unless you start using the cursive...but the best way to learn Russian would be to live with Russian, just like any other language. It makes a really big difference!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ThunderCat8]I really have a desire to become fluent in another language. I can only speak English, and I am embarrased that so many people in the world can speak their own language PLUS English; I can only speak English
    QUOTE]

I can speak English, Russian and Ukrainian and to be honest with you I wish I didn't. I get so confused sometimes (Im dyslexic too which doesnt help) that I forget words in all the three languages. The only person I can speak to without being woried about whether she would actually understand me is my mum, I can use all the three languages at the same time with her! wehey! Otherwise I feel like such a foreigner, I speak with an accent in all the three languages, argh!!

ReputationRep:
    i can speak english, german, spanish and swedish

ReputationRep:
    Let me tell you some mandarin.
    Hello- Ni hour
    Good Bye- zine jane

These are what I knew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superkillball)
    Let me tell you some mandarin.
    Hello- Ni hour
    Good Bye- zine jane

These are what I knew.
    You know, that's pretty useless to non-Mandarin speakers without any stress marks. They'll probably go up to a Chinese take-away and say it in proper English, and with a totally incorrect accent.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.