Turn on thread page Beta

Becoming fluent in another language watch

ReputationRep:
    the only way you're ever going to get fluent in a language is by spending a substantial ammount of time in the country whose languge your'e learning and to absorb yourself totally in the language. Also this is far easier if you've got a sound grammar and vocab base to start with. At uni they tell us that some people even after 4 years at uni with a year abroad do not always become fluent. It depedns on the effort they makewhile they are abroad.

Its also amazing how quicklyyou can pick up other languages once you've got good base (ie a-level) of another one. I've been doing spanish for 6 years but after a year of portugese, my understaning of Portugese grammar is probably equivelent of my spanish (although my speaking and listening skills are rubbish)

ReputationRep:
    Ive done 7 years of Japanese, dont see why though, totally useless to me!

ReputationRep:
    definately, staying in the country where they speak the language is the only way to become fluent as you can't be fluent without learning all the small avriations, interpretations and some slang. If you stay in another country don't stay with english people as you won't improve you language skills!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops1)
    er....best way to get better at a language is to expose urself to it as much as poss...
    this is probably the best method, but if like me, you cant stand the books and keep reaching out for the dictionary while writing essays, just go to whichever country, preferably with people who you know.

If youre still at school, and they offer student exchange programs, just get on one of them, i went on last year and improved my german (by a lot), didnt need to use a dictionary, got a decent AS Level mark out of it, and made a great bunch of mates who i still keep in contact with even after a year. and this was just a week over there, if i spent 1month, i would have eventually spoke the language as one of them (albeit in a different accent).

Doesnt really matter if you cant speak a word of the language, just as long as you got the enthusiasm and make the most of the fun out of a trip to whichever country you want to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superkillball)
    Let me tell you some mandarin.
    Hello- Ni hour
    Good Bye- zine jane

These are what I knew.
    Dui Bu Qi!!! But u spelled them wrong!! Its...

1. Hello= Ni Hao!

2. Goodbye= Zai Jian!

ReputationRep:
    I can also say:

Ni shuo Yingwen ma

Which i think is "Do you speak English" or something like that :confused: eek

I downloaded some of the Pimsleur Mandarin off Winmx and I've been having a go. It's bloody difficult! Arrgh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    I can also say:

Ni shuo Yingwen ma

Which i think is "Do you speak English" or something like that :confused: eek

I downloaded some of the Pimsleur Mandarin off Winmx and I've been having a go. It's bloody difficult! Arrgh!
    You said it wrong its: Ni hui shuo yingyu ma?!

When you do yingwen thats written english!! Like, can you write english!! And yingyu is for speech!! Like, can you speak english!!! But I'll check some more!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy but sweet)
    You said it wrong its: Ni hui shuo yingyu ma?!

When you do yingwen thats written english!! Like, can you write english!! And yingyu is for speech!! Like, can you speak english!!! But I'll check some more!!!
    How comes you know some mandarin? If you know some more, I'd appreciate having some lessons just to keep me in the mandarin mind-set.

Don't ask me about languages, i'm just about to go and fail foundation french GCSE!

As you can see, i've revised very hard for it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    The structure and grammar are really no more complex than german or english or any other language I've had a stab at learning. The alphabet *is* the main barrier, but once you've got to grips with that, and how to pronounce some of the harder consonant sounds, it's not too bad.
    Yea. 7 cases in nouns. Everything is gender-dependent. Very different word structures and a different way of constructing sentences. Apart from that it's virtually the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    Yea. 7 cases in nouns. Everything is gender-dependent. Very different word structures and a different way of constructing sentences. Apart from that it's virtually the same.
    Pffft. It's near enough. Just like Latin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Pffft. It's near enough. Just like Latin.
    Latin - yes.
    German or English - much less so.

ReputationRep:
    while there is no substitute for spending time in a foreign country, you can improve your language skills completely free of charge(providing you have the net). there are dictionaries, chat rooms, radio and newspapers all online aswell as basic guides in grammar and the like. in short, you dont need to spend anything to improve yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say to become truly fluent in a language you have to be able to think in it.

ReputationRep:
    agh i can speak english obviously, and persian fluently, i learnt russian gcse too which i am going to continue when i go to uni, cus its an amazing language! (its not as hard as people make out)

ReputationRep:
    WOW CAN YOU SPEAK PERSIAN?! SO CAN I!

SALAM YIPEE! HALET CHETOREH?! ESMET CHIYEH?!

In my opinion If you want to learn another language you should learn spanish as it will be the most useful seeing as it is spoken in most south and central american countries and of course Spain!!!
    But I am also fluent in japanese after living there for six years and I can speak some Korean as we learnt it in school in Japan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikeyb)
    WOW CAN YOU SPEAK PERSIAN?! SO CAN I!

SALAM YIPEE! HALET CHETOREH?! ESMET CHIYEH?!

In my opinion If you want to learn another language you should learn spanish as it will be the most useful seeing as it is spoken in most south and central american countries and of course Spain!!!
    But I am also fluent in japanese after living there for six years and I can speak some Korean as we learnt it in school in Japan.
    salam, persian is quite cool actually, my friend is learning it at uni...hmm
    does pull mean money, lol? i cant think of anything else at the mo!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.