Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering the length of the 2 exams in the summer, the play/poetry one worth 120 marks and the contextual one (american lit for me) worth 90 marks. I no the 2nd one is 2hours+15mins reading but im not entirely sure whether the 1st one is 1.5 hours or 2. anyone enlighten me?

ReputationRep:
    MINE WAS 30marks for each thing -poetry/novel and erm play
    TOTAL = OUT OF 90

ReputationRep:
    no offense but im not to fussed what urs was and its ounds like a GCSE thing anyway. Im talkin A2 here for OCR. anyone know what it is?

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockindemon)
    I was just wondering the length of the 2 exams in the summer, the play/poetry one worth 120 marks and the contextual one (american lit for me) worth 90 marks. I no the 2nd one is 2hours+15mins reading but im not entirely sure whether the 1st one is 1.5 hours or 2. anyone enlighten me?
    I thought the play/poetry was 90? Cos the US Lit part is worth 12 as it's unit 6 and sort of synoptic. Either way, I've jsut been on the OCR website and they're both 2 hours ( plus the reading time ). Take a look at the specimens if you want to check.

ReputationRep:
    thanks but im not entirely convinced as it says 2hours for all the exams and my teacher says 2hour, but last yr they were 1.5 hours so i dont hold her or the website specimen reliable.

ReputationRep:
    thanks but im not entirely convinced as it says 2hours for all the exams and my teacher says 2hour, but last yr they were 1.5 hours so i dont hold her or the website specimen reliable.

hmm fair point - actually, you should have a exam board print off listing your exams - that says how long it is. Would look at mine and check but I seem to have lost it. Maybe just prepare for it being 1.5, then the only way it can go is longer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    I thought the play/poetry was 90? Cos the US Lit part is worth 12 as it's unit 6 and sort of synoptic. Either way, I've jsut been on the OCR website and they're both 2 hours ( plus the reading time ). Take a look at the specimens if you want to check.
    agreed. Am not looking forward to these 2 exams. Especially the Synoptic paper. Tried to learn some quotations today, but they just wouldn't stick in my head!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam99)
    agreed. Am not looking forward to these 2 exams. Especially the Synoptic paper. Tried to learn some quotations today, but they just wouldn't stick in my head!

Are you doing American Lit too? I haven't even looked at the books, I'm too worried about P3 at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    Are you doing American Lit too? I haven't even looked at the books, I'm too worried about P3 at the moment.
    yep "20th Century American Literature"

It's such a vast topic, that it's almost impossible to prepare properly for it. They're scrapping it after this set of exams at my school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam99)
    yep "20th Century American Literature"

It's such a vast topic, that it's almost impossible to prepare properly for it. They're scrapping it after this set of exams at my school.
    How many books have you looked at? I've only done 2 with my teacher, he said we wouldn't get marked down if we didn't mention any more. Still, I'm quite worried about it I need to start looking at themes and things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    How many books have you looked at? I've only done 2 with my teacher, he said we wouldn't get marked down if we didn't mention any more. Still, I'm quite worried about it I need to start looking at themes and things
    I don't think the number of books matters particularly, but you have to use the quotations to illustrate your points about the themes, so more than one can help...which have you done and how relevant are they to the thematic stuff?

I think that if you know the texts really well, learning quotations isn't much of an issue, I didn't specifically learn any last year for the shakespeare paper but spieled off a whole load without thinking. My only worry is that I won't be able to again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    I don't think the number of books matters particularly, but you have to use the quotations to illustrate your points about the themes, so more than one can help...which have you done and how relevant are they to the thematic stuff?

I think that if you know the texts really well, learning quotations isn't much of an issue, I didn't specifically learn any last year for the shakespeare paper but spieled off a whole load without thinking. My only worry is that I won't be able to again...

I'm doing 'A Streecar named Desire' and 'The Great Gatsby' - They're quite good for illustrating the American Dream, and the divide between old and new America but I'm struggling to find any more overriding themes. I'm not too worried about quotes, as long as we're not too vague it should be fine. Actually, this isn't too bad, having looked at some of the questions. Remembering quotes from Chaucer is more of a challenge!

ReputationRep:
    yup im doin street car and gatsy for it, unfortunately i have not done any revision on it. i did some work for the other exam (volpone and rape of the lock are my txts) for the 1st time ths weekend. maths and physics have taken my time bit worried.

ReputationRep:
    yup im doin street car and gatsy for it, unfortunately i have not done any revision on it. i did some work for the other exam (volpone and rape of the lock are my txts) for the 1st time ths weekend. maths and physics have taken my time bit worried.

Me too - I need to start. At least they're quite short though - some other people in my year have to do Middlemarch for unit 6!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    I'm doing 'A Streecar named Desire' and 'The Great Gatsby' - They're quite good for illustrating the American Dream, and the divide between old and new America but I'm struggling to find any more overriding themes. I'm not too worried about quotes, as long as we're not too vague it should be fine. Actually, this isn't too bad, having looked at some of the questions. Remembering quotes from Chaucer is more of a challenge!
    Gatsby and Streetcar seem to be the standards, but you might want to look at Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote. Not only is it ultra short (100 pages), there are loads of parallels with Streetcar and (to an extent) Gatsby.

Themes that the two look at apart from American Dream, and the old-new divide include:

Alcholism and addiction
    The past (and its manipulation)
    Role of women (victims or manipulators)
    Race (Stanley in particular)

There are more, but I'm struggling to remember them, and they're slightly more tenuous (frontier colonising spirit, role of God etc).

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    Gatsby and Streetcar seem to be the standards, but you might want to look at Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote. Not only is it ultra short (100 pages), there are loads of parallels with Streetcar and (to an extent) Gatsby.

Themes that the two look at apart from American Dream, and the old-new divide include:

Alcholism and addiction
    The past (and its manipulation)
    Role of women (victims or manipulators)
    Race (Stanley in particular)

There are more, but I'm struggling to remember them, and they're slightly more tenuous (frontier colonising spirit, role of God etc).

Hope this helps
    Ooo Thanks - You're a Star!

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing this but my comparison texts are Streetcar and who's afraid of virginia woolf?.

I did Gatsby for coursework...

I'm not too worried about the exams, but i need to get an A overall..

I got a high B for AS, so i should be able to get an A? Right?

I just worry how do you get an A at A2???!?! it's madness.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.