Why do major political and important people ignore the signs of climate change?

Watch
randyortonrko
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I don't get, people are always ignoring obvious signs of climate change and the fact it would be a devastation for the human race, yet we do nothing. Why are humans so selfish to only care about ourselves and not the animals or environment?

Important people who have the ability to make a change seems to me are doing what they do for greed and money yet they don't realize what impact their activities do to the environment. They have the ability to make a better world but they don't.

What really grinds my gears is the fact the people are going on about artifical intelligence and how they are like ' terminators ' but they forget the real danger that is already happening. There are and will be long term effects to us if we keep going on at this rate.

I hate the fraction of humans who think they are the most important species on the planet. Humans are just animals and like animals we share this planet so it is just disgusting the fact that humans are the cause of possible extinction to the innocent animals that live on this planet.
BCMFM16
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no no no cba
flibber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'Long term effects'- oops, many old American Republicans won't be living when we bear the full brunt of AGW, or are wealthy or backed by the rich who don't want drastic and costly measures on corporations to divert the worst of AGW, as they don't want to lose profit.

It's the horrid schizophrenia in some American conservative Christians- citing a figure who preaches about caring for the poor (who are going to suffer the most from AGW), forgiveness, and how wealth does not buy you into heaven, yet Republicans support the death penalty and are seen as more 'capitalist' and individualist than Democrats. (Not to critique capitalism; I'm a capitalist myself).
Artur96
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because politicians think in the short term. For them, climate change in its current state is pretty much harmless since they aren't physically or mentally affected by it.
Smilin’ Knight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
they don't ignore it, they looked at it recognised its going to cost a lot and decided its not worth it. leave that for the next generation.

Problem avoided
randyortonrko
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
makes me sick really because some people do want a better world...
K.C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People are selfish, religion is holding some back - aka American republicans and people won't do it simply because another isn't

"well this person isn't doing it so why should I?"
WillNegForReps
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
who said we ignore it? what more do you want us to do about it?
BasicMistake
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mainly because 'looking after the environment' often involves sacrificing some sort of economical advantage which people aren't prepared to do... until they see their possessions floating in dirty floodwater.

It can't be avoided; tackling climate change costs money.
Politicians won't commit until every other country does so they aren't weakening their economy without anyone else.
Businesses obviously don't want to see themselves taxed in order to fund the 'green sector' and tackling climate change generally means they have to operate at greater costs in order to cut emissions.
The poorest among us aren't aware of the dangers and are, reasonably, more concerned about their welfare. Which is why those who care most about the environment are middle-class and can comfortably put our worries on the environment.

Another issue is the whole 'I-can't-do-anything-as-I-am-just-one person' mindset, on an individual and international level. If there is a proper name for this fallacy, please let me know as this will fester in my brain for some time.
flibber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by randyortonrko)
makes me sick really because some people do want a better world...
Part of the solution would be for people to vote out some of the politicians who openly deny AGW, phase out oil subsidies as fossil fuels are gradually replaced by new renewable energy sources or even nuclear fusion.
Kiytt
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Those that are aware of it recognise it is ongoing as a result of human pollution in conjunction with natural change in climate. To some, the cost of reducing human pollution just to decelerate a process which is inevitably going to happen anyway, is not worth it.
hellafandom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They avoid recognising it because looking after the environment and trying to clean up the mess humanity has left on the Earth requires a certain degree of selflessness and actual caring for something other than yourself. Of which most politicians & celebrities don't have.

Or they don't want to face the cold, hard fact that their huge SUVs are definitely damagingthe planet.
Elom
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let's be fair—100% capitalism is 100% communism through the back door.

It's even how the modern version of the idea came about.
Last edited by Elom; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.83%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.86%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed