'I can't do much by myself so I'll ignore it'

Watch
BasicMistake
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is this a logical fallacy? And if so, does it have a name?

To expand on the title, it can be interpreted as:
'I won't stop littering because the amount of littering that is currently happening in the town means that there will be no real difference even if I myself stopped.'

I don't think it is 'argumentum ad populum' as the issue isn't based on other people's actions but a lack of impact of one's own actions.
BasicMistake
Rep:
?
:bump:
BasicMistake
Rep:
?
Anybody?
The_Mighty_Bush
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not a logical fallacy. A lack of moral conviction perhaps but there is no contradiction in the statement as presented.
BasicMistake
Rep:
?
Thanks, that has been bugging me for some time. I had been trawling through the list of fallacies on Wikipedia but I couldn't find it.
BasicMistake
Rep:
?
I'll be on the lookout for it when I go to the library. It sounds quite interesting.
VannR
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is an informal fallacy, not a logical fallacy.
Chicken.M.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most so called logical fallacies aren't logical fallacies. It's just a different line of thinking and reasoning that's perfectly valid that the pretentious like to dismiss and give a label to make themselves feel smart.
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just did. lel
Protégé
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sometimes it actually makes sense though, stupid to give it an ultimatum. A person may say "I would be a vegetarian but that doesn't change the number of animals that are slaughtered".
BasicMistake
Rep:
?
(Original post by Protégé)
Sometimes it actually makes sense though, stupid to give it an ultimatum. A person may say "I would be a vegetarian but that doesn't change the number of animals that are slaughtered".
True, but I was thinking that this line of thinking can lead to people committing crimes and atrocities.
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Clearly there is. Otherwise I wouldn't be disagreeing with you.
Man.bear.pig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BasicMistake)
Is this a logical fallacy? And if so, does it have a name?

To expand on the title, it can be interpreted as:
'I won't stop littering because the amount of littering that is currently happening in the town means that there will be no real difference even if I myself stopped.'

I don't think it is 'argumentum ad populum' as the issue isn't based on other people's actions but a lack of impact of one's own actions.
dunno about philosophical terms but common sense terms says it's called defeatism.
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You said there are no other line of thoughts other than yours. The fact that I think differently to you is enough evidence against you.
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lmao no. You made a very silly statement saying there is only one line of thought. You are the one who doesn't know what you're talking about. You basically say something silly and then add a lot of long fluffy words and padding onto the end in the hopes of sounding smart. Even though it doesn't add anything to your position.

It obviously is evidence because other people go down different paths of thought and disagree including me rofl. What you said is nonsense and is hardly worth a reply.
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lmao. You're the type of person I was referring to in my OP. I actually couldn't be bothered to give you a proper reply because of that. Why have a discussion with someone whos close minded, arrogant, dismissive and rude? "I studied X so my opinion is the only one that matters." lol pls.

But things like slippery slope etc. People like you would just dismiss them as being untrue when in fact in a lot of the cases they are true. For example gateway drugs leading onto more drugs. One example for you. Basically it's common sense vs psuedo intellectual logic a lot of the time.

You are also acting like an arrogant authority making some silly claims like, "There is only one line of thinking." It's so ridiculous how can you even reply to something like that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.2%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
32.09%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (36)
12.16%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.78%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.74%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads