The Student Room Group

Engagement ring cost question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trustmeimlying1
like it or not my sisters would say feck the wedding I want a decent ring.

sure youre buying into the biggest market scam of all time but even Id lie on the cautious side with this

a lot of girls seem to want a good quality ring and nine times out of ten that means a decent amount of money

Then a lot of girls are pretty dumb.
Original post by SophieSmall
sure but youre daft if you let a bit of cash stop yeh marrying the right girl

just one of these things.hope you're well btw.genuinelly smile when i see your username pretty sad but true :tongue:

To be fair, it's got to last over half a century without getting blemished and be attractive enough for her to happily wear it every single day.

There's not many options (polished granite?) outside of precious metals and stones that fit the bill and, by dint of being precious, they cost a fair whack.
Original post by Le Nombre
To be fair, it's got to last over half a century without getting blemished and be attractive enough for her to happily wear it every single day.

There's not many options (polished granite?) outside of precious metals and stones that fit the bill and, by dint of being precious, they cost a fair whack.

You don't have to get an expensive ring for it to last a long time, my mum's ex finance gave my mum his mum's old wedding ring, that once belonged to his grandmother. It had sentimental value but that was about it. Not a scratch on it.

If you think you need to spend more than a few hundred quid on a ring for it to last 70 years you're being fobbed off. Not to mention rings don't need to have precious stones in them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by trustmeimlying1
sure but youre daft if you let a bit of cash stop yeh marrying the right girl

just one of these things.hope you're well btw.genuinelly smile when i see your username pretty sad but true :tongue:

I'd question if I was with the right girl if a ring was more important to her than financial security and the relationship itself...but hey that's just me. :wink:

Haha you lemon, I'm good thanks, you?
Reply 25
Original post by Galaxian
Let me ask YOU a question. How much do you love her? How much do you want her to know it? How long do you want her to remember? Put the biggest rock on her finger that you can afford. You will have no regrets - unless you one day part company with a divorce of course.

Bevause of course love is determined by how materialistic your girlfriend is and how ostentatious the ugly big rock you buy for her is.

Anyone who spends more than a few hundred is a complete idiot, in my opinion. It's just a piece of jewellery. Spending so much suggests you have no concept of or appreciation for the value of money - I'd rather that money went towards something USEFUL, like a deposit on a house together.
You don't have to get an expensive ring for it to last a long time, my mum's ex finance gave my mum his mum's old wedding ring, that once belonged to his grandmother. It had sentimental value but that was about it. Not a scratch on it.

If you think you need to spend more than a few hundred quid on a ring for it to last 70 years you're being fobbed off. Not to mention rings don't need to have precious stones in them.

Yes, but the ring is probably worth a lot hence the reason it had no scratches on it. My grandma's would cost me nothing, but if I bought it on the open market it would cost me a fair amount of money. Plus he may have been on a IHT dodge as I mentioned above, not to ruin the romance of it.

No, but you need to spend 500 quid or so. And it has to be in some way proportionate to your earnings, just as any other present has to be. We may not say it, but if someone who has lots of money spends very little on us we are cheesed off.

If you earn 500 quid a month, 500 quid is more than enough, but if you're take home is 8k, 500 quid looks like taking the ****.
Original post by abc101
Bevause of course love is determined by how materialistic your girlfriend is and how ostentatious the ugly big rock you buy for her is. Moron.

Anyone who spends more than a few hundred is a complete idiot, in my opinion. It's just a piece of jewellery. Spending so much suggests you have no concept of or appreciation for the value of money - I'd rather that money went towards something USEFUL, like a deposit on a house together.

Some people can spend a few grand on a ring and cover a house deposit, the two aren't mutually exclusive...
Yes, but the ring is probably worth a lot hence the reason it had no scratches on it. My grandma's would cost me nothing, but if I bought it on the open market it would cost me a fair amount of money. Plus he may have been on a IHT dodge as I mentioned above, not to ruin the romance of it.

No, but you need to spend 500 quid or so. And it has to be in some way proportionate to your earnings, just as any other present has to be. We may not say it, but if someone who has lots of money spends very little on us we are cheesed off.

If you earn 500 quid a month, 500 quid is more than enough, but if you're take home is 8k, 500 quid looks like taking the ****.

It really just wasn't, that was why I quite clearly said "it had sentimental value, but that was about it" :rolleyes:
It really just wasn't, that was why I quite clearly said "it had sentimental value, but that was about it" :rolleyes:

In that case he's just a tight ****er. You get engaged once in your life, put your hand in your pocket.
In that case he's just a tight ****er. You get engaged once in your life, put your hand in your pocket.

Typical response of someone who just can't see another point of view :rolleyes:

If my partner spent more than a couple of hundred pounds on an engagement ring for me, I'd be pretty pissed off that he blatantly had not paid any attention to what I like or how I feel about expensive stuff for the sake of being expensive. But that's just me. Some girls like it, others don't. I fall into the latter. I advise you not think all girls want expensive rings, or expensive things in general for that matter.

As for my mum's ex, he didn't have the money to spend needlessly on a ring. And there was absolutely nothing wrong with the family ring. That doesn't make him tight.
Original post by Motorbiker

I've heard three months salary but that is stupidly high imo.

That's a crazy amount.

De Beers themselves originally said one month. IMO, if you go far above that you're probably a mug.
Typical response of someone who just can't see another point of view :rolleyes:

If my partner spent more than a couple of hundred pounds on an engagement ring for me, I'd be pretty pissed off that he blatantly had not paid any attention to what I like or how I feel about expensive stuff for the sake of being expensive. But that's just me. Some girls like it, others don't. I fall into the latter. I advise you not think all girls want expensive rings, or expensive things in general for that matter.

As for my mum's ex, he didn't have the money to spend needlessly on a ring. And there was absolutely nothing wrong with the family ring. That doesn't make him tight.

It's not expensive for the sake of it, it's expensive because silver/white gold/platinum (the usual metals for an engagement ring) have a generally high market value. Expensive for the sake of it is spanking an extra 50% of the cost on a Tiffany ring, just because it's Tiffany.

Maybe it's the nature of the world I live in, but every girl I've met has made it clear that she'd prefer me to spend the money on her than myself, I don't think that's particularly unusual. I'd rather someone spend money on me than themselves too.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's not expensive for the sake of it, it's expensive because silver/white gold/platinum (the usual metals for an engagement ring) have a generally high market value. Expensive for the sake of it is spanking an extra 50% of the cost on a Tiffany ring, just because it's Tiffany.

Maybe it's the nature of the world I live in, but every girl I've met has made it clear that she'd prefer me to spend the money on her than myself, I don't think that's particularly unusual. I'd rather someone spend money on me than themselves too.

You keep telling yourself that.

Your last paragraph was also not at all what I meant. So irrelevant.
You keep telling yourself that.

Your last paragraph was also not at all what I meant. So irrelevant.

You said you don't want expensive things.

If a guy can afford expensive things (be that holidays, houses, school fees, pension pots etc.) but is not purchasing them for you or the people you want him to purchase them for, he is presumably doing something else with the money, either spending it on himself or saving it. That is a presumption, admittedly, but it's a logical one, as there are limited things you can do with money, essentially spend or save (if save encapsulates investing etc.).

If you didn't mean that, what did you mean?
Original post by Motorbiker
Hi,

How much do you think you should spend on a ring?

Obviously it depends on your income but relative to your gross monthly income, what do you think is appropriate.

I've heard three months salary but that is stupidly high imo.

I spent three months salary, that's the standard and it's not stupidly high as you get good rings for that amount. If you want a £100 ring then so be it but I personally prefer high end diamonds!
You said you don't want expensive things.

If a guy can afford expensive things (be that holidays, houses, school fees, pension pots etc.) but is not purchasing them for you or the people you want him to purchase them for, he is presumably doing something else with the money, either spending it on himself or saving it. That is a presumption, admittedly, but it's a logical one, as there are limited things you can do with money, essentially spend or save (if save encapsulates investing etc.).

If you didn't mean that, what did you mean?

Who said the guy needs to buy these things? In my relationship it will be equally contributed. I'm not a child that needs to be looked after, I'm an adult that can contribute to my own house thank you.

I meant I'd be pissed if my partner bought me an expensive engagement ring because it shows quite clearly he barely knows me. Anyone who knows me well would know I don't like lavish expensive nonsense, I like simple stuff. Useful stuff.

Also I'd be fine with a partner spending money on me every now and again, just like I'd spend my money on my partner every now and again. But I would prefer the money to go on stuff we both want, both enjoy or can do together. And again, he doesn't have to be the only one spending. This isn't the 50's women can earn just as much now too you know.
Original post by Racoon
No way. That's just mean lol,

I think an engagement ring is most probably the most romantic thing a person can receive. It should reflect that.

How is it mean? So are you saying that the more money someone spends on a ring, the more romantic it is?
I think this sums it up pretty nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU
The cost isn't important to me. What is important to me is that he's picked something (or we, if he's decided we should pick a ring together) that I like. So, if that ring cost £200, fine. If it costs nearer £1000, fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending