The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, do you mind sharing more of the details of how you get your UK LLB converted into an Australian equivalent one? And does studying Master's help with your PR application and did you manage to get a PR/ Sponsorship in the end? From what I know, we need to either obtain PR or company sponsorship to work in Australia, however it is quite confusing for me as PLT (1year) and the short course to convert the UK LLB (6 months) only adds up to 1.5 years, meaning that we have to secure a working visa/ PR/sponsorship within that 1.5 years to continue working there. Thus, it is quite impossible. So does a Master help increase your chance on PR, sponsorship, working experiences to extend a working visa? Please correct me if I am wrong, I am quite confused. Thank you in advance!!
Original post by bronse
In short, it is a lot harder than people think. I agree with the post above you that the market is incredibly tight and particularly law is becoming a very saturated profession.

I moved there to do my Masters a year after finishing my LLB not having the intention of staying, I just wanted to study a Masters in a foreign country. I ended up loving it and started to move down the path of trying to qualify. However, you have to do a minimum of 3 Australian law subjects due to their federal system being different to England. To do this you need a student visa which only 1 or 2 universities in Australia will grant you for only studying single subjects. So problem 1, visa. These subjects are also around AUD 3000-5000 each depending on the university. And problem 2, cost.

If you have an Australian passport you do not have to worry about problem 1 or problem 2 (as much) because you are a citizen and have citizen study prices.

Then there is the problem of actually finding a law firm to take you on - none will sponsor you with a visa. Additionally many won't take you on without you having secured permanent residency (PR) which is notoriously hard to get unless you have sponsorship. So that is problem 3.

This is a very brief overview but if you have any other questions just hit me up.

Hi, so did you manage to get PR after doing your Masters? I heard that we need to either get sponsored or obtain a PR before our student visa ended. However, the PLT (1 year) and the short course to convert the UK LLB to an Australian equivalent one (6 months) only adds up to 1.5 years. So is it possible to get retained by company/ obtained PR in that 1.5 years? So if I get a Masters in Australia after my UK LLB, does it increase my chances of getting retained/obtaining PR or increase my working experience? I am still quite confused about the conversion as well the PR things, please correct me if I a wrong. Thank you in advance

Latest

Trending

Trending