The Student Room Group

What are you doing for cell phone plans while studying abroad?

I'm from America but soon to be attending uni in Nottingham. I haven't figured out how I'll manage being able to text and call both my family/friends in the US and new people I meet in the UK, with high international data rates and smartphones needing different sim cards internationally.

Maybe get a flip phone for communicating within the UK and only use my iPhone on wifi networks to contact people in the US and use apps?

What are you guys doing for cell phone plans?
Reply 1
You could get that flip phone for calls in the UK, the battery life sure is long as hell. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'll get a UK sim. Well, I already have one as I travel there a lot, and teach my family how to use Skype :P
Reply 3
Get a phone with duo sim and get your home and UK sim in. Contact the provider and change the sims to top-up. Though, your home sim is only usable when you're back in America. Or just get a UK sim into your iPhone and use whatsapp to call them.
I have a few questions about SIM-only plans and I'll just piggyback onto this topic.

If we're going to be studying for 3 years, are pay-as-you-go plans or 12/24-month SIM-only contracts better? I won't be making international calls (using skype instead), so mostly will be browsing the web/ making local calls through my phone.

Best companies to get SIM plans? (so far I've heard Giga/Three for pay as you go, vodafone for longer-term contracts).

Best SIM plans/packages from said companies?
Hey, you could get a UK sim and use apps like WhatsApp, Viber or Skype to stay in touch with your friends and family in the US. These kind of apps don't need too much data and you'll find WiFi points everywhere anyway :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest