Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what are the best ways to revise for the subject? cause i'm well and truly stuck!

ReputationRep:
    read and read your text so you got a sound knoweldge! then focus on important themes and then learn quotes if its a closed book exam!

what are you studying/revising?

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing

the miller's tale - Chaucer
    The glass menagerie
    Enduring love

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you know the book very well, write a list of themes in the book and relevent quotes, look at techniques the author uses, underline lots of things.. erm maybe practice essays? That's especially important if you're likely to mess up the timing during the exam, a problem I never seem to have. If you have less time then just plan essays and work out how you would organise your paragraphs.

ReputationRep:
    Twinkledust
    I'm also doing The Glass Menagerie and The Miller's Tale

ReputationRep:
    do you possibly know the themes in the millers tale?

I know of

Realism
    Animalism
    Irony

and how are you revisin them?

ReputationRep:
    i take every theme i can think of and write about how it is illustrated with quotes etc. and then analyse characters.
    is anyone doing the closed book exam on the handmaid's tale? do you know what kind of questions will come up? i've never done a closed book exam before and it's a bit nerve-wracking. i just realised that learning parapgraphs off by heart is not actually going to help much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire-faery)
    i take every theme i can think of and write about how it is illustrated with quotes etc. and then analyse characters.
    is anyone doing the closed book exam on the handmaid's tale? do you know what kind of questions will come up? i've never done a closed book exam before and it's a bit nerve-wracking. i just realised that learning parapgraphs off by heart is not actually going to help much.
    I did that exam last year, but with a different book. Don't worry- it's not as hard as it seems! It was my best mark last year. As long as you know the book well and have thought carefully about the issues, themes, characters and techniques then it'll be fine- and it seems like you're doing the right kind of revision for it too

As for questions: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/engLiA_assess.html here are the past papers for that exam, with mark schemes!
    Here are examiners' reports too, which you may find useful to use with the papers
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/engLiA_exam.html

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the Handmaid's Tale too, and I'm really not looking forward to the exam.... holding thumbs I get a good mark.

I'm re-reading the text at the moment and highlighting quotes that I only half-remember but think would be good in the exam - I plan to have a go at writing a few essays later on in the week too.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.