The Student Room Group

How to learn German?

Hi. Summer holidays are coming and I was thinking to learn German. I can speak fluently in English and Polish. What should I do to learn German? Should I buy a book? What German movies or what? Is it easier for me to learn third language if I can already speak fluently in 2 languages?
Get a good dictionary, good grammar book and watch videos on YouTube. Most of the "learn German" videos follow a school curriculum type pattern which is useful! German grammar takes ages to master. I've spoke German for over 8 years and still struggle with some areas! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Immerse yourself in it as much as you can. Watch things in German, read it and try to think in it. Go to Germany and talk to people.
Reply 3
Deutsche Welle has free online German language courses. I used it to brush up on my German, which I only did until AS-Level, and it was pretty handy. Aside from that as the poster above said Youtube is great for various different videos, also a good dictionary and grammar book are essential.

It isn't hard to get to a conversational level in German, I found that it has many similarities to English and Afrikaans. However the grammar gets complicated at a certain point, and I was never really able to get to grips with it. Best of luck!
Reply 4
Hi/czesc! I am a native English speaker but due to me being half Polish, have grown up speaking (well, attempting to speak) Polish. I'm also studying German at school and hope to do it at uni! If you have any questions about German feel free to pm me! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending