Sixth Form In September any advice?? :)

Watch
MVEMJSUNP
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anyone have any advice or can tell me anything about these subjects at A-level. I am planning on taking:
English Language and Literature <- I'm not really sure about this one
Psychology <- or this
Biology
Chemistry
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took Psychology Biology (and Maths) A2s and Chemistry AS! What do you want to know?
emu_neutrino
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I posted this on a similar thread so i'll repost here (though i guess the maths advice isnt relevent)

Im in year 13 and I'm doing chemistry, maths and physics, so i'll give you some maths and chem related tips advice:

General tips

1) expect to have to put work in to understand something, it may take a few hours for a little thing but it is worth it.
2) work in your frees
3) do loads of super-curricular and extracurricular stuff than you can put on your UCAS application, also its a great way to do something outside of your studies and meet new people. Having said that it is reccomended you do 5 independant hours of study per subject per week, so if you are doing 4 subjects thats 20 hours outside of school (works out to about 3 to 4 hours a day outside of lessons)
4)pay attention in lessions, ask questions, go to teachers about homework or things you don't understand before the next lesson
5) do your homework and read a little extra around the subject if you are interested
6) do a little revision throughtout the year, revise for your mocks well in advance (id say at least 6 weeks but this might be difficult on top of other work, just do your best, dont kill youself)
7) start revising more around 3 months before exams and build it up
8) do past papers

Chemistry- a nice mix of remembering knowledge and applying understanding
1) what worked for me was all of my classnotes I would write up in an exercise book so i could use it for revision later in the year, this is really useful as its all in one place and you really wont have time to do this when you start revising.
2) practice balancing equations and doing mechanisms
3) past papers, all the past papers
4) many people say it is hard whilst i found it quite easy, i think it relaly depends on having a good teacher.Alevelchemistry.com is a lifesaver and so is chemguide.

Maths
1) being able to work well with fractions, indices and surds will reaaaaally help you in the first term as these are all vital for a level.
2) do as many questions as you can, preferably until you cant get it wrong
3) maybe have a little notebook you keep throughout the year of how to do certain methods just in case you forget so you can refer to it during revision.
4) solomon worksheets are really good for extra practice
5) honestly maths is really just about practice...
6)physicsandmathstutor.com has every past paper you could ever want, i advise doing as many as you can for revision.

sorry for the huge amount of text, hope this helps!
MVEMJSUNP
Rep:
?
(Original post by emu_neutrino)
I posted this on a similar thread so i'll repost here (though i guess the maths advice isnt relevent)

Im in year 13 and I'm doing chemistry, maths and physics, so i'll give you some maths and chem related tips advice:

General tips

1) expect to have to put work in to understand something, it may take a few hours for a little thing but it is worth it.
2) work in your frees
3) do loads of super-curricular and extracurricular stuff than you can put on your UCAS application, also its a great way to do something outside of your studies and meet new people. Having said that it is reccomended you do 5 independant hours of study per subject per week, so if you are doing 4 subjects thats 20 hours outside of school (works out to about 3 to 4 hours a day outside of lessons)
4)pay attention in lessions, ask questions, go to teachers about homework or things you don't understand before the next lesson
5) do your homework and read a little extra around the subject if you are interested
6) do a little revision throughtout the year, revise for your mocks well in advance (id say at least 6 weeks but this might be difficult on top of other work, just do your best, dont kill youself)
7) start revising more around 3 months before exams and build it up
8) do past papers

Chemistry- a nice mix of remembering knowledge and applying understanding
1) what worked for me was all of my classnotes I would write up in an exercise book so i could use it for revision later in the year, this is really useful as its all in one place and you really wont have time to do this when you start revising.
2) practice balancing equations and doing mechanisms
3) past papers, all the past papers
4) many people say it is hard whilst i found it quite easy, i think it relaly depends on having a good teacher.Alevelchemistry.com is a lifesaver and so is chemguide.

Maths
1) being able to work well with fractions, indices and surds will reaaaaally help you in the first term as these are all vital for a level.
2) do as many questions as you can, preferably until you cant get it wrong
3) maybe have a little notebook you keep throughout the year of how to do certain methods just in case you forget so you can refer to it during revision.
4) solomon worksheets are really good for extra practice
5) honestly maths is really just about practice...
6)physicsandmathstutor.com has every past paper you could ever want, i advise doing as many as you can for revision.

sorry for the huge amount of text, hope this helps!

Thankyou so so much and your amazing literally the best advice!! And also for Chemistry are you doing OCR or AQA and which one in your opinion is easier. For GCSEs I have been doing AQA should I just stick to that? Thanks again x
MVEMJSUNP
Rep:
?
(Original post by Magdatrix >_<)
I took Psychology Biology (and Maths) A2s and Chemistry AS! What do you want to know?
Could you tell me how Biology, Chemistry and Psychology are at Alevel and whether AQA is easier than OCR or viceversa because I have been doing AQA at GCSE.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The step up is quite high from GCSE, so make sure to put extra effort in if you want similar or better grades.

English Literature is a great course btw. I only did the foundation exam for English Lit at GCSE, and only took it for A-Level as the other choices were terrible. Wasn't expecting much, but it was probably the most interesting and enlightening course I ever did at school. Great teachers also helped.
MVEMJSUNP
Rep:
?
(Original post by Swanbow)
The step up is quite high from GCSE, so make sure to put extra effort in if you want similar or better grades.

English Literature is a great course btw. I only did the foundation exam for English Lit at GCSE, and only took it for A-Level as the other choices were terrible. Wasn't expecting much, but it was probably the most interesting and enlightening course I ever did at school. Great teachers also helped.
Thankyou so much. Do your school offer both English literature and language aswell as just English Literature and what is the difference? Our teachers keep on saying only English literature is very difficult.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MVEMJSUNP)
Thankyou so much. Do your school offer both English literature and language aswell as just English Literature and what is the difference? Our teachers keep on saying only English literature is very difficult.
Our school only offered English literature, as ironically they though English language was too difficult :lol: It was challenging, but if you enjoy reading and being creative with your analysis it is a very enjoyable course. A creative writing coursework piece was my personal favourite.
Tiwa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone have any advice or can tell me anything about these subjects at A-level. I am planning on taking:
English Language and Literature <- I'm not really sure about this one
Psychology <- or this
Biology
Chemistry
I'm currently an A2 student studying Maths, Chemistry and Physics. As people have stated before, be prepared to work much harder than you did at AS. I would even recommend revising from day 1. Ask questions when you don't understand a certain topic. PAST PAPERS. I can't stress how important and useful they are, especially in Chemistry. I did OCR A Chemistry, so I can't say whether AQA or OCR is harder. Chemistry is a really enjoyable subject. I did English Literature at AS, and although I didn't enjoy that much at AS, it's still a good subject, especially if you like reading. All the best for you A levels!
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Could you tell me how Biology, Chemistry and Psychology are at Alevel and whether AQA is easier than OCR or viceversa because I have been doing AQA at GCSE.
I can't really say whether a certain exam board is "easier" than another, having only done the one I did! I'm sure they are equivalent in difficulty though!

Psychology and Biology - I did both with AQA. I found the AQA textbooks really good actually! Difficult, but do-able, I'd say in general!

With Biology, my advice would probably be to try not to stress too much about the practical assessment - it's not as bad as people think.

With Psychology, it's just exams, the first three of which I thought were fine, but the fourth one was a beast and the reason I was half-a-percent away from getting an A overall..... There's some leeway with which topics you take (though your teacher might choose these for you like ours did).

Chemistry (Edexcel) - I enjoyed it to begin with I think, but as I said, I dropped the subject after AS. This was not because I hated it as such, but just because I didn't love it! Personally I found the practical work quite a strain (I believe that part of my coursework may or may not still be on the ceiling...) and the written exams were, again, difficult, but do-able.
emu_neutrino
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thankyou so so much and your amazing literally the best advice!! And also for Chemistry are you doing OCR or AQA and which one in your opinion is easier. For GCSEs I have been doing AQA should I just stick to that? Thanks again x
I did aqa and i liked it, both are going to be difficult not going to lie but i really liked aqa for chem.
Tsrsarah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do not leave all your revision till the last minute try hard all year starting from september by keeping organised and revising over things regularly
scrawlx101
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
cry now

just jk
uptownpunkk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! I take English Lit, Biology and Chemistry at the moment. --- I'd suggest taking English Literature instead of English Language if you can... especially if you want to go to uni. Most unis favour an A-level in Literature than an A-level in Language. If you really want to go Language still though then do the combined Lang and Lit A-level as uni's still favour that more. )
Tsrsarah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by johannarebecca7)
Hi! I take English Lit, Biology and Chemistry at the moment. --- I'd suggest taking English Literature instead of English Language if you can... especially if you want to go to uni. Most unis favour an A-level in Literature than an A-level in Language. If you really want to go Language still though then do the combined Lang and Lit A-level as uni's still favour that more. )
I wish I took lit bc its prefered more than language. Language however is super easy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed