jemlow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi! I'm due to sit my A2 English Lit exam on Thursday and I'm really struggling to get my grade up from a C to a B. I've been told my essays are hitting the AO's however I'm being let down by my AO1 and AO3ii for both poetry and shakespeare...Can anyone give me any tips on how to get a grade higher? I really need the grade!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by She-Ra)
x
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jemlow)
Hi! I'm due to sit my A2 English Lit exam on Thursday and I'm really struggling to get my grade up from a C to a B. I've been told my essays are hitting the AO's however I'm being let down by my AO1 and AO3ii for both poetry and shakespeare...Can anyone give me any tips on how to get a grade higher? I really need the grade!
I've moved it to the correct forum

Good Luck!
Theatre22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm also sitting my exam on Thursday and am having the exact same problem. I would say that just make sure all your points link together...I always try and come up with elaborate view points, but I end up just losing marks. Literally just go through the AO's. Start with a quote, analyse it, show a different opinion or a critical viewpoint and then suggest how the context might have affected it. Easier said than done I know...i'm literally sat here trying to get all the quotes in my head. hahah Best of Luck!
Lochy99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
AO1 is all about how you write it, how you structure you're arguement - make sure your points link and flow nicely.
AO2 is obviously your analysis. You do not need to remember loads of quotes because it's a closed book exam. You are not expected to know loads of quotes so just remember key quotes and phrases. When you do AO2, pick out key words or images and emphasise them, make a big deal of them (make sure it's relevant to the answer though!)
AO3 i is your connections. For poetry, look at key themes and ideas. For example, do both pieces of poetry have a dig at society? How? Etc. You can also look at how they differ - using the society example again, your core poem may have a dig at society whereas the partner poem may be praising society. Do the same with the plays.
AO3 ii is your critics. Try to remember 3 critics' names and what they say and I reckon you've nailed it (make sure you put in some general critical stuff about the poem or play as well though.) It's also about different inteperations. So, if you can find two differing views on the point you're trying to make, get them in and analyse them separately and decide which is the more plausible opinion.
AO4 is the context. Do not just write a bit of context if it has no relevance to what you are saying. Only if it reinforces your point should you put it in. For example, for Shakespeare's The Tempest, if you got a question on power, you can talk about colonisation. With this, you would bring in the New World, montaigne's essay, jamestown colony etc. Just make sure it links to what you are saying.

Also, some little bits and pieces:
Use signpost phrases when you make connections - do not move from one play or poem to the other without one.
Also, you should have roughly 2/3 core text and 1/3 partner text for both questions - you need to give the partner text some though or you risk losing a lot of marks.
Your introduction is also key in both essays. You must set out a clear thesis and a clear line of arguement - make it clear what your arguement is and then go from there.
Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (171)
44.19%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.27%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.45%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.68%

Watched Threads