The Student Room Group

What are my chances eh?

So I graduated from Brunel University with a 2.1 in biomedical science - I have 1 years experience shadowing my aunt who cares for the elderly. I am working on getting some experience shadowing a few doctors (fingers crossed) I am also volunteering in a hospice from December 2015 to December 2016 -

I never joined societies in university - was never the head girl - my A levels were crap (BCCC) and my GCSE's were ok - 2A*'s 7A's .... I really wana get into medical school - I am sitting the UKCAT in october and will start revising in a few weeks.

I was wondering given my profile whether I had a chance... i feel inadequate! - Maybe cause I imagine medical school to be the place for someone who received A's in everything and was the head of every society.

thoughts?....
Reply 1
I somehow got into med school without being the head of any societies or whatever... Sounds like you could be in with a shout, but I'm not sure on what med schools' A-level requirements are for graduates. Worth giving that a look.
Original post by 9910224
I somehow got into med school without being the head of any societies or whatever... Sounds like you could be in with a shout, but I'm not sure on what med schools' A-level requirements are for graduates. Worth giving that a look.

out of curiosity what med school did you get into? I've just finished my second year uni and want to do graduate medicine as well.
Reply 3
Original post by craftywizardboy
out of curiosity what med school did you get into? I've just finished my second year uni and want to do graduate medicine as well.

Got one offer from Southampton. I'm undergrad, BTW.
Reply 4
Original post by Jennifermedhead
So I graduated from Brunel University with a 2.1 in biomedical science - I have 1 years experience shadowing my aunt who cares for the elderly. I am working on getting some experience shadowing a few doctors (fingers crossed) I am also volunteering in a hospice from December 2015 to December 2016 -

I never joined societies in university - was never the head girl - my A levels were crap (BCCC) and my GCSE's were ok - 2A*'s 7A's .... I really wana get into medical school - I am sitting the UKCAT in october and will start revising in a few weeks.

I was wondering given my profile whether I had a chance... i feel inadequate! - Maybe cause I imagine medical school to be the place for someone who received A's in everything and was the head of every society.

thoughts?....

I got an offer from Swansea this year and I didn't do anything extraordinary in terms of societies/sports teams etc at uni during undergrad, was a prefect at school but it didn't really count for much! Also my A levels were nothing to shout about (BBB).

With a 2.1, a decent UKCAT and GAMSAT score and solid work experience, you're in the same boat as everyone else as long as you apply to the right places, you have a science degree so more uni's are open to you (for example if you do well on the GAMSAT you'll get interviews at Swansea, St George's and Nottingham). :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Jennifermedhead

thoughts?....

Research your options carefully and pick based on where suits your profile. With a 2.1 in biomedical science, most graduate courses are an option for you, but you should check each one carefully for their exact criteria as some will want certain A-level subjects/grades, or a particular amount of work experience (paid or unpaid). Graduate entry is extremely competitive however, so depending on your finances you may want to consider applying for the undergraduate course - but this would mean having to pay full fees up front. Societies etc aren't necessarily important, but work experience is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending