London - Construction Management, in need of 1st class advice Watch

London_CM_Msc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi Guys,
I have been looking for the right Construction/Project Management MSc programme of the universities in or around London. I got the idea that if I go to London, do a master and get some of the prominent HSE and maybe six sigma certificates, with the direction of the career service of the university and a bit of luck perhaps not in London but thru agencies or offices I can get a job offer from large companies. I guess I have a good background and it is right time to do this. I've been working for 6 years now and I actually worked in quite good positions (superintendent and for small scale projects as site manager, construction manager) in major projects and past 2 year I have been working for one of the global lead. But tough luck no go in company. I have no other connection so London sounds like the opportunity.

This is where I get confused to pick the right university. For example, I like the programme and career opportunities Brunel, oxford brookes or reading offer however being away from city will prevent me working doing intern or going for job hunting etc. I feel like If I go any off-london centre universities all my chances are tied up to what university can provide. Then again there are mid class universities in the city which tuition costs are rather moderate like westminster, UEL, metropolitian etc. I find myself thinking just go one of these universities and look out job yourself. It got really complicated for me.

I could really use some advice and information about career opportunities london offers. Can anyone put some input what would be the best way to go here.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by London_CM_Msc)
Hi Guys,
I have been looking for the right Construction/Project Management MSc programme of the universities in or around London. I got the idea that if I go to London, do a master and get some of the prominent HSE and maybe six sigma certificates, with the direction of the career service of the university and a bit of luck perhaps not in London but thru agencies or offices I can get a job offer from large companies. I guess I have a good background and it is right time to do this. I've been working for 6 years now and I actually worked in quite good positions (superintendent and for small scale projects as site manager, construction manager) in major projects and past 2 year I have been working for one of the global lead. But tough luck no go in company. I have no other connection so London sounds like the opportunity.

This is where I get confused to pick the right university. For example, I like the programme and career opportunities Brunel, oxford brookes or reading offer however being away from city will prevent me working doing intern or going for job hunting etc. I feel like If I go any off-london centre universities all my chances are tied up to what university can provide. Then again there are mid class universities in the city which tuition costs are rather moderate like westminster, UEL, metropolitian etc. I find myself thinking just go one of these universities and look out job yourself. It got really complicated for me.

I could really use some advice and information about career opportunities london offers. Can anyone put some input what would be the best way to go here.
Why don't you consider doing a distance learning Construction Management MSc? That way you're not tied to any particular location, and you can take a job if one comes along.

There are dozens of CM MSc's offered by distance learning; Bath, CEM, and many more. I'm actually 2/3 through a Construction Management MSc myself (just finished the PGDip stage) at Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen. It's not bad and it's not expensive either.

Maybe worth considering.
London_CM_Msc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi Howard,
Thank you for the comment. It is surely a wise choice. If I had a secure job that I enjoy, I would definitely opt doing a distance learning. I wanted the time of postgraduate study become a personal development period. Living in London, cultural exposure, do some certification programmes aside and eventually benefit the career means of London with all recruitment, career events and links to major construction companies. One of the reason, I scrutinize all the options. Now I am leaning toward UCL and if cant get an acceptance CUL.
PeterLevine
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my opinion, SSSTS London is providing some program based upon construction management. It deals with the health and safety and other things involved in construction works.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads