Review of Jack Martin (Block 1, Kitchen 2, 2012-13)
Four blocks in total, of flats varying from 11-13 people. Perfect location, with en-suite. Everyone you meet in the flat here will be nice people. Overall first impression is good.
- En-Suite rooms, which means you have your own bathroom and shower, which is very convenient.
- Large room size - some of the room sizes may vary depending on which block you are in, but even the smallest rooms are large enough. Plus there is plenty of space for clothes and other things as there is a wardrobe, chest of drawers, shelves, bedside drawers and space under the bed.
- Bedrooms and bathrooms are cleaned - can be a con for some people, but it means you will have a clean bathroom/bedroom.
- WI-FI for all students! (Newly installed 2012/2013 year)
- Kitchen - pretty soundproof and very large - amazing place to host kitchen parties. Also cupboard space is far from minimal, we each get 1 floor cupboard, 1 drawer and 1 wall cupboard.
- Location - very close to sports hall, some/most teaching blocks, Costcutter, Students Union, Arts Centre, etc. Closer to everything in comparison to other halls, all in all, a very good location.
- Very friendly because it is layed out in 3 corridors per floor, per block. (The blocks are 'Z' shaped, so each corridor [each kitchen] is 90 degrees to each other.)
- Key entry, plus only 1 lockable door between the front door and kitchen (therefore more sociable), but the kitchen door is lockable. Some people might say this is a con, however the front door is automatically closing and locking.
- Not masses of fridge/freezer space, we only get half a shelf in the fridge and half a shelf in the freezer. We have found this a pain in the fridge, but not really an issue in the freezer.
- Expensive - at £131 per week (2012-13) its pretty expensive for en-suite, however it is only 30 week lets, so £3930 per year.
- 30 week let can be annoying if you are an international student or really hate packing at the end of each term. However they do give you a moderately sized lockable cupboard in your room to keep items over the holidays, and international students get dibs on putting their belongings in a communal lockable cupboard.
- Quite a long walk to Westwood and the Post Room (near Westwood). But, it does take less than 10 minutes to get to Tesco and Cannon Park Shopping Centre.