The Student Room Logo
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brittanna
Thank you! I think I'll probably put Westwood first now :smile:. If you stayed at Westwood, how did you personally find the distance? Was it an issue, or did you get used to it after a while?

I lived there last year. I studied maths which is pretty close to Westwood, so it wasn't an issue for me. However my girlfriend lived in Cryfield which was about a 15 minute walk which is basically the furthest you could have to walk on campus, unless you need to go to Gibbet Hill for something... All lectures I imagine you can get to in around 10 minutes.

I heard a few posts ago that Westwood is now sharing? I'm interested to know where this came from because I could see no indication of this anywhere.. I know it's having a lot of changes done over the summer, but I haven't seen this.

Also, I loved my year at Westwood, I would choose it again immediately if I could.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Wazoat
Does anyone know where lectures/supervisions for PPE are done? The distance that Sherbourne and Heronbank are from the central campus is putting me off choosing them; how long does it roughly take to walk from them to the central campus?

About 15 minutes, there is a shuttle bus anyway. Don't let the distance put you off trust me it isn't that bad. Plus its good for you. :smile:
Reply 5782
Original post by BlueSam3
There aren't any halls that are that quiet at all (except maybe Bluebell - it's the only one I haven't been in, so I can't tell you much about it. I don't think that box has a particularly strong influence at all - I know people who put "yes" and ended up in Rootes.

Were they in a particularly quiet part of Rootes? It might be that that section is only used to determine your position within each halls, whilst the main halls you're in is determined automatically based on your preferences.
Reply 5783
Because firmers get priority over insurers, is it pretty much a given that if I put say Jack Martin and Rootes, then I have no chance of getting allocated either of them?

I think I'm going to put Arthur Vick first and Cryfield second in that case. Not sure which other ones I will put.
Original post by und
Because firmers get priority over insurers, is it pretty much a given that if I put say Jack Martin and Rootes, then I have no chance of getting allocated either of them?

I think I'm going to put Arthur Vick first and Cryfield second in that case. Not sure which other ones I will put.

I'd say if you did that it would be unlikely you get Jack Martin, however Rootes is huge (over 900 rooms), so I would expect you to end up in there. However, we can't really predict much, I've heard of people ending up in accommodation which they didn't put down on any of their 5 choices, so it's all a bit of a mystery.

Similarly for the second case I'd expect you to end up in Cryfield not Arthur Vick, but there's no way to be sure about this.
Original post by mrigs
Sherbourne and Heronbank are quite far from central campus- atleast 20 minutes.

I do about 10 mins and I live at Heronbank West (most far away part), def less than 15. However it def depends on the individual's walking speed.

President of Heronbank.
To anyone staying at Heronbank: Do you usually walk to tesco to get your groceries and necessities? If so, is it a really long walk or is it manageable. Or is it necessary to take a cab :/
Original post by elenahoyy
To anyone staying at Heronbank: Do you usually walk to tesco to get your groceries and necessities? If so, is it a really long walk or is it manageable. Or is it necessary to take a cab :/

Campus isn't that big! It's easily manageable. :tongue:

A lot of students do however become incredibly lazy with this walk and do all their shopping at CostCutter, which contrary to the name is a complete rip off. :lol:
Reply 5788
Ok, however straightforward it may sound.

I am a postgrad and would prefer to be around my own age/level of study. Should I even consider campus? Or all postgrads live in Leamington?

And also, what's with the buses? Are they 24-hour(probably not:smile:)? How hard it is to get from the University to Leamington, for example, after a pub/library night/both?

Hi everyone:smile:
Reply 5789
Original post by EllieK06
Ok, however straightforward it may sound.

I am a postgrad and would prefer to be around my own age/level of study. Should I even consider campus? Or all postgrads live in Leamington?

And also, what's with the buses? Are they 24-hour(probably not:smile:)? How hard it is to get from the University to Leamington, for example, after a pub/library night/both?

Hi everyone:smile:

If you live on campus then you'll definitely be put with other postgrads, and it's usually more convenient among other advantages. If you're off campus then it's worth asking about the status of the people in a group you join.

The buses aren't 24 hours but they do run into the early hours of the morning.

I'm in a bit of a rush so can't dig out links, but some useful things to look for are:

Warwick su website, go to the forums and find the 'housemates wanted' forum to see groups to join if you were to live off campus.

Go to the stagecoach website, find the region Warwick and bus u1 (unibus) for timetables for getting to Leamington.

Go to national express Coventry and routes 11 and 12 for buses to Coventry.
Hey guys,

Looking for one housemate for a lovely house in Canley next year - its a 15/20 minute walk from campus depending on speed, and it is right next to Tesco. The house would be ideal for anyone; from freshers to postgraduates! If you'd like more information message me / email me on [email protected] or see our post here:

https://www.warwicksu.com/forums/postlist/38429/

Thanks guys!
Reply 5791
Original post by ttoby
If you live on campus then you'll definitely be put with other postgrads, and it's usually more convenient among other advantages. If you're off campus then it's worth asking about the status of the people in a group you join.

The buses aren't 24 hours but they do run into the early hours of the morning.

I'm in a bit of a rush so can't dig out links, but some useful things to look for are:

Warwick su website, go to the forums and find the 'housemates wanted' forum to see groups to join if you were to live off campus.

Go to the stagecoach website, find the region Warwick and bus u1 (unibus) for timetables for getting to Leamington.

Go to national express Coventry and routes 11 and 12 for buses to Coventry.

Thanks a lot! I have a more clear picture now
Reply 5792
For anyone who has lived at Heronbank is there really a lack of fridge space for individuals? I'm not sure whether this will actually be a problem but it would be great to get some insight. I'm trying to pick between Heronbank and Sherbourne as one of my choices and from what I've read there seems to be a big difference in this regard.
Reply 5793
Hi, I want to find out which of the halls is closest to the Warwick Arts centre, I tried looking at this map:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/maps/campusmap/94959_new_campus_map_oct_08.pdf

but I noticed its missing some halls e.g. Bluebell. Also, why is this document:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/facilities_summary_table_1213.pdf

missing some of the halls (e.g. Tocil)
Reply 5794
Original post by GPODT
Hi, I want to find out which of the halls is closest to the Warwick Arts centre, I tried looking at this map:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/maps/campusmap/94959_new_campus_map_oct_08.pdf

but I noticed its missing some halls e.g. Bluebell. Also, why is this document:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/facilities_summary_table_1213.pdf

missing some of the halls (e.g. Tocil)

You might be referring to out of date documents. Here is the latest version of the map: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/maps/campusmap/ Also, to answer your question, Whitefields is closest but the distances are so small that it is still worth considering halls that are a little bit further away as well.

Tocil is in that table (3rd column from the right) but the availability of halls to undergraduates and postgraduates can change each year and new halls are built which might be why some halls are missing. Looking at the filename, it could be a year out of date. Here is the more current table: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/facilities_summary_table_1314.pdf

Actually, Whitefields is missing from that table; I have heard that they were getting rid of it so you would need to pick another halls to be close to the Arts centre.

To get the most up to date versions of documents, search for things like warwick campus map and warwick accommodation then use documents from the official website.
Which of the accommodations have wifi in the room?

Would be great if anyone could give me a comparison between heronbank and bluebell, because i'm in a dilemma as to which to put for my first choice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5796

Would be great if anyone could give me a comparison between heronbank and bluebell, because i'm in a dilemma as to which to put for my first choice.

Here is the list of which halls have wifi: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/servicessupport/networkservices/resnet/wirelessproject/

Although you can find out more information about both halls from the summary tables and other material available on the Warwick website, as well as reviews on the first page of this thread, the main points to note are: Bluebell is newer and closer to many important locations you might want to go to. However, Bluebell is also very expensive.

Even if they don't have wifi, you still have a wired internet connection to use - so don't worry that you won't have internet in your room - you will! :smile:
Reply 5798
Hi everyone! I have just chosen the accommodation and I put Rootes as my frist choice. My only concerns is that would the kitchen be extremely busy during meal time? And will there be enough space for everyone to store (like in fridge or in cupboard)? If not, I wonder whether I would be allowed to buy a little fridge in my room????
Looking forward to the answers! Thanks!
Reply 5799
Original post by ttoby
You might be referring to out of date documents. Here is the latest version of the map: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/maps/campusmap/ Also, to answer your question, Whitefields is closest but the distances are so small that it is still worth considering halls that are a little bit further away as well.

Tocil is in that table (3rd column from the right) but the availability of halls to undergraduates and postgraduates can change each year and new halls are built which might be why some halls are missing. Looking at the filename, it could be a year out of date. Here is the more current table: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/facilities_summary_table_1314.pdf

Actually, Whitefields is missing from that table; I have heard that they were getting rid of it so you would need to pick another halls to be close to the Arts centre.

To get the most up to date versions of documents, search for things like warwick campus map and warwick accommodation then use documents from the official website.

Ah cheers! One last question, the halls that do not have a bath with a shower over it, have the shower separately right?

Thanks

Quick Reply