The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

yeh they normally put loud on ground > quiet on top

I am on ground :smile:

We are allowed to smoke in our rooms, and we smoke in the kitchen as well, although you aren't allowed to. The alarms only go off in the corridors- everywhere else only has heat (not smoke) sensors.

AV your not allowed to smoke anywhere in the building and the alarms are VERY sensitive.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
minicoopa

We are allowed to smoke in our rooms, and we smoke in the kitchen as well, although you aren't allowed to. The alarms only go off in the corridors- everywhere else only has heat (not smoke) sensors.

AV your not allowed to smoke anywhere in the building and the alarms are VERY sensitive.

You're allowed to smoke in the rooms in AV when I was there... my neighbour smoked (the smell somehow came through the walls :confused: ) and so did one of my other friends. Maybe its changed since.
Reply 102
Can't smoke in Westwood building. Though people upstairs do and keep setting off the alarm at 3 in the morning... we're all gonna kill them...
minicoopa

I thought the detectors in rooms are smoke sensitive, just like the corridor. At least one fire alarm so far this term in M-P has been because of smoking in a room, as although you can smoke in the room too much smoke from smoking will make it go off. The kitchen's are heat sensitive though, which is why you don't open the door to get rid of smoke when things catch fire. :redface:
Reply 104
I'm gonna try and avoid making this one sound like I'm providing services...

Anyone, what sort of people are in JM? Please? :smile:?
Reply 105
Nothing's changed. You still can smoke in AV
s_rishi1

That really depends on which kitchen you're in. In JM4, where I am, the kitchens on the ground floor are quite noisy and have loads of people who like to go out a lot - just as much as in Rootes. My corridor, on the other hand is very quiet (because I said on my accommodation form that I wanted a quieter area). In general JM is the best place for the people 'in between', as has already been said - ie people who enjoy going out quite a lot but also like a quieter environment to come back to to sleep and work (now and then :P) It's usually thought of as being quieter than Rootes but more sociable than AV. Perfect mix really... :wink: Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions! :smile:
Reply 107
The detectors in Rootes rooms are smoke sensitive but there set so normal cigarette smoke won't set them off. If you had a shisha pipe or something you could probably set them off.
Reply 108
So how much information do you get to put on the application form about what kind of housemates you'd like? I hadn't realised you got a say in this, about whether you want to live with quieter/louder people, etc.
Basically on our accommodation form there were a few set questions with a few (mainly yes/no) answers you could select. I think these were:

1) Would you like to be in a quiet area?
2) Would you mind living with smokers?
3) What time do you usually go to bed? (Before 11pm, 11-1, after 1) <-I think
4) Would you mind living in a same sex area?

I can't remember if there were any other questions..(?)
Then there was a section where you had to say a bit about yourself (rather than the sort of people you wanted to be placed with). I think it told us to write down our hobbies, how much we went out etc. It was quite general. You could write as much or as little as you wanted on that bit. Hope this helps!
Reply 110
Thanks a lot musical_moose, that's really helpful. I'm pleased to know that there's quite a personal input into choosing accomodation, as I was a bit worried that I'd end up with people of very different habits to my own!
You can write whatever you want, when it comes to the application form. I put on mine that I love baking cakes..
happydinosaur
You can write whatever you want, when it comes to the application form. I put on mine that I love baking cakes..

I should come and stay with you then .... :p:
....you can get away with weed in the rootes rooms as well- do you think they set the fire alarms to that too?

No i think they are just turned off- we smoke shisha in our rooms too.

Yeh- be truthful with what you write because they put you with people you would be good with then (usually)
Reply 114
minicoopa
....you can get away with weed in the rootes rooms as well- do you think they set the fire alarms to that too?

No i think they are just turned off- we smoke shisha in our rooms too.

Yeh- be truthful with what you write because they put you with people you would be good with then (usually)

In the past fire alarms have been set off by shisha, maybe they've changed the settings now or when it happened it was because someone had 10 shisha pipes or something.
Reply 115
In our Cryfield block, apparently the smoke-alarms are so sensitive, we get fined if we burn incense or candles in our rooms! I guess that's wat we get for putting "I'd rather not live with smokers" in our apps...
Reply 116
s_rishi1
I'm gonna try and avoid making this one sound like I'm providing services...

Varies. As it always does in every hall. JM people seem to be generally slightly more reserved, but still up for a good time. The middle ground between AV (hermits) and Rootes (animals) on the scale of evil.
Reply 117
aza484
Varies. As it always does in every hall. JM people seem to be generally slightly more reserved, but still up for a good time. The middle ground between AV (hermits) and Rootes (animals) on the scale of evil.

:biggrin: Sounds just like me!

Excellent, thanks a lot.
Reply 118
This thread has sold me JM I think :biggrin:
Reply 119
There are loads of "middle ground" people in Rootes as well though.

Quick Reply