The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

would anyone know where are the most L100 economics students?

and does it help at all being near students on the same course as you?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 121
There's a mixture everywhere. You'll often end up with some people on your course on your floor.
Mine is:
3 x history
1 x PPE
3 x MORSE
2 x Law
1 x sociology
2 x engineering or physics or something boring!
Reply 122
Ok this year I'm in H Block (old) Rootes:

PROS:
-Nice sized rooms with sink and good layout.

-Lots of room in cupboards in both room and kitchen.

-Walking distance of everything on campus! So you can literally role out of bed 30 mins before lectures.

-Some rooms have good views of the fields at the back (depends which side you're on)

- Loads of likeminded people who you generally get on with because you see them so often - lots of social cohesion!

- Being in Rootes is cool - it's the place most first years seem to be because it hold so mnay people - i'm proud to call myself a Rootes girl and will be for the rest of my time at warwick!

- The cleaners are cool - ours is lovely.

CONS:
- Ok no matter what peopl say about quiet areas etc. Rootes is a noisy hall, along with whitefields it is probably the most noisy on campus. This is because the corridors really echo, people come in late at night - you hear it. The doors bang - your neighbours come in - you hear it. The union is very close and particularly in the block I'm in if there is a big night at the Union (maybe 5 times a week) you hear the music dull in the background until it stops at 2 or 3 in the morning. You hear everyone get chucked out of the union - many of whom live in Rootes - drunk people do tend to scream and shout outside your window. If you have a noisy neighbour it's kinda hell! Like I do this year; the walls are very thin.
- The showers are not up to much, they go moldy everyday but the cleaners to their best. I don't use the baths. I often have to wait for a shower but never the toilet.

- The kitchen gets very dirty very quickly, more so than in the posh ensuite places - JM and AV.

-If you're stuck in a bad kitchen with people you don't see eye to eye with it can be very difficult. I have one friend who moved out of old Rootes to JM last term because of the noise and people.

- Most importantly FIRE ALARMS, this year so far (we have been here 15 weeks) there have been around 30 fire alarms - no exaggeration. They are usually between 1 and 3 am though we have had them at 3.30 and 8.45am aswell as two in a row at 2.30am and one in the snow. I hear you ask can nothing be done? Well the people who set them off are drunk and move around floors so they can't be caught and there is very little the wardens can do. This happened last year also in Rootes and the year before so it's not going to stop next year unless something drastic happens!

There you go - lots of things to bare in mind when applying. Good luck!
New rootes is pretty cool. I have had a really good corridor... we are furthest from the union from each of the four blocks of rootes and can sometimes hear the music but we have double glazing so it;s not too bad. Yes can def hear people a lot. Our cleaner is very thorough. Kitchen/showers/loos very clean never had to wait for shower/loo.

Fire alarms happen wayyyy to often but you know somtimes it can be quite funny watching peoople do the walk of shame after having gone home together etc.. :smile:
Reply 124
Re: loud music... you can defo hear it in Rootes H block most nights - it annoys me so I usually wear ear plugs. None of my friends do though cuz it doesn't bother them (though to be fair my room is nearers!).

Elvliz - did you put you wanted a quiet area? Cuz I'm sure if you did you wouldl probably get one which is conserably less loud that most of rootes ie. top floor! Cuz it seems that we're both in H block but up on the top where I am you rarely hear people being really noisy!

As for fire alarms -- yes they are absolute bitches... several times a week, usually 2am ish.
Reply 125
Cessie
Re: loud music... you can defo hear it in Rootes H block most nights - it annoys me so I usually wear ear plugs. None of my friends do though cuz it doesn't bother them (though to be fair my room is nearers!).

Elvliz - did you put you wanted a quiet area? Cuz I'm sure if you did you wouldl probably get one which is conserably less loud that most of rootes ie. top floor! Cuz it seems that we're both in H block but up on the top where I am you rarely hear people being really noisy!

As for fire alarms -- yes they are absolute bitches... several times a week, usually 2am ish.

yep i put i wanted a quiet area on my form and wrote it in my desciption but got the second floor! You like the top floor? Wish i was in a quieter area sometimes!
Reply 126
Cessie
There's a mixture everywhere. You'll often end up with some people on your course on your floor.
Mine is:
3 x history
1 x PPE
3 x MORSE
2 x Law
1 x sociology
2 x engineering or physics or something boring!

haha be nice, i'll be a physicist there soon!
Reply 127
i live in arthur vick at the minute and love it, if anyone has any questions feel free to pm me and if i can't answer it i will find someone on my corridor that can :smile:
Reply 128
elvliz
yep i put i wanted a quiet area on my form and wrote it in my desciption but got the second floor! You like the top floor? Wish i was in a quieter area sometimes!

I like it... but it's a bit erm... quiet.:confused: Haha.

No, I do like it, I have 3 really good mates and pretty much get along with everyone. There are a couple of people who literally don't speak though!
Plus there's always plenty of room in the kitchen cuz there's less people up here!
Reply 129
Are there any stats on how oversubscribed places like JM will be?
Does anyone live at Claycroft or know anything about it?
I've only met a couple of people from Claycroft.. I think a lot of international students stay there because it's a 39 week let (ie you have to pay in the holidays). It's the closest hall to Tesco, so you don't have to struggle back with heavy bags very far! I get the impression it's generally quite quiet there, but I could be wrong! :smile: In case you haven't seen the info about Claycroft on the Warwick website, here's the link:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/oncampus/claycroft/
Reply 132
I like the sound of westwood!!
I'm joining this autumn...if I meet the condition
should I apply for accomodation now? the student people at college are saying to wait for all my universities to reply..(only one left) before I make a final choice and apply for accomodation.
(confused)
Reply 133
When are you meant to apply for accomodation, I have not yet.
Reply 134
I don't think you can apply for accommodation yet can you? This thread seems quite negative towards AV but its really nice. Last year on one of the open days AV was open. I don't know if they will do that again this year but its worth a look if it is. Its the kind of place you can work and play, and lets be honest, you aren't just going to come to uni to party...you also want a degree out of it...so living somewhere where its quiet enough so you can get some work done is a good idea.
Reply 135
Lil !*!
I don't think you can apply for accommodation yet can you? This thread seems quite negative towards AV but its really nice. Last year on one of the open days AV was open. I don't know if they will do that again this year but its worth a look if it is. Its the kind of place you can work and play, and lets be honest, you aren't just going to come to uni to party...you also want a degree out of it...so living somewhere where its quiet enough so you can get some work done is a good idea.

I went in AV last year on a general open day and spoke to some students, they were all really nice, and the actual accommodation was like hotel standard haha. I really liked it but was admittedly slightly put off by some comments on here.
Reply 136
I just have a brief question. It says they guarantee the accommodation for the first year. What about second and third? Do you HAVE to live off campus or is there away to stay there?

tnx
Reply 137
yea and what about people on MMath, is it true they can come back to live on campus in the 4th year?
Reply 138
some people come back on in their final year i think. but not 2nd as far as i am aware
mpat89
yea and what about people on MMath, is it true they can come back to live on campus in the 4th year?

Yes, some come back onto campus in their fourth year.

Quick Reply

Latest