Cat parasite linked to mental illness, schizophrenia

Watch
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thought this might be interesting to some posters here.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cat-para...schizophrenia/

Found this pretty interesting, I always had cats when I was growing up.

I read the actual study and it's not quite as robust as this article makes out but worth reading nonetheless.
Dancatpro
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
IIRC you can only get this parasite once your immune system has been completely ruined ... in which case you have bigger problems
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dancatpro)
IIRC you can only get this parasite once your immune system has been completely ruined ... in which case you have bigger problems
You only show symptoms if you immune system is compromised, but I think anyone can get it. The article mentions 60 million Americans possibly have it, but obviously 60 million Americans don't develop schizophrenia.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
Then why do physically healthy people develop schizophrenia potentially from the infection?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
You only show symptoms if you immune system is compromised, but I think anyone can get it. The article mentions 60 million Americans possibly have it, but obviously 60 million Americans don't develop schizophrenia.
Would you suggest that stress as compromises the immune system enough to let it cause schizophrenia?
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Would you suggest that stress as compromises the immune system enough to let it cause schizophrenia?
Do you mean childhood stress or stress around the time that the person develops schizophrenia?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Do you mean childhood stress or stress around the time that the person develops schizophrenia?
Either really, I was just wondering whether the other poster was suggesting it wasn't reliable because the infection would only show symptoms if the person is immune suppressed and people with schizophrenia aren't necessarily immune suppressed. So I was wondering whether he was suggesting that the stress of certain life events could stress the body enough to suppress the immune system and as a result damage mental health or that instead that he doesn't believe the infection to be the problem in the case of schizophrenics...

If any of that makes sense.
Arkarian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Then why do physically healthy people develop schizophrenia potentially from the infection?
Then why do people catch colds or develop flu?
Normally viruses have a head start before being stopped, if it is linked with a mental condition then the side effect may persist because of the altered physiological state.

Edit:

You also could think of it like physical damage is still there no matter how much a person would change, if a person notices something it's unlikely that after noticing it they will stop noticing it because it will be in their mind.

Easiest example is if someone told you about the bear trap in your room and you found it, it's unlikely that if you are slightly drunk to forget about it because it is bad.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can I not even enjoy cuddling my cat anymore
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Arkarian)
Then why do people catch colds or develop flu?
Normally viruses have a head start before being stopped, if it is linked with a mental condition then the side effect may persist because of the altered physiological state.

Edit:

You also could think of it like physical damage is still there no matter how much a person would change, if a person notices something it's unlikely that after noticing it they will stop noticing it because it will be in their mind.

Easiest example is if someone told you about the bear trap in your room and you found it, it's unlikely that if you are slightly drunk to forget about it because it is bad.
That's what I thought it was suggesting.
Arkarian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's what I thought it was suggesting.
good good
my1hotmail
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I suffer from severe depression and i have two cats. quite worrying if it is true. I hope i dont get that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
61.82%
No (42)
38.18%

Watched Threads