The Student Room Group

Media/Graphic A levels are difficult?

Why do all the *less achedemically able* students seem to think that Media Studies, Photography, Graphics, Art ect are the "hardest" subjects?

I'd love to hear a valid argument, it truly confuses me :smile:

Like, you get your coursework marked and given tips/ ways to improve half way through... Imagine in an A level Maths Exam an examiner came and marked your paper, you got a break then he gave it back to you with feedback on what to improve :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Would love that.

And no scary exams! Love it.

So yeah, please explain! Thanks in advance!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

(For the record, I take Maths, Media, and Biology)
I think science/maths students apply the wrong standards of difficulty to creative subjects. Neither the content nor the exam is difficult to do in the same manner that you may not understand a maths question.
However, being good at a creative subject requires dedication. Coursework can take up a good few months, and media's only 50% coursework. There's no clear syllabus where you can definitely confirm that you know everything, you just have to learn a lot and hope. Also, I personally found A2 media tricky as I learnt half-way through the year that my essay skills are approximately 0, and it took a lot of practice to get them up to speed.
In science/maths, you can typically learn the exams via past papers and knowing the spec, but media you can't. It's more about having certain skills, which aren't necessarily well defined.
I'm not about to say media's the hardest subject, and honestly if you have an awareness of the world around you then you'll probably scrape a C in the AS exam. But the difficulties when you're aiming for top grades is different to science/maths, and you can't really make a direct comparison between the two.

Quick Reply

Latest