Turn on thread page Beta

Sociology A2 Exam - Mass Media watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what topics could come up this year on the 15th June for the OCR exam board?

ReputationRep:
    Moral panics, social construction of news and gender came up last year.

I feel like news ownership and something to do with social class or effects of the media. Age and class haven't come up for a while.

ReputationRep:
    SCLY3 I'm thinking - audience models, representations of disability and feminist views of the media.

SCLY4 - Corporate/State crime, control & punishment, and for T&M either Policy or Postmodernism.

For SCLY3 Media I think the 18 mark question could be New media or News values etc. 33 mark questions could be Marxist/Pluralist views, or representations of gender/disability/ethnicity, or even News again. I agree the 9 mark could be on audience effects and I never rule out Globalisation - that seems to pop up all the time.

For SCLY4 21 mark state/corporate crime, subcultural, age/ethnicity or even suicide. 15 mark - questionnaires, 33 mark postmodernism or social policy, although I've not ruled out Interactionism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jw3010)
    Moral panics, social construction of news and gender came up last year.

I feel like news ownership and something to do with social class or effects of the media. Age and class haven't come up for a while.
    Thanks for replying, I'm hoping ownership comes up and that they repeat construction of the news. I haven't covered representations because its come up twice, i was just wondering what everyone else thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennifer.tariah)
    SCLY3 I'm thinking - audience models, representations of disability and feminist views of the media.

SCLY4 - Corporate/State crime, control & punishment, and for T&M either Policy or Postmodernism.

For SCLY3 Media I think the 18 mark question could be New media or News values etc. 33 mark questions could be Marxist/Pluralist views, or representations of gender/disability/ethnicity, or even News again. I agree the 9 mark could be on audience effects and I never rule out Globalisation - that seems to pop up all the time.

For SCLY4 21 mark state/corporate crime, subcultural, age/ethnicity or even suicide. 15 mark - questionnaires, 33 mark postmodernism or social policy, although I've not ruled out Interactionism
    Thanks for replying, i just have 2 fat 50marker questions to answer so we're doing different exams but either way sociology is too much -__-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricee)
    Thanks for replying, i just have 2 fat 50marker questions to answer so we're doing different exams but either way sociology is too much -__-
    oh snap i didnt read that you are on ocr! sorry about that! good luck lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricee)
    Thanks for replying, I'm hoping ownership comes up and that they repeat construction of the news. I haven't covered representations because its come up twice, i was just wondering what everyone else thought
    I doubt they would repeat the construction of news as I have looked through past questions and they always alternate between the two every year - there hasn't been a year where they have included both of them though.

Age and class has only come up twice so I feel like one of those will come up. Also after looking through past questions, they have always put:

- one on ownership or social construction of news
    - one on social groups (ethnicity/gender/age/class)
    - one on the other topics (effects on wider society/direct and indirect effects/research methods/moral panics)

ReputationRep:
    post modernism is highly likely

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any exemplar answers? My book has them for every topic but media

ReputationRep:
    This girl is giving advice on the internet but is the one that crys after exams :'(

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2015

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.