Birmingham/Manchester/Newcastle for Civil Engineering? Watch

crytung
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I will be graduated from Nottingham BEng Civil Engineering. Planning to do master course in the coming September. I've got 3 offers but I don't know which one is the best for me. Need some advises!!!

Birmingham: MSc Civil Engineering
Manchester: MSc Construction Project Management
Newcastle: MSc Transport Planning & Engineering (Probably not this one!!!)
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by crytung)
I will be graduated from Nottingham BEng Civil Engineering. Planning to do master course in the coming September. I've got 3 offers but I don't know which one is the best for me. Need some advises!!!

Birmingham: MSc Civil Engineering
Manchester: MSc Construction Project Management
Newcastle: MSc Transport Planning & Engineering (Probably not this one!!!)
Just out of curiosity, why did you not stay at on to complete the MEng?
crytung
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
Just out of curiosity, why did you not stay at on to complete the MEng?
Unfortunately I didn't do well in year 2 and rejected by my uni.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunately I didn't do well in year 2 and rejected by my uni.
Okay. What do you want to do initially in your career? The MSc in civil engineering is likely going to be a lot more technical than the construction project management one. I'm not sure if there is much value to an MSc in some sort of project management without first having at least some previous experience in engineering, although construction isn't area so things might be different there.
crytung
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
Okay. What do you want to do initially in your career? The MSc in civil engineering is likely going to be a lot more technical than the construction project management one. I'm not sure if there is much value to an MSc in some sort of project management without first having at least some previous experience in engineering, although construction isn't area so things might be different there.
A friend of mine say that Project management might seems useless at the beginning but when you get to a higher position , there will be lots of decisions making and project management will become useful at that time. I dont know which one is more useful for me to pursue my career in civil engineering.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A friend of mine say that Project management might seems useless at the beginning but when you get to a higher position , there will be lots of decisions making and project management will become useful at that time. I dont know which one is more useful for me to pursue my career in civil engineering.
If it was me I would do the straight civil engineering MSc. Most (in fact all that I'm aware of) the project managers at my company started off technical and worked their way into a project management type position.
crytung
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
If it was me I would do the straight civil engineering MSc. Most (in fact all that I'm aware of) the project managers at my company started off technical and worked their way into a project management type position.
Thank you for your opinions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads