Barcelona of 2015 are the greatest club side in history Watch

Poll: Who is the greatest club side of the modern era?
Barcelona 2015 (9)
16.07%
Bayern 2013 (7)
12.5%
Barcelona 2009-2011 (20)
35.71%
Other (6)
10.71%
Arsenal fans take over this poll like every other on the internet (14)
25%
Pimped Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I said 'in history' to get your attention. I have no way of telling you if they're better than Cruyff's Ajax, Beckenbauer's Bayern, Paisley's Liverpool or Di Stefano's Madrid, because not me, nor anyone else on these boards saw them play.

But this Barca side are definitely the best side of the modern era.

They have a CB and keeper combo that conceded just 21 all season in the league, two of the best four fullbacks of the decade, and a midfield boasting the world's best DM, one of the great box-to-box players of today, and the best midfield partnership in living memory.

And up front... it's early days, but I think they could well be the greatest attack of all time. Boasting the talisman of the Brazilian national team and scorer of 39 goals this season, the best striker since Ronaldo Fenomeno at his peak, and, in Messi, the greatest player of all time, having perhaps his greatest season ever.

I think they'd wipe the floor with any other team in recent history. Man for man and on the pitch.
The Shed End
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Arsenal 2003-2004. They lost no games (drew 12) hurr durr
Depleted
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
LOL

United 07-08 pal
Pimped Butterfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Shed End)
Losing at home to a Wayne Bridge goal in the CL quarters doesn't count, still the #greatestever
Lyrical Prodigy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah Enrique done good.

You voted that last option amirite
difeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Barca 08-11, especially 10-11 season

More points, more possession, more good
The Shed End
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally I still think Barca's defence is a little of a liability, could be even more so if Dani Alves doesnt sign a new contract. Would take this front 3 over any other of all time though and seem to have Suarez for his peak years, Neymar for even more and Messi could probably keep going for another 9 or 10 years plus when you look at players like Pirlo whos still performing at the very top as he approaches his 40s.

No teams ever defended the European Cup in its modern format, and their transfer.embargo could work for or against them in that regard. They'll have a sense of stability where no new players coming in can disrupt their balance-but on the other hand they have no replacement for the leadership and iconic status that Xavi holds. Their Cm options are a little limited too and a long term injury to Iniesta or Rakitic could cause problems wrt to rotation of their main stars.

Sensible that they tied Pedro down to a new contract and.you'd imagine they'd bring back Song for cover if not anything else. Without doubt been the best side In Europe this year, conveniently coinciding with Messi's return to superhuman form which we hadn't seen since the Guardiola days
Zander01
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tbh Im really stuck on whether peps barca would beat this barca

Xavi and iniesta were at their pea, messi was ridicukously ruthless and their pressing was relentless. However they were vulnerable to counter attacks which MSN could easily exploits.

Few things are certains though. barca are greatest club in modern history.

Messi is goat

Neymar is the future best player in the world and will win multiple balon d'ors

Xavi n iniesta are arguably the greatest midefielders of time.
Depleted
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)

But this Barca side are definitely the best side of the modern era.

two of the best four fullbacks of the decade
Gary Neville is retired and Evra plays for Juve

and a midfield boasting the world's best DM

one of the great box-to-box players of today

and the best midfield partnership in living memory

And up front... it's early days, but I think they could well be the greatest attack of all time.

Boasting the best striker since Ronaldo Fenomeno at his peak,

I think they'd wipe the floor with any other team in recent history. Man for man and on the pitch.
Depleted
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)

good
The Shed End
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=Depleted;56682037]

Gary Neville is retired and Evra plays for Juve

[QUOTE=Pimped Butterfly;56681287]
Boasting the best striker since Ronaldo Fenomeno at his peak,

Strong delusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depleted
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Strong delusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
True

Suppose I should've put Carrick over Blind
AR_95
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Voted for 5th option
Pimped Butterfly
Rep:
?
Without doubt been the best side In Europe this year, conveniently coinciding with Messi's return to superhuman form which we hadn't seen since the Guardiola days.
Didn't qua already shut you down about Pep/Messi lol? Suarez is the main difference between this team and the Pep teams, he's the one who's made it possible. Sure the Messi return to form is great but he was amazing for Tito too, 60 goals in 50 games.

(Original post by difeo)

Well Barca had 72% possession in the league season 2010-11, and had 70% this year. And in the much lauded 2011 final, they had 63% possession, vs 62% this year against an undoubtedly stronger team. You gonna argue that the 1-2% possession reduction isn't worth the integration of Suarez and insane counter-attacking capabilities, along with conventional number 9 play, that they can use?
Zander01
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Didn't qua already shut you down about Pep/Messi lol? Suarez is the main difference between this team and the Pep teams, he's the one who's made it possible. Sure the Messi return to form is great but he was amazing for Tito too, 60 goals in 50 games.

Well Barca had 72% possession in the league season 2010-11, and had 70% this year. And in the much lauded 2011 final, they had 63% possession, vs 62% this year against an undoubtedly stronger team. You gonna argue that the 1-2% possession reduction isn't worth the integration of Suarez and insane counter-attacking capabilities, along with conventional number 9 play, that they can use?
Yeah not to mention beating the most expensive team ever essembled to the league title, despite the fact that teams best player had his best ever season too and the longest recorded win streak.

Think I'm leaning towards this barca side
TornadoGR4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's impossible to put team of modern era against team of 80s, team of 50s etc.

The sport was played so much differently. An 80s ref & a '15 ref would officiate massively different
Pimped Butterfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zander01)
Yeah not to mention beating the most expensive team ever essembled to the league title, despite the fact that teams best player had his best ever season too and the longest recorded win streak.

Think I'm leaning towards this barca side
Pep's Barca offered more 'control', people say. A myth debunked by those possession statistics. Sure, Xavi and Iniesta monopolised the ball better than today's Iniesta and Rakitic, but Busquets is now a much more important asset in the possession play, those stats don't lie.

And that's forgetting how vulnerable Pep's Barca were against set pieces, and how this team isn't. The 2009 team won possession 51-49 and conceded more shots than their opposition (11 vs 12). LOADS of control there, right? Sure, in 2011 they were great with preventing shots at them, but it was a mental domination of a pretty poor United team, leagues and leagues below today's Juve.
Zander01
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pep's Barca offered more 'control', people say. A myth debunked by those possession statistics. Sure, Xavi and Iniesta monopolised the ball better than today's Iniesta and Rakitic, but Busquets is now a much more important asset in the possession play, those stats don't lie.

And that's forgetting how vulnerable Pep's Barca were against set pieces, and how this team isn't. The 2009 team won possession 51-49 and conceded more shots than their opposition (11 vs 12). LOADS of control there, right? Sure, in 2011 they were great with preventing shots at them, but it was a mental domination of a pretty poor United team, leagues and leagues below today's Juve.
Yeah I agree. This team are much more well balanced.

Peps barca were just freaks contstantly going forward and attacking and winning the ball back. This team can sit back and defend while also counter atracking and having the benefit of having that unfair front 3.
Depleted
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
but it was a mental domination of a pretty poor United team, leagues and leagues below today's Juve.
Good one
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The thing that Pep's lacked is the striker, though. Barcelona now have a focal point with Suarez, somebody to stretch defences and spark counter-attacks which makes them way more attractive to the eye than Guardiola's incarnation.

Luis Enrique has a better win percentage, which is mad given the calls for his head pre-Christmas. They certainly have the best front three of all-time, and I prefer watching them due to Suarez being a lynchpin and their ability to soak up pressure etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (56)
25.81%
No (161)
74.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise