Saxandthecity
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys, I know I'm asking tons of questions here recently but I really appreciate all the help.

In this video on electromagnetic induction, at about 17:55, he says that the frequency of rotation of the coil is equal to the frequency of the generated AC current - but isn't the generated AC current reversed every half cycle of rotation of the coil? Is that a mistake in the vid or am I missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Hj...4&spfreload=10

Thanks.
AndyW123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Saxandthecity)
Hey guys, I know I'm asking tons of questions here recently but I really appreciate all the help.

In this video on electromagnetic induction, at about 17:55, he says that the frequency of rotation of the coil is equal to the frequency of the generated AC current - but isn't the generated AC current reversed every half cycle of rotation of the coil? Is that a mistake in the vid or am I missing something?

Thanks.
I think you are correct, in the diagram he has to the left the generator has a split ring commutator which means that the currect generated is more or less D.C. right? I think he is now talking about if there was no split ring commutator and so now the current is in fact A.C.
Would love someone elses opinion on this!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Saxandthecity)

Thanks.
(Original post by AndyW123)
I think you are correct, in the diagram he has to the left the generator has a split ring commutator which means that the currect generated is more or less D.C. right? I think he is now talking about if there was no split ring commutator and so now the current is in fact A.C.
Would love someone elses opinion on this!
The video is correct.

The current reverses every half rotation which means the A.C. frequency is the same as the coil rotational frequency.

AndyW123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
The video is correct.

The current reverses every half rotation which means the A.C. frequency is the same as the coil rotational frequency.

I know that, but if we was refering to the diagram that he had drawn slightly to the left that had a split ring commutator then surely the output is D.C. right?
I get that had he have drawn it normall ylike in the picture then it would be A.C.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AndyW123)
I know that, but if we was refering to the diagram that he had drawn slightly to the left that had a split ring commutator then surely the output is D.C. right?
I get that had he have drawn it normall ylike in the picture then it would be A.C.
OK. I ran the video from after the bit about the split-ring.

In which case the output is D.C. with a ripple component cycling at 2x the rotational frequency.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (11)
7.33%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (25)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (42)
28%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.33%

Watched Threads