rochelleyolanda
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How important is work experience? Is it possible to get an offer without it or with little work experience?
uer23
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes its very likely you will get an offer, but i'd strongly reconsider doing a degree in Biomedical Science if I was you, unless your goal is to be a 'Biomedical Scientist' in which case UCL would not be the best option. Choose somewhere with a sandwich year that gives you the option to complete the IBMS portfolio and thereafter HCPC reg. Trust me!
rochelleyolanda
Rep:
?
IBMS portfolio and thereafter HCPC reg? Can you explain
tan030
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's the main difference between biochemistry and biomedical sciences?
uer23
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rochelleyolanda)
IBMS portfolio and thereafter HCPC reg? Can you explain
So you're considering doing a degree in Biomedical Science and never heard of these terms ?

Basically in the UK, to practice under the title of a Biomedical Scientist, you must be registered with the HCPC (Health Care Professions Council). With a Biomedical Science degree that has a sandwich year, during this year you undertake placements within a hospital completing this IBMS portfolio (Institute of Biomedical Science; essentially it's the professional body for Biomedical Scientists in the UK similar to the GMC for doctors who assess and regulate degrees ensuring they are up to the standards required). The portfolio essentially is competency based training that ensure you have met certain standards and competencies outlined.

IBMS Registration

Just so that you know, not all Biomedical Science degrees mean you are a fully qualified Biomedical Scientist at the end of it. It MUST be an IBMS accredited degree; See Link here for list of universities that are. Biomedical Science at UCL is NOT IBMS accredited, so you will have to top up and study further modules after graduating in addition to looking for a training post at a hospital. Which is a right pain in the arse, and is rarely ever achieved.

For example this Biomedical Science course at Westminster is BOTH 'IBMS accredited' and includes the possibility of doing a sandwich year for completing the portfolio. So at the end of this degree you will be in the position to apply for a Band 5 Biomedical Scientist post.
tan030
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by uer23)
Yes its very likely you will get an offer, but i'd strongly reconsider doing a degree in Biomedical Science if I was you, unless your goal is to be a 'Biomedical Scientist' in which case UCL would not be the best option. Choose somewhere with a sandwich year that gives you the option to complete the IBMS portfolio and thereafter HCPC reg. Trust me!
I've looked up this and uni's such as Aston, Surrey, and Brunel and a few others offer these sandwich degrees but the Russell group ones barely do. What would you suggest- doing a sandwich year at a 'lesser university' for biomedical science or doing a biomed degree at a top Russell group university which doesn't offer a sandwich year? And is there any guarantee that all students are offered a work placement by the university in a sandwich year or do the students have to find the placements themselves?
rochelleyolanda
Rep:
?
Thank you for explaining. I'm still exploring my options, in terms of which uni and what degree, its a little difficult to decide
uer23
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tan030)
I've looked up this and uni's such as Aston, Surrey, and Brunel and a few others offer these sandwich degrees but the Russell group ones barely do. What would you suggest- doing a sandwich year at a 'lesser university' for biomedical science or doing a biomed degree at a top Russell group university which doesn't offer a sandwich year? And is there any guarantee that all students are offered a work placement by the university in a sandwich year or do the students have to find the placements themselves?
Again I reiterate, what's the reason you want to do Biomedical Science ? The reason I'm asking is because some may plan to do a Masters/Doctorate and go into research or along those lines. If that's the case, then IBMS accreditation won't matter.

However, If it's to become a Biomedical Scientist, then it's a no brainer to apply for sandwich degrees. Russell group is irrelevant when it comes to this sort of stuff, possibly yes if you are doing a degree in Politics/History or Geography.

As for the guarantee, I don't know. It would make sense though since you have applied to study for a course whereby you can practice as a Biomedical Scientist at the end. The University has links with the hospitals to allow students to complete this training course, so as long as you are passing and have a decent reference from your tutor you most probably will be very much likely to be able to complete the sandwich year. Since they can only take on people if they are able to help them to do the year out.

If you decide to go the non-sandwich route, that's a whole different story! You literally have very few options. On top of that having a non-accredited degree throws further spanner to the works.

In short DON'T do an non-accredited degree with no sandwich year if your aim is to work as a Biomedical Scientist at the end of your degree.
uer23
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you for explaining. I'm still exploring my options, in terms of which uni and what degree, its a little difficult to decide
It's definitely good to ask the questions now and do your research before jumping into it.

Unfortunately I made the silly mistake of not having any options to fall back on. Since I initially wanted to do Medicine. However after graduating I wanted to work as a Biomedical Scientist for a bit.

Thank God, I have an offer to study Medicine now.
rochelleyolanda
Rep:
?
I'll definitely continue to do my research on this and other degree and career options.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what i want to do.

Thanks for your help
uer23
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In all honesty, I'm not sure what i want to do.
Are you in A2 ? I'd say get plenty of work experience in the sort of stuff you are interested in. If not work experience, stay well informed by speaking to your college career advisor etc.

By the likes of it, as you seem to be interested in Biomedical Science you like something along the lines of Biology/Chemistry if I'm correct ?
rochelleyolanda
Rep:
?
I just finished my last AS exam.

I'm trying to find a variety of placements to pin point what i want to do. And yes, biology is my best and favourite subject.
BioAgent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What if the degree is accredited but it doesnt have a placement year i.e. its just 3 years?
tan030
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by uer23)
Again I reiterate, what's the reason you want to do Biomedical Science ? The reason I'm asking is because some may plan to do a Masters/Doctorate and go into research or along those lines. If that's the case, then IBMS accreditation won't matter.

However, If it's to become a Biomedical Scientist, then it's a no brainer to apply for sandwich degrees. Russell group is irrelevant when it comes to this sort of stuff, possibly yes if you are doing a degree in Politics/History or Geography.

As for the guarantee, I don't know. It would make sense though since you have applied to study for a course whereby you can practice as a Biomedical Scientist at the end. The University has links with the hospitals to allow students to complete this training course, so as long as you are passing and have a decent reference from your tutor you most probably will be very much likely to be able to complete the sandwich year. Since they can only take on people if they are able to help them to do the year out.

If you decide to go the non-sandwich route, that's a whole different story! You literally have very few options. On top of that having a non-accredited degree throws further spanner to the works.

In short DON'T do an non-accredited degree with no sandwich year if your aim is to work as a Biomedical Scientist at the end of your degree.
Yes, I was thinking along the lines of becoming a biomedical scientist/ finding a scientific related job after the degree - I'm currently in year 12, finishing off my AS exams. What is an 'accredited' / 'non accredited degree' out of interest an example? Thank you for your advice
uer23
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BioAgent)
What if the degree is accredited but it doesnt have a placement year i.e. its just 3 years?
Not much difference personally doesn't really help your situation if your aim is to work as a Biomedical Scientist, it only means that you wouldn't need to study for any further modules if you did manage to secure a trainee post, the hardest part of it all is actually securing some sort of training post to do your Portfolio. Not only is it hard to Train in a voluntary capacity but extremely rare if you want a Trainee Biomedical Scientist position in a paid role. When they do appear every now and then, the competition is fierce.

The ideal is a combination of BOTH accreditation and sandwich year.
uer23
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just finished my last AS exam.

I'm trying to find a variety of placements to pin point what i want to do. And yes, biology is my best and favourite subject.
Have you thought about Pharmacy, Optometry or Dentistry/Medicine ?
rochelleyolanda
Rep:
?
Optometry I've never considered.
pharmacy i am interested and medicine and dentistry i thought about and quickly dismissed
uer23
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tan030)
Yes, I was thinking along the lines of becoming a biomedical scientist/ finding a scientific related job after the degree - I'm currently in year 12, finishing off my AS exams. What is an 'accredited' / 'non accredited degree' out of interest an example? Thank you for your advice
Basically the IBMS is a professional body that oversees all Biomedical Science programmes in the UK. IBMS accreditation means there is sufficient amount of both practical/theoretical concepts covered if you were to choose to become a Biomedical Scientist and so you would not have any gaps in your knowledge.

Some degrees maybe more research and Medicine orientated so may opt out for accreditation. This means after graduation if you choose to go down the path of working as biomedical scientist you would first need to get your degree assessed by the IBMS who would decide what 'extra' modules you would need to study/cover in order for full accreditation of your Biomedical Science degree, I'm not sure how you go about this (you'd need to check with the IBMS). You can read this document for more information. Then would be the even more difficult task of looking to see who is willing to take you on to train you, which take between 9-12 months to complete this portfolio.
uer23
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Optometry I've never considered.
pharmacy i am interested and medicine and dentistry i thought about and quickly dismissed
You want to strike a balance between your own personal interests, employability and career prospects. Optometry is a decent career with very good job prospects.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you want to go to UCL, know you fancy laboratory sciences, but don't know which you'd like best, why not try the taster's menu: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...-sciences-bsc/ ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (169)
24.56%
Pop (170)
24.71%
Jazz (27)