Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)
    The more you hesitate talking to girls, then you will find it harder and harder to talk to them.

Yes, I do realise that shyness is not an easy thing to overcome, but think about it; what is the worst that could happen?

You go up to a girl, try to strike up a conversation. The worst thing is that you look like a bit of a wally and the girl and a couple of her friends might have a bit of a laugh, but that is it. They will probably forget it by the next day anyway.

Just take the chance.
    well if anyone come up to me and make a fool of themself, i will avoid him next time in the corridor (doesnt apply to everyone). So u better plan what u are going to say if u have a target in ur mind.

ReputationRep:
    Well im moving house soon, so when i move i will be getting myself a part time job and that will help me loads, i think that is what i need and it will give me the confidance.

Its just like a wall in the brain, once you've got past it you will be ok and thats what i have to get over and by being positive i have no doubt i will get over it.

I think i have alot to offer someone, im protective i wouldnt let anything happen to her, im caring, i love to do different things so she wouldnt be bored, im not arrogent, i would never cheat on her.

I just need to grow up and stop being a wally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smokey636)
    Well im moving house soon, so when i move i will be getting myself a part time job and that will help me loads, i think that is what i need and it will give me the confidance.

Its just like a wall in the brain, once you've got past it you will be ok and thats what i have to get over and by being positive i have no doubt i will get over it.

I think i have alot to offer someone, im protective i wouldnt let anything happen to her, im caring, i love to do different things so she wouldnt be bored, im not arrogent, i would never cheat on her.

*sigh* I can just imagine the women's faces lighting up at hearing that description :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    how do you get a girlfriend?

YOU GO OUT LOOKING AND FIND ONE - THEY DONT MAGICALLY COME TO YOU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzYaa13)

oooooOoOH! SO THATS WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS!

ReputationRep:
    You make it sound so easy, but what do you mean by going out and finding a girlfriend, do you mean clubbing (which im not into and im under aged) or do you mean just walking around hoppng to find someone? :|

ReputationRep:
    You make it sound so easy, but what do you mean by going out and finding a girlfriend, do you mean clubbing (which im not into and im under aged) or do you mean just walking around hoppng to find someone? :|
    It doesn't matter that you're underage plenty of people go out drinking at the age of 14 never mind 17 and get away with it and considering your six foot tall, you will probably be mistaken for the legal age. I aint in to clubbing really because I don't dance but I still go out drinking, go a pub or somewhere, there's more chance of meeting girls in nightclubs but they go pubs as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzYaa13)

I thought your advice in the "being shy" thread was to stand up and look presentable, and wait for the hot girls to come to you? Lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and remember, dead girls don't say no. Ooohh! That was graffitied on my exam desk today! Beneath it some witty chap had scrawled "nor does you dog." Ew...put me off for the whole exam :eek:

ReputationRep:
    You could always do something like go to the gym regularily/swim.
    It wont necesarily make an outward difference but it will make you feel more confident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatboyslim)
    You could always do something like go to the gym regularily/swim.
    It wont necesarily make an outward difference but it will make you feel more confident.
    u will find a girlfriend its just when u'll least expect it
    btw does complimenting guys make them fancy girls

theres this lad who keeps showing me how much his mucles have increased lol and he asked me if i think hes ugly. i was too embarrased to say no ure gorgeous so i just said ' i dont judge looks' which is stupid.
    its just that i think if i compliment him, he'll have more confidence and go and look for a better girl :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    get em drunk......

*let the flaming commence*

ReputationRep:

I'm no expert but I'd suggest taking things one step at a time. You say that it is a wall in your brain but from my experience it's more like a barrier that gets bigger and bigger and then gradually gets smaller. For instance when you are talking to someone it might get increasingly awkward but then after that reaches a peak you can either fall back to being awkward or you can make a bit of an effort until it gets less awkward. But I think that's a process that happens over a longer period of time than just a conversation if you know what I mean. It's a skill.
    As for more practical advice I'd agree that doing some sport would be good. and if you can find some activity that you are comfortable with that is quite social then that'd probably help. What I find attractive in a guy is that he is comfortable with who he is and likes to have fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    get em drunk......

*let the flaming commence*
    there is sadly an element of truth to this. when my bf asked me out it was winter and he was late and it was a really cold windy night. when he finally did turn up we'd missed the film, so we walked along the pier and ended up on a pub crawl... so basically he got me drunk and made sure i was delirious from the cold.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    The best way to get a girlfriend is to go to your local garden center and buy some girlfriend seeds. Once planted they need constant attention, however if they become too comfortable in their pot then they may become over weight and not look very nice. Bit like real girlfriends really....LOL......prepares for critisism

ReputationRep:
    Im 17 and i need a bit of help on how to get a girlfriend. I took a year out this year and looking to go to college in september and im gona go into maybe a plumbing course(apprenticeship) or something along those lines, so there will probably be no girls in my class.

I must admit when im when im in a group and there are girls i do get nervous speaking to them because im a bit affraid of what they will think of me(which i know is daft). And i also admit im a bit shy at first when speaking to people but once i get over that im ok.

I know its a bit silly and i know im only young but im just a bit worried that i wont get a girlfriend, and im at the stage of my life where i want a girlfriend.

When i am in a group its normally with boys(no im not gay), so i rarely speak to girls that much, which is a big problem. I mean when im out i see girls that i really like but its not like im gona walk up to them. I mean im not ugly, when i meet people they normally say i look like prince william(which i think is a bit of a complement, that was my nickname at high school , im 6ft, quite well built, im a bit chubby around the belly but not that much to call me fat.

Am i being stupid? is it just a matter of time before i meet someone(as i am quite young)? I do think im worrying about nothing, i think all i have to is try and forget about, because maybe if i do forget about it a girl might come along.

Anyway i needed to let that out, and i have so i will end it there.
    Have you tried clubbing? Like the caveman days?

ReputationRep:
    as soon as you stop thinking about it and consciously looking for a girlfriend, one or maybe even more will turn up. just enjoy going out with your friends and the summer and your plumbing course and then you'll meet some nice when you'd forgotten you were even looking! easier said than done, i know, but it works every time!

ReputationRep:
    Just be ur self, and be natural, talk like youve know them for a long time, dont Avoid eye contact, but dont over do it, and make nice comments, but again dont over do it, Dont let her feel that ur desperate, and Most important: Dont ever let a gurl fell that ur tense or scared of talking to her!!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.