confused137
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I haven't seen anything on here for AH English so I just thought I would open this up for discussion! Also I realise this is the first year of new Advanced Higher, but if anyone who has previously done this subject has any advice/ideas for the dissertation that would be great!
tigercat14
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I'm sitting it too. Any idea what you're r doing your dissertation on?
confused137
Rep:
?
(Original post by tigercat14)
Hey, I'm sitting it too. Any idea what you're r doing your dissertation on?
I'm really not sure just now to be honest! I've been thinking about possibly doing The Great Gatsby but not sure if it's an "overdone" dissertation book, and I've only been able to think of a few things to compare it too so far! What about you?
tigercat14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by confused137)
I'm really not sure just now to be honest! I've been thinking about possibly doing The Great Gatsby but not sure if it's an "overdone" dissertation book, and I've only been able to think of a few things to compare it too so far! What about you?
really pretty clueless at the moment! Planning on reading a few books (catcher in the rye, one flew over the cocoos nest etc) then trying to decide. It's difficult!
qasim-98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sitting advanced higher English too

I'm thinking of doing literature during the renaissance for my dissertation - basically a whole lotta Shakespeare ))) or I might do social class in Victorian literature, I'm not sure

I think we are doing streetcar named desire for the critical analysis but I'm worried for this whole unseen poem thing!
username1406296
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anyone have any idea about how they're setting out their reflection log? So confused :/
confused137
Rep:
?
(Original post by tigercat14)
really pretty clueless at the moment! Planning on reading a few books (catcher in the rye, one flew over the cocoos nest etc) then trying to decide. It's difficult!
Those seem like good choices! I've never read it but I've definitely heard good things about The Catcher in the Rye. I'm planning on doing the same and just reading as much as I can over summer!
confused137
Rep:
?
(Original post by qasim-98)
I'm sitting advanced higher English too

I'm thinking of doing literature during the renaissance for my dissertation - basically a whole lotta Shakespeare ))) or I might do social class in Victorian literature, I'm not sure

I think we are doing streetcar named desire for the critical analysis but I'm worried for this whole unseen poem thing!
Yeah my school are doing Shakespeare as well but separate to the dissertation, think we're doing the tempest and another one! I'm the same I have no idea what to expect from the textual analysis!
confused137
Rep:
?
(Original post by kwar16)
Does anyone have any idea about how they're setting out their reflection log? So confused :/
Is that for the personal reflective piece?
username1406296
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No it's a new thing where you have to write down all your personal analysis about the books you're reading
qasim-98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anyone know any good books for my topic? I've settled down and chosen British aristocracy in Victorian literature...

Has anyone chosen/read "the picture of Dorian gray?"
confused137
Rep:
?
(Original post by kwar16)
No it's a new thing where you have to write down all your personal analysis about the books you're reading
Aw okay! I'm afraid I can't help then because I haven't gotten/seen one, sorry!
qasim-98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is everyone reading their books for their dissertation over the summer? 1 down, 2 to go
catherineee98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ideas for books to compare with The Cone Gatherers?
CT_99
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there, I got a C for my higher and really don't want to resit... Problem is uni want a B in H English, would a B in AH be possible?
qasim-98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Old or new higher?

I'd go for AH, try to nail the dissertation&folio so that would get me majority marks and then go for it in the exam as well, but it would be sensible to redo higher, problem is, unis like first sittings, it's your choice, but it's really what the unis want
confused137
Rep:
?
(Original post by CT_99)
Hi there, I got a C for my higher and really don't want to resit... Problem is uni want a B in H English, would a B in AH be possible?
I think the thing to do would be to get in contact with the universities you're interested in and ask them which they would prefer
thatkatie_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this a dead thread? Possibly.

Anyway, I'm doing my dissertation on isolation of a central character in the colour purple and catcher in the rye, and we're doing our presentations this week. Has anyone done one yet/know how they like these to be set out?
ayeisham2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We are reading this for the literature section of the exam so if you need help, just ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads