The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine with average GCSE grades?

x.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cambridge uni, consider a levels most important.
Reply 2
I think youre stressing out too much... Calm down.
However your gcse grades might risk ur chance for oxbridge since u dont think your going to get 9/10 A*s because all the people u compete with for oxbridge will have 8/9 A*s in GCSE. BUT i think you can still apply and get considered for UCL and Kings etc.. just make sure your AS grades are really strong.
It's Oxford that are quite fussy about the number of A* grades you have. But that doesn't form the basis of your whole application. Cambridge are far more concerned with your UMS in AS modules. Regardless, you don't how well you've done yet, so don't worry! Leave the worrying for the day before results day.
"Really want to cry because I've done so badly". I'm not sure what your definition of bad is, but it certainly shouldn't be 5 A*s and the rest A's.

Plenty of people get in with much worse. Someone in my school didn't have any A*s at GCSE (mostly B's) in addition to lacklustre AS grades and got a place at med school.
(edited 8 years ago)
Unfortunately you won't be able to go to Oxford with 5A* - take a look at the graph below which is from their website. You may be able to get an interview at Cambridge as they're more focused on AS UMS / interviews but you'd need a good BMAT.
You could probably get into UCL but definitely not Birmingham - they're very focused on GCSEs. Not sure why you'd put Barts in the same sentence as those other unis though - no offence but it's fairly close to the bottom of Medicine universities

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I think you should probably get out of the idea of 'getting a degree from a good uni.' Medicine is different to other degrees. Medical courses have to comply to specific outlines set by the GMC. The whole idea of a 'good medical school' is just an excuse for bragging rights. Your life is not over. Firstly you haven't even received your results yet so there is no reason to panic, everyone thinks they've done badly as they get closer and closer to results day. Secondly you will be able to get into medical school with 5A*'s anyway so it doesn't make much of a difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by NeverGrowUp
But getting into a good med school will increase my chances of getting an actual job right? :frown:

Only if you are thinking of becoming a Doctor in a different country (even then it only affects location). If you are staying in the UK, no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
But getting into a good med school will increase my chances of getting an actual job right? :frown:

Read through this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3296407

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a really useful graph, where did you get it? and oh okay, but isn't Barts QMUL ? Because it is number 6 in the country.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics there you go :smile:

Hmm yeah it looks like it's #6 on two league tables which is strange because when I applied I'm sure it was in the bottom 3. But to be honest they also have Keele at #4 behind Oxbridge and UCL and Imperial at #14 so it's completely wrong anyway.
I guess I'm also basing it on what I've heard about it... All the other ones you mentioned I haven't heard a single negative thing about, but Barts I haven't heard a single thing positive.

Haha if you look at this league table which places it 6th, it ranks Cambridge at #1 with a score of 100 but every single statistic is worse than Oxford, UCL and Keele (ranked 2, 3 and 4) so it's obviously completely made up

Also Bart's entry requirements are AAAB at AS which is the lowest of any medical university I've seen
(edited 8 years ago)
I could've done so much better if I didn't start my revision so late and left quite a lot the night before the exam. I really hate myself right now and wish I could just go back in time.
You have the summer to sort out your mental attitude. You can't make the same mistake for AS and then A2 because at some point you will come completely unstuck.

Thanks, I know but i was expected to get better :frown: and I really wanted to get into a good uni, but too late for that.

I've had two GPs who went to Cambridge. Neither was very good.

How many unemployed doctors are there in the UK?
Yeah I already know how much work I need to put in now to make up for my stupidity. And yes most GPs are rubbish especially the ones i go to, however I'm sure they got good GCSE results to get into cambridge and applied years ago when the requirements and competition weren't as high. :s-smilie:

Yes, it used to be so easy to get into Cambridge to study medicine. :banghead:
Sorry to keep asking you but you seem the one with great knowledge :biggrin:
My school always tells us to look at the league table when deciding between unis because that's what employers look for.:s-smilie: If we follow this advice do you think the rank of the uni overall in the country is more important, or the rank of the uni amongst medical schools in the country? People always tell me different things.

Rank does not matter one itty bit in medicine. Apply to schools you stand a chance of getting an interview at (and where you would be happy to go). Ignore league tables completely.
Those grades are not average
EASIER doesn't mean easy.

Was it really easier? Grades required have always reflected overall A-level and GCSE exam performance. When you could get into medical school with, say, AAB it was because those results put you at the top of the tree. If you were transported back to the 1980s, for example, you wouldn't need to get 10 A* GCSEs and A*A*A at A-level, but you would still have found it just as difficult to achieve whatever grades were required.
Reply 15
Original post by ForestCat
Rank does not matter one itty bit in medicine. Apply to schools you stand a chance of getting an interview at (and where you would be happy to go). Ignore league tables completely.

Yes thank you, someone with sense. Listen to this.

Sorry to keep asking you but you seem the one with great knowledge :biggrin:
My school always tells us to look at the league table when deciding between unis because that's what employers look for.:s-smilie: If we follow this advice do you think the rank of the uni overall in the country is more important, or the rank of the uni amongst medical schools in the country? People always tell me different things.

Your school is most likely talking about other courses where yes, this applies to. But seriously you shouldn't take notice of the league tables for medicine (employers certainly do not). You should make a list of what you look for in a uni and then find the ones which are applicable. I'm sure if you listed your wants and do not wants in this forum, people will be likely to advise you on which uni would suit you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really stressed because I've almost finished my GCSE's however I think I've done badly on all of them so far and I really want to cry. I'm expected 8A*s and 3As but i think I'd probably get 5 A*s and the rest As because Ive done so badly.

I really wanted to apply to top unis like Oxbridge, UCL , Birmingham and Barts. Do you think if i get all As in AS and have really good extra curricular, work experience and volunteering that I'd get a chance of getting in?

Does Oxford care more about GCSEs than Cambridge does?
Which of the unis care a lot about GCSEs?

I know most of you might say my GCSEs are good but compared to most med applicants its pretty crap. :frown:

Please help me because I'm losing hope right now, IDK what I want to do besides becoming a doctor, and I want to get into a good Uni. I could've done so much better if I didn't start my revision so late and left quite a lot the night before the exam. I really hate myself right now and wish I could just go back in time.

Hey,

In answer to this and your comments about competition and difficulty. Unfortunately medicine applications are a mix of luck and knowing where best to apply. Like I have previously said, rank doesn't matter in medicine so there is no such thing as a 'top' medical school. You will end up with the same degree and application for foundation posts are blind so the school you go to plays no part in the job you get (well it does in minor ways but thats a different subject).

You're right that it is very competitive. So you really have to apply to your strengths when the time comes. If you don't get straight A*s/As at GCSE it really doesn't matter, just don't apply to schools that look heavily at GCSEs (such as Oxford or Cardiff). If you ace the UKCAT apply to UKCAT heavy medical schools. If you have a load of extracurriculars and work experience, apply to more PS heavy schools.

I think where a lot of people go wrong is they get fixated on going to a certain school. Yes, it is good to have 'dream' schools, but if you don't meet their minimum requirements or you're unlikely to have a competitive application there then you are most likely wasting an opportunity. Because of the nature of the competition, you really need to apply to 3 med schools where you stand a good chance of interview, with perhaps one more risky, 'dream' school.

Its sad that the game has to be played like this but if you want to stand a good shot at getting in its best to know and understand this.
Thanks :smile: I think I'll just try and ace the UKCAT and BMAT and AS then work with what I have. I'm just more frustrated about the fact that I could've done better, i was initially expected 10A*S and 1A but lowered down to 8A*s and now I don't even think I got that from my lack of motivation to revise. But I think I'm more motivated now, it's a shame it cost me mediocre GCSE grades to get that motivation however I can't change the past. :s-smilie: Thanks again!

Please remember what an achievement it is to get A*s. Even if its not as many as you originally hoped. Medicine applications have a way of making people feel inferior about their grades, when in fact their grades are excellent. Getting A*s, As and Bs is certainly not mediocre!

There are still a few schools that consider A*s and As equally and some that don't even really look at GCSEs past the minimum requirements. So its really not going to have a massive impact in the long run.
Thank you so much! Yeah I guess that's true, if only I wasn't so interested in medicine then I wouldn't be in such a bad situation if I applied for other courses :frown:. If I end up getting a bad result, do you think the unis care if you resit or will they not know if you resit a gsce?

It depends what you mean by bad result. Anything above a b would be ridiculous to resit. Focus on your a-levels.

You really have to get it out of your head that the grades you're expecting are bad. A*s and As are awesome and more than enough for most medical schools. Not having A*s in everything is only going to prohibit you from applying to a few medical schools, there are plenty of others. And you don't even know your results yet.

If you have any exams left, focus on kicking butt in them. If you're all done then go and enjoy the summer. Enjoy being care free while you can. It is far too early to be this stressed about university!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, and I looked at this source http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=medicine
I thought it was a good uni, I like where the campus is too, and if the entry requirements are low then I guess that will be good for me then with my grades lol.

Yeah fair enough, at the end of the day you'll still get a medicine degree!

About your other question, yes the competition for Imperial is very similar to UCL as they're both BMAT universities - Imperial's requirements are actually higher than UCL's even though UCL is a better university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending