The Student Room Group

Trying to deal with Bulimia

Hey, so I'm 18 years old and I've been suffering with Bulimia Nervosa for about 3-4 years now.
Recently my school became aware as my teachers started noticing the weight loss and referred me to the school nurse who saw all the signs and figured it out. She then notified my head of year who called in my parents and told them.

Now even though we never talk about it unto itself its like it's always there. It's like the giant elephant in the room. My Parents are constantly on my case about eating now and they watch me so closely I feel like I can't breathe.

I guess the reason I'm kinda freaking out a little is because over the last few months it seems like my Bulimia has gotten worse. Even seeing pictures of food makes me feel sick and the prospect of eating scares me a hell of a lot. I don't know what to do because I can't tell my parents as they're already freaked out. I can't tell my teachers because they'll tell my parents. I'm not the most popular girl so i don't have a group of friends to turn to. And my boyfriend doesn't seem to get it.

Help please?
I have bulimia too, and I can tell it's getting worse. In fact, I'm having a breakdown right now, which is why I'm on here to distract myself.

To me, seeing a therapist (aka asking for help) is the last thing I want to do because it means confronting my issues, but considering your situation I think it might be the best thing to do. They'll help you talk through your problems and hopefully, with time, solve them :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I have bulimia too, and I can tell it's getting worse. In fact, I'm having a breakdown right now, which is why I'm on here to distract myself.

To me, seeing a therapist (aka asking for help) is the last thing I want to do because it means confronting my issues, but considering your situation I think it might be the best thing to do. They'll help you talk through your problems and hopefully, with time, solve them :smile:

The thing is I've tried therapy and counselling and it tends to just make me shut down more. Like I tell them what they want to hear so they get off my case
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zahra Sarwar
The thing is I've tried therapy and counselling and it tends to just make me shut down more. Like I tell them what they want to hear so they get off my case

Have you thought about the reason why the bulimia started in the first place? I think that's one of the most important things you can do, then hopefully your therapist/counsellor can help you from there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Im overcoming bulimia all on my own, i seem to be out of the woods now, although I do not recommend not seeking medical help. I just felt for me it was the right decision, although I have spoke to my doctor about it twice, he just gave me a self referral form to get counselling. I just felt like I needed more than that or go it alone. But yes, go seek help as I think yours seem to be more severe than mine, and it isnt weak to ask for help its actually more courageous. One day I just really thought long and hard about why I developed bulimia in the first place and realised that i would never be able to be the person I wanted to be with bulimia and decided to change. Im like 6 months free from it and happy. You will get there if you want to help yourself. good luck

Quick Reply

Latest