Turn on thread page Beta

Stress of early GCSE exams drives schoolgirl, 15, to take her own life watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

I did my GCSE's at the same at the same time as everyone else, and my grades were amazing considering the school i was at 5A's 3B's and 1C doesn't add up to much in a forum like this, but i was one of the best students out of 240 in my year.

They are excellent grades, don't let anyone in this forum make you think otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    They are excellent grades, don't let anyone in this forum make you think otherwise
    Thank you! I think i've let this forum knock my confidence a bit to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    its probably all about the ppl around that girl... cuz mayb shes a nerd and if she doesnt do well than other ppl then might get dissed or sth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    what do you thinK?
    I think that it is a very sad thing that this girl felt that she didn't want to live anymore. Whatever other people think about the importance of exams, she obviously thought that the things going on in her life were too much for her to cope with. I don't think anyone can say that it wasn't a genuin reason because she obviously felt she couldn't go on. This story is so sad and I think that this girl deserves our sypathy.

ReputationRep:
    I've felt extremely stressed over my GCSE's, it's often harder when people expect you to do really well. I feel pressure from my school because even though it's not a particually good school and many people don't achieve 5 A* - C grades I'm expected to get A*s and stuff and people - teachers and other kids just expect me to do really well... My friends also expect me to do well and get 11 A*'s or something :rolleyes: My family expect me to do well, but if I fail they may be disappointed but it won't be the be-all-and-end-all, but my dad being who he is will just see it as an excuse to put me down... I also expect myself to do well and sometimes it all feels too much...

Then after stressing over my GCSE's people say that they're not worth anything and according to my dad his exams were much harder and GCSE's are really easy and useless - nice parenting there... :rolleyes:

On top of the stress and pressure of that, I also have issues with certain members of my family (guess who), I can't stand living in my hosue sometimes and yeah, erm other stuff too...

Sorry I know I sound like an idiot, but I guess that's just me and the way I feel :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    Sorry I know I sound like an idiot, but I guess that's just me and the way I feel :rolleyes:
    Awww ... poor you ... { shiny gently pats me! on the head }

Join the Hug Whores! You'll feel much better after doing that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    If I wasn't completely against suicide, I have a strong suspiscion I'd be dead by now. But thankfully, I can't stand the sight of blood and I love my body too much to do anything to it. I've coped with horrible amounts of pressure and depression, leaving me actually fairly emotionally unstable.

Add that to parents who continously tell me that they've given up their lives for my education, I can't help but feel guilty and accept that nothing except the very best is good enough.

At my school last year, my friend Sarah got 7 A*s and started crying. Moments before, she had just watched six of her closest friends get straight A*s. You have to really put it into perspective sometimes, but still understand that everyone has different goals and for some people, even an A* is not enough.

For myself, I would have been horrified with a B at GCSE and no matter how many people tell me it's still a good grade, it's not enough for me. Everyone does have different goals and it's not being elitist so much as having the background, having grown up with the notion that I always had to be number one. If I had a choice, I would have lived my life differently, but you can't choose your parents...

Then you get some people from e.g. St Paul's School (and this is a direct quote):
    SPS Guy: How many A*s did you get?
    My friend: Er...10?
    SPS Guy: What, only 10? I got 13.

:rolleyes:

I can't stop my way of thought, I've always had this ambition. I know that exams are just exams and I won't do anything stupid should I get awful marks, but I know I'd probably get very upset over them. The thought process and how much you push yourself isn't something you can just get rid of when you snap your fingers.
    I kinda feel like that too and also the same as HSS about your friend's looking smug if they get a grade higher than you or something - they make it seem like such a big deal, like 'oh I got better than you' what's up with that, I never do that to anyone... I was chatting on msn to one of my best friends who buggered off to India and left me and I was on about failing and stuff, she said that everyone else at my school would be happy just being able to get a 'C', but I'm not everyone else, I'm me and I know what I'm capable of, but I also know that I'll never achieve it, well not at GCSE anyway...

A couple of weeks ago I had just recovered from being ill and in hospital but I had coursework to do, all of which had to be in, in like a couple of days. I had art, media and science altogether and I couldn't do it all in the time I had do I had to sacrifice my science coursework (so I 'only' got 57/60 not 60/60) and I was histerical my mum was like 'if you get a B in science you can always retake it' I burst into tears at the thought of getting a B - especially in Science...

ReputationRep:
    As much as people say "exams aren't that important...", for some people they inevitably are for reasons stated. Primarily it'll be pressure from parents who may be the sort who make your every moment unbearable if you don't do spectacularly or, even worse, fail.

In a world where 'academia' is the key to stable income, it's inevitable that you end up putting people under immense pressures. It is also inevitable that for some it will be too much and they'll take what to them is an easier option and give up on life. It may be hard for some to understand why som1 would do this, but for me it's simple. Failing/doing badly at the studies will result in reduced prospects for the immediate future. More importantly though is it may (with particular emotional states) make the immediate future emotionally unbearable.

I think it's a shame that so much emphasis is put on so little. Also, that exams are concentrated into short periods of time - resulting in condensed and amplified stress. There are so many simple things that could be done to reduce the pressures on people - but I guess that's part of the selection process. So those who can't cope die, and that leaves only those that can - pretty pathetic imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

I kinda feel like that too and also the same as HSS about your friend's looking smug if they get a grade higher than you or something - they make it seem like such a big deal, like 'oh I got better than you' what's up with that, I never do that to anyone... I was chatting on msn to one of my best friends who buggered off to India and left me and I was on about failing and stuff, she said that everyone else at my school would be happy just being able to get a 'C', but I'm not everyone else, I'm me and I know what I'm capable of, but I also know that I'll never achieve it, well not at GCSE anyway...

A couple of weeks ago I had just recovered from being ill and in hospital but I had coursework to do, all of which had to be in, in like a couple of days. I had art, media and science altogether and I couldn't do it all in the time I had do I had to sacrifice my science coursework (so I 'only' got 57/60 not 60/60) and I was histerical my mum was like 'if you get a B in science you can always retake it' I burst into tears at the thought of getting a B - especially in Science...
    Hey me!, have you been finding all the exams tough too? I have, and it's the wait which is the worst. For our mocks, I knew I'd get them back shortly but this time it's not the case. :mad:

Getting 57/60 is amazing, out of my science groups I got the highest at 44 and that's out of 130 people! And there will be no way you can get BB! Science isn't my strong point, but English is but I've come to terms with my B in English Literature.

Whatever you do, try and not think about your parents, friends or teachers! I know I can see my friends now like "omg, as if I only got one/two grades below you", or my parents going "well your sister started out in bottom sets and look, you only got one grade above her". But you've got to remember, if you who are so clever are finding exams hard and worrying, the people around you will do too and they may not do so well if you don't. Also, don't compare yourself to anyone on here. As you said, you're not a great school and neither am I. Compare your results to your school, not here otherwise it starts to get depressing.

It's sounds as if you're going to ace your exams anyway. I've learned my lesson, and am working damn hard. And I'm looking forward to maths.

HS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Hey me!, have you been finding all the exams tough too? I have, and it's the wait which is the worst. For our mocks, I knew I'd get them back shortly but this time it's not the case. :mad:

Getting 57/60 is amazing, out of my science groups I got the highest at 44 and that's out of 130 people! And there will be no way you can get BB! Science isn't my strong point, but English is but I've come to terms with my B in English Literature.

Whatever you do, try and not think about your parents, friends or teachers! I know I can see my friends now like "omg, as if I only got one/two grades below you", or my parents going "well your sister started out in bottom sets and look, you only got one grade above her". But you've got to remember, if you who are so clever are finding exams hard and worrying, the people around you will do too and they may not do so well if you don't. Also, don't compare yourself to anyone on here. As you said, you're not a great school and neither am I. Compare your results to your school, not here otherwise it starts to get depressing.

It's sounds as if you're going to ace your exams anyway. I've learned my lesson, and am working damn hard. And I'm looking forward to maths.

HS
    I love maths, lol And science, actually I like pretty much most of my subjects... (well apart from English exams and French -arg!)

English is a strong point of mine also but in exams I just write nonsense... lol and I bet you get higher than a B in your English Lit (oh and my master plan now is to to work really hard and aim for at least an A in Eng Language)

People on here make me seem stupid, but in comparison with people at my school I'm not too bad

When I wrote those posts above earlier I was nearly crying (because I'm a weirdo )... lol

I'm sure you'll do great in your exams too and I wish you the best of luck And I kinda think we're in the same boat, seen as you seem to feel like I do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

I love maths, lol And science, actually I like pretty much most of my subjects... (well apart from English exams and French -arg!)

English is a strong point of mine also but in exams I just write nonsense... lol and I bet you get higher than a B in your English Lit (oh and my master plan now is to to work really hard and aim for at least an A in Eng Language)

People on here make me seem stupid, but in comparison with people at my school I'm not too bad

When I wrote those posts above earlier I was nearly crying (because I'm a weirdo )... lol

I'm sure you'll do great in your exams too and I wish you the best of luck And I kinda think we're in the same boat, seen as you seem to feel like I do!
    Hehe, that's my plan too! Try and get an A*/A in English Language (which was what I was predicted for both:rolleyes: ). But I'm better at Language. I fooled myself that I was good at Lit., just 'cause I got high coursework but I've learned that this is the only subject which I dislike exams over coursework. And I end up writing crap too, it's all to do with the time!

Don't feel stupid! At my school, it's like I'm one of the best too so then I think I should be aiming for the stuff the best people on here get. But I'm not as good as most of them!

Aww, don't cry... don't get upset about it all. It's true, there's more to life than exams... such as having a cracking summer! Good luck. Not tha you'll need it, you clever-science girly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Hehe, that's my plan too! Try and get an A*/A in English Language (which was what I was predicted for both:rolleyes: ). But I'm better at Language. I fooled myself that I was good at Lit., just 'cause I got high coursework but I've learned that this is the only subject which I dislike exams over coursework. And I end up writing crap too, it's all to do with the time!

Don't feel stupid! At my school, it's like I'm one of the best too so then I think I should be aiming for the stuff the best people on here get. But I'm not as good as most of them!

Aww, don't cry... don't get upset about it all. It's true, there's more to life than exams... such as having a cracking summer! Good luck. Not tha you'll need it, you clever-science girly.
    lol did you see how many green smiley faces there were in my previous post!

Yeah i know there's more to life than exams and I feel stupid for caring about them so much and realise how pathetic it is when I know people have to cope with much worse things, but they still manage to get along, I just can't help it though

Grades aren't the end of the world and they can't in all honesty depict how clever you really are. So what if you don't get the grades that you want, you still know that you have got potential and through talking to you and getting to know that people will soon realise that... But it's still hard when you don't achieve your expectations... (when I say you I mean generally, you know what I mean )

As someone said to me the other day 'you have the world at your feet', it's true you really can do anything, if you want something bad enough it's never the end because there's always the future

I'm going to do some revision now and good luck to you too (again )

ReputationRep:
    I'm certainly glad I didn't have to do AS levels - I was so happy to
    have a break after GCSEs. At the end of lower sixth, after kicking back a bit, I was predicted BBC, but then had enough petrol in the tank to give A-Levels a good shot. AS Levels would have made a tough 3 year period too tough for me (not to mention all that business about 'growing up').

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fussy)
    I'm certainly glad I didn't have to do AS levels - I was so happy to
    have a break after GCSEs. At the end of lower sixth, after kicking back a bit, I was predicted BBC, but then had enough petrol in the tank to give A-Levels a good shot. AS Levels would have made a tough 3 year period too tough for me (not to mention all that business about 'growing up').
    It's sounds odd but I'm almost happy I did AS levels, because with subjects in which you have a big margin in, you know you only need to get a B or a C to still average out with an A, which takes the pressure off in the second year.

ReputationRep:
    ok im sorry, i was a close friend of tina dziki and she didn t kill herself because of GCSEs thats bullsh*t. Im not just saying this because she is the person that died but she was probaly the most wisest person i ever met and new right from rong, i wouldnt say this about anyone of my friends if they died but Tina was perfect accept for her lack of self confidence. i would like the aministraters to remove this talk of Tina out of respect becaus the infomation is false.

Ardo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    A bright teenage girl who died after she was found unconscious at her school had left a note complaining about the stress of taking exams.

Tina Dziki, 15, collapsed at her school in Streatham, south London, after taking a suspected overdose two days before she was due to take GCSEs a year early. A groundsman at Dunraven School discovered her at about 8am on Monday and she was taken to St George's Hospital, Tooting, where she died that evening. Her mother and her stepfather were at her bedside. It is thought she may have taken an overdose of anti-malaria tablets.

The Year Ten pupil was one of the brightest in her year and was due to take maths and religious education GCSEs a year early. She would have taken one of the exams yesterday.

Dunraven School principal Richard Townsend said the teenager, who was of Polish origin, was found "very unwell" in a recreation area in part of the upper school site early on Monday morning. A note was found nearby in which she talked about the stress of facing the exams.

Police said the death was not being treated as suspicious. A post-mortem examination will take place at St George's Hospital today. An inquest is to be arranged.

Dunraven is a co-educational Foundation School with GCSE results above the national average. It has been praised by Ofsted inspectors as "very good", for achieving high standards of academic success. Many pupils come from underprivileged backgrounds but teachers were praised for overcoming difficulties with close monitoring of attendance and discipline. It recently opened a new sixth form with £3m of government money. There are up to 10 applications for each place.

what do you thinK?
    quite sad, though i dont appreciate what could have driven her that far. i remember doing GCSEs and they didnt worry me much at all. I passed 6 and failed 2. went to college and might go to university next year if i can be bothered

i think teachers hype GCSEs up too much in schools to be honest. they arent that important in the scheme of things but teachers are increasingly judged on how many pupils they get through...so the pressure mounts for everyone.

anyone doing gcses...if you have even a hint of intelligence, you can easily get 5 or 6 C's and thats usually enough for a-level or college courses, so dont stress yourself out totally

exams arent that hard. i wasnt the smartest kid in skool and didnt revise for any of my exams and still got 9 passes and 4 fails.

there should still be a better system tho. exams only test what you can remember short term (from the last few months before the test). once uve passed the exam you dont need to kno any more bout it (unless your going to college to do more). i cant even remember most of the stuff i had to learn for the exams. i dont need to know it anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    anyone doing gcses...if you have even a hint of intelligence, you can easily get 5 or 6 C's and thats usually enough for a-level or college courses, so dont stress yourself out totally
    it depends on how good an indicator you think GCSEs are of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    it depends on how good an indicator you think GCSEs are of intelligence.
    no school exams measure intelligence in any way. poor wording on my part i guess.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide over exams?

She probably had other pressures, and the exams were just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.