The Student Room Group

opinions on the following areas of London? are they rough?

Hi guys, I have been offered a place to study Law at Queen MARY ( postgraduate) and i'm looking for a proper private student hall to live that is affordable (less than 219 pounds per week en suite only). I've found halls in Mile End, Bethnal Green , Stratford and Tottenham Hale. the halls are Rahere court, Blithehale court, Stratford one and North Lodge respectively. Which area of those would be the most ideal for a young woman to live for a whole year? I cannot live in rough areas. p.s.none of these halls are close to the area where the courses will be held ( Lincoln Inn Fields) but i don't mind commuting, I just need to know which area is the safest out of the above-mentioned.thanks alot in advance!!
Original post by Effie23
Hi guys, I have been offered a place to study Law at Queen MARY ( postgraduate) and i'm looking for a proper private student hall to live that is affordable (less than 219 pounds per week en suite only). I've found halls in Mile End, Bethnal Green , Stratford and Tottenham Hale. the halls are Rahere court, Blithehale court, Stratford one and North Lodge respectively. Which area of those would be the most ideal for a young woman to live for a whole year? I cannot live in rough areas. p.s.none of these halls are close to the area where the courses will be held ( Lincoln Inn Fields) but i don't mind commuting, I just need to know which area is the safest out of the above-mentioned.thanks alot in advance!!

Avoid Mile End and Bethnal Green

In fact avoid as much of East London as possible

It's not too dangerous - my sisters studied at QMUL for 5 years with no problems, it's just full of fresh brown people who stare and make you feel uncomfortable
I live in East London and would say Stratford would be best out of those.
(You all also have lots of shops and great transport links)
I live in East London too and Stratford is the best out of those choices. my brother goes QMUL and its great! The 'opinion' about the fresh brown people is just bull**** ,so, don't let that put you off.
I live in East London too and Stratford is the best out of those choices. my brother goes QMUL and its great! The 'opinion' about the fresh brown people is just bull**** ,so, don't let that put you off.
I lived in North Lodge (Tottenham Hale) last year and the area was a bit dodgy. I got followed home once by a man trying to steal my phone. I wouldn't go out alone at night which could be an issue if you end up commuting to and from lectures in the evening, however the tube station is very close to the building so the walk isn't far and it is lit up with street lamps. I think the incident I had was probably an isolated one but it does happen. I was looking at Stratford One myself but it's out of my budget but I'd suggest that one. I don't know much about the other two areas, sorry!
Reply 6
Hi guys, me and my friend booked rooms in Stratford one today! Hope it turns out to be good :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by coatsandcupcake

What did he mean by fresh brown people...? I saw another form saying something like "is all of QMUL only Asian?"

I'm moving from the United States and I have read that East London is very artsy and hip, why do so many people on this website say it's full of Asians? The info is so conflicting. Not that I care about ethnicity whatsoever, just trying to get a feel before the big move.
Original post by Effie23

Queen Mary is in Mile End - not a very nice area at all. Tottenham Hale and Bethnal Green aren't either. To be honest, all of those areas aren't all that great. However, I'd say Stratford is possibly the better choice.
Reply 9
Has anyone lived in the Magenta house at Prodigy??
It's way more expensive than Dawson/Floyer/etc but it's SO CLOSE!!! and SO nice!!!!

Let me know if you've lived there or if you know anyone else's experience!!
I'm so conflicted on where to live. I definitely don't want to live in a shitty area with a bunch of undergrads....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending