The Student Room Group

How the heck did anyone get an A* in GCSE art?

I was getting C and Ds throughout the year in my school report and my final grade was one of my worst across my GCSEs

I'm so glad I NEVER have to do this stupid subject again though. A levels are so much better when you can just do triple maths and physics and not have to do any stupid subjects like art.

I wasted so much time and effort into this crappy subject for a **** grade in the end

I originally kinda wanted to do art since I was considered one of the strongest drawers in my year group but after getting Cs and Ds and stuff throughout the year I decided that maths is a better subject

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
By making art.
Original post by BCMFM16
By making art.

wtf is that supposed to mean? I did do some drawings that I believe were worth more than the crap grades i got
Reply 3
Original post by BigBadWoofWoof
wtf is that supposed to mean? I did do some drawings that I believe were worth more than the crap grades i got

Paint what yoour heart says....

A great song from Disney told us that if we follow our hearts "we shall shine as bright as the sun"
Reply 4
Gotta be good at drawing? Lol
Reply 5
To get an A* in art you need to either;
a) sell your soul
or
b) do nothing but art, and fail in all your other subjects.

You choose.
Original post by TheSeal
Gotta be good at drawing? Lol

How the **** good do you need to be? It's a gcse for christ's sake you're supposed to be able to get A* in half your subjects by lying on a sofa and watching TV all day
Art took up all the time I could've spent revising for subjects that mattered more.

What was more annoying was that throughout the year, my tutor was like 'your work is amazing, you're predicted an A*', only to point out 1,000+ faults in my work one week before the deadline.

Honestly, I love drawing and painting but if I could choose my GCSEs again, I'd choose another language instead of Art :colone:
I flopped Art GCSE got a B. The 5 people that got A*s were the teacher's pets and the teachers devoted most of their teaching time to admiring and honing the skills of these 5 students. The rest of us were left to our own devices. I don't feel like I learnt how to paint better or sculpt better my skills or lack thereof remained the same at the beginning compared to the end of the year.
Original post by aoxa
a) sell your soul
or

You choose.

I did option (b) during my GCSEs pretty much, I did no work on ANY of the other subjects except art. Yet I came out with mostly A*s in the other subjects and still flopped art rofl
Just manage your time right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aoxa
a) sell your soul
or

You choose.

or
c) Don't sleep and do continuous school work, including art every lunch time

Spoiler

Original post by Gingerbread101
or
c) Don't sleep and do continuous school work, including art every lunch time

Spoiler

how the heck good do u need to be to get an A*?

I did these for GCSE art and flopped it

It's not really about your drawing skills- it's evidencing parts of the mark scheme like any other subject :yep: So showing you've gotten inspiration from your artists, doing detailed analysis, developing your drawings in the style of the artist. It's very rigid and takes it more into the lines of copying rather than being creative, but that's how you do it :smile:

They're good! How did you fail?!

I got a C :getmecoat: Wasn't bothered anyway! :lol:
Original post by Gingerbread101
It's not really about your drawing skills- it's evidencing parts of the mark scheme like any other subject :yep: So showing you've gotten inspiration from your artists, doing detailed analysis, developing your drawings in the style of the artist. It's very rigid and takes it more into the lines of copying rather than being creative, but that's how you do it :smile:

ffs I just drew in the style that I got the most compliments by other people for
Original post by nabster458
http://akk.li/pics/anne.jpg this was one of my project pics, still got an A ffs

I hate you so god damn much
ffs I just drew in the style that I got the most compliments by other people for

Did your teacher not tell you anything about getting artists for inspiration?
Reply 18
Original post by nabster458
http://akk.li/pics/anne.jpg this was one of my project pics, still got an A ffs

damnit, you got me :biggrin:
Original post by Radk
damnit, you got me :biggrin:

loool, in all seriousness an a* in art is so hard, its a subjective subject like engoush

Quick Reply

Latest