sarahalieee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can someone help me with the stages. I mostly struggle with, what to look out for in transcripts that puts the child in what stage. Any theories to help this aswell,(like i know pronoun stages is Bellugi etc).
Also I struggle with distinguishing telegraphic and post telegraphic in a transcript. Any help and ill be greatful!
msr176
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Telegraphic usually means 3 word utterances. Look through the transcript and see what the average length of utterance is; if it's 3 then it's telegraphic.

For post-telegraphic it's a little more complicated as you need to look out for the 4 features that make a post-telegraphic candidate:

> Compound and complex sentences (think back to AS)
> Extended noun phrases
> Range of verb forms
> Understanding of tense.

I'll attach a document I made while revising which includes all of the theories I know for acquisition which includes Crystal's Stages of Language Development, hope it helps!
Attached files
sarahalieee
Rep:
?
Thanks so much! I saw my teacher and she gave me some advice today but thanks so much for the attachment
msr176
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not a problem!
sarahalieee
Rep:
?
This document is amazing, needed to refresh on somethings and this is like a check list. So thank you I really appreciate it.
msr176
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sarahalieee)
This document is amazing, needed to refresh on somethings and this is like a check list. So thank you I really appreciate it.
Just looked at it and there was a mistake, amended version attached.
Attached files
sarahalieee
Rep:
?
(Original post by msr176)
Just looked at it and there was a mistake, amended version attached.
I'm sorry to bother you again, but do you habe another document on language change. Like concepts or anything. Your aquisition document has been getting me good marks in class!
msr176
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sorry to bother you again, but do you habe another document on language change. Like concepts or anything. Your aquisition document has been getting me good marks in class!
Didn't see this. I don't have one I made myself, but on the first page I have posted some notes on theories that are easy to apply to texts as well as two images of a theory sheet for LC my teacher gave out.

Hope it helps, if there's anything specific you struggle with just ask and one of us will have the answer I'm sure!
sarahalieee
Rep:
?
Didn't see this. I don't have one I made myself, but on the first page I have posted some notes on theories that are easy to apply to texts as well as two images of a theory sheet for LC my teacher gave out.

Hope it helps, if there's anything specific you struggle with just ask and one of us will have the answer I'm sure!
What page, your profile page? Sorry I'm new to think website. Thanks for all your help, I'm so thankful!!!
msr176
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What page, your profile page? Sorry I'm new to think website. Thanks for all your help, I'm so thankful!!!
Sorry, confused what thread this was in I'll C&P and link some stuff ^-^

Functional Theory - Halliday (only for lexical change)
>Language changes due to the needs of the user
>This is mainly technological advancements as we need to name new things, or reuse words to name new tech. This also makes other lexis obsolete such as horse and carriage because of the development of cars. This can be easily applied to any text.

Linked to archaisms, you can say that Accommodation Theory - Giles links to the high prestige/complex words such as "thus" "thence" etc have become archaic due to the informalisation of our language over time and so writers are downwardly converging towards a simpler lexicon because of the wider readership as well as a reaction to the more informal lexis we use in today's society.

Substratum Theory
>Language changes due to contact.
>Used to be invasions (so the French influence on our language, the Anglo-Saxon capitalisation etc)
>But now is mainly due to immigration and travel so new borrowings are brought about etc.

To apply the pre/descriptivist views, I find it easiest to say that pre-1755 was a descriptive era since language use was more liberal, but afterwards there was a period of prescriptivism popularity due to the dictionary, Lowthe's short intro to grammar etc.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...3&d=1433789619
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...5&d=1433789659

Hope they help you! ^-^
sarahalieee
Rep:
?
Sorry, confused what thread this was in I'll C&P and link some stuff ^-^

Functional Theory - Halliday (only for lexical change)
>Language changes due to the needs of the user
>This is mainly technological advancements as we need to name new things, or reuse words to name new tech. This also makes other lexis obsolete such as horse and carriage because of the development of cars. This can be easily applied to any text.

Linked to archaisms, you can say that Accommodation Theory - Giles links to the high prestige/complex words such as "thus" "thence" etc have become archaic due to the informalisation of our language over time and so writers are downwardly converging towards a simpler lexicon because of the wider readership as well as a reaction to the more informal lexis we use in today's society.

Substratum Theory
>Language changes due to contact.
>Used to be invasions (so the French influence on our language, the Anglo-Saxon capitalisation etc)
>But now is mainly due to immigration and travel so new borrowings are brought about etc.

To apply the pre/descriptivist views, I find it easiest to say that pre-1755 was a descriptive era since language use was more liberal, but afterwards there was a period of prescriptivism popularity due to the dictionary, Lowthe's short intro to grammar etc.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...3&d=1433789619
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...5&d=1433789659

Hope they help you! ^-^
Ahh you're amazing thank you sopoo much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (638)
48.55%
No (676)
51.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed