The Student Room Group

Should obese people pay more for plane seats / to fly?

Scroll to see replies

When I created the thread I meant severely obese, not people like bodybuilders and naturally tall people.

Mo
It makes sense if they take up two seats to pay for two seats. You don't pay for the people, you pay for the seats. If you paid for the people you'd pay for babies as well. You're paying for seats.

And I really don't think "fat rights" is going to impede this. The airlines definitely won't argue getting more money because someone takes up two seats and must pay.

And when big businesses are happy, the government is happy. So the gov't won't get mad at any laws or policies to pay for each seat despite situation because they won't have powerful corps on their back.

Spoiler

And if enough people agree that they should pay for inconveniencing and many probably will

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Morganblue68
When I created the thread I meant severely obese, not people like bodybuilders and naturally tall people.

Mo

who actually didn't understand that? lol
Should tall people? I know people sat next to me will be annoyed by my legs pressing into them.
Original post by Drewski
100% yes.

Bags over a certain weight are charged, so why not people?

Weights are absolutely critical to aircraft, they can be the difference between them taking off and crashing. It is utterly ludicrous that some 16yr old 5'0 girl who would blow away in a stiff breeze would be charged the same as some 20st heffer.

You clearly know what you're talking about. 8/10, would read again.
Reply 45
image.jpgConsidering NASA uses 747's to carry and launch some space craft I think charging you for extra baggage is a big con hahaha:s-smilie:
Original post by ForzaFerrari
Just another thing for people to get weight obsessed about

Posted from TSR Mobile

have you ever sat by someone whose body weight (not to mention odour and breathing noises) is spilling out into your seat? It is not a fun experience. And i only had to put up with for a 45 minute flight from dublin to birmingham.If i had that on a long haul flight to Thailand Id be going nuts.

If they cannot physically sit in one seat in a comfortable manner then yes charge them for two seats. Its not only nicer for the fat person but nicer for the passenger in the next seat
Original post by callum_law
You clearly know what you're talking about. 8/10, would read again.

No, you're right, clearly aircraft don't fly because of a fine balance between thrust and drag, and lift and weight, but because of fairy dust and magic.
Original post by Drewski
No, you're right, clearly aircraft don't fly because of a fine balance between thrust and drag, and lift and weight, but because of fairy dust and magic.

Nice reductio ad absurdum, kid, keep these zingers coming.
Original post by silverbolt
have you ever sat by someone whose body weight (not to mention odour and breathing noises) is spilling out into your seat? It is not a fun experience. And i only had to put up with for a 45 minute flight from dublin to birmingham.If i had that on a long haul flight to Thailand Id be going nuts.

If they cannot physically sit in one seat in a comfortable manner then yes charge them for two seats. Its not only nicer for the fat person but nicer for the passenger in the next seat

Yes I have but I just listened to music and forgot about it
Reply 50
of course
Original post by Man.bear.pig
who actually didn't understand that? lol

It seemed as if people were comparing it unfairly to bodybuilders etc, I thought it was obvious when I said "obese"

Mo
'No, it's wrong to body shame them and they should be happy with their weight' - if you're fat enough to not be able to properly fit into a plane seat without spilling over into your neighbours' seats then you should be embarrassed with yourself. How can anybody be happy with being that fat aesthetically or health wise? Society shouldn't accommodate what is a selfish life style choice
Yes, but they should make some bigger seats too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending