The Student Room Group

Conditional to unconditional without meeting requirements??

Hi

I received a conditional from my chosen university and I had to pass maths and English at a C. I passed English with a B but failed Maths, (due to resit this month)
but to day I logged in to my ucas track and it now says Unconditional offer (firm choice) when it used to say conditional (firm choice) does that mean I have a place and can they revoke it when they realise they have made a mistake ( i have emailed them) I attach a screen shot of my ucas page just encase i am missing something.
Original post by Debsb54
Hi

I received a conditional from my chosen university and I had to pass maths and English at a C. I passed English with a B but failed Maths, (due to resit this month)
but to day I logged in to my ucas track and it now says Unconditional offer (firm choice) when it used to say conditional (firm choice) does that mean I have a place and can they revoke it when they realise they have made a mistake ( i have emailed them) I attach a screen shot of my ucas page just encase i am missing something.

You can also check this out here but basically, an unconditional offer means that you've got in, subject to any non-academic requirements they specify. For example, this may be a DBS check, and other things... (they'll state this with the offer!)

What they may have done is give you an offer based on their standard entry requirements, but then decide that because you and your grades, after looking at them, that they still wanted you to go there...

For uni, I was given a conditional offer, but they said that if I did it as my firm, they'd make it unconditional. I'd wait for them to email back to you, but technically they can't withdraw that offer now that you've accepted it, even if they made a mistake!
Original post by mobbsy91
You can also check this out here but basically, an unconditional offer means that you've got in, subject to any non-academic requirements they specify. For example, this may be a DBS check, and other things... (they'll state this with the offer!)

What they may have done is give you an offer based on their standard entry requirements, but then decide that because you and your grades, after looking at them, that they still wanted you to go there...

For uni, I was given a conditional offer, but they said that if I did it as my firm, they'd make it unconditional. I'd wait for them to email back to you, but technically they can't withdraw that offer now that you've accepted it, even if they made a mistake!

Hey what uni did you get an unconditional for and for which course? I want to apply for Queen Mary Economics and hoping to get an unconditional if i firm them. I was talking to you about UCL yesterday but not too sure about them anymore lol
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Hey what uni did you get an unconditional for and for which course? I want to apply for Queen Mary Economics and hoping to get an unconditional if i firm them. I was talking to you about UCL yesterday but not too sure about them anymore lol

I've got an unconditional for University of East Anglia to study Business Finance and Economics.

Haha, ok, well, there's still loads of time before you're anywhere near being able to even apply yet, so it may still be worth speaking to UCL and visiting them if they're on your mind, and in any case, it may help you decide you definitely don't want to go there...
I've got an unconditional for University of East Anglia to study Business Finance and Economics.

Haha, ok, well, there's still loads of time before you're anywhere near being able to even apply yet, so it may still be worth speaking to UCL and visiting them if they're on your mind, and in any case, it may help you decide you definitely don't want to go there...

I think UCL will be too competitive for Economics as I don't offer the subjects that other applicants would have. That's why I have settled for Queen Mary Economics for 2016 entry. If I get predicted A*'s, do you think they would give me an unconditional?
I think UCL will be too competitive for Economics as I don't offer the subjects that other applicants would have. That's why I have settled for Queen Mary Economics for 2016 entry. If I get predicted A*'s, do you think they would give me an unconditional?

Ahh ok, fair enough...

Well, it really depends... my predicted grades were bang on what they stated on their site, and my ASs were actually slightly worse, yet I still got an unconditional... Unconditional offers are still relatively rare, and really aren't given out massively, and are given to a range of factors including personal statement, grades, reference... There's no way to predict whether or not you would get one unortunately.
Original post by Debsb54
Hi

Take the unconditional offer and run!
Ahh ok, fair enough...

Well, it really depends... my predicted grades were bang on what they stated on their site, and my ASs were actually slightly worse, yet I still got an unconditional... Unconditional offers are still relatively rare, and really aren't given out massively, and are given to a range of factors including personal statement, grades, reference... There's no way to predict whether or not you would get one unortunately.

Do you feel like unconditional offer has taken away a bit of the pressure for your A2's? An unconditional for me would take away so much stress, I would still revise for the good grades though :smile:

Ahh i see, I thought maybe if my AS grades matched their offer and my A2 predictions were higher, since I am firming them from day one they would offer me the unconditonal. There was an article that was talking about Queen Mary and Nottingham offering unconditionals on their courses :smile: I am visiting Queen mary on their next open day this month and I will try and speak to the admissions tutor to see what they will base an unconditional offer on. Do you think its rude to ask about an unconditional offer?
Do you feel like unconditional offer has taken away a bit of the pressure for your A2's? An unconditional for me would take away so much stress, I would still revise for the good grades though :smile:

Ahh i see, I thought maybe if my AS grades matched their offer and my A2 predictions were higher, since I am firming them from day one they would offer me the unconditonal. There was an article that was talking about Queen Mary and Nottingham offering unconditionals on their courses :smile: I am visiting Queen mary on their next open day this month and I will try and speak to the admissions tutor to see what they will base an unconditional offer on. Do you think its rude to ask about an unconditional offer?

Yeh, it's definitely taken the stress off, but you need to still do well because of future employment etc...

Nah, that's how unconditional offers work at all... of course it will depend on your predicted grades and stuff, but other things into account....

Not sure whether it's rude or not to be honest... I think that they still don't happen very much that I wasn't even thinking I'd get an unconditional...
Yeh, it's definitely taken the stress off, but you need to still do well because of future employment etc...

Nah, that's how unconditional offers work at all... of course it will depend on your predicted grades and stuff, but other things into account....

Not sure whether it's rude or not to be honest... I think that they still don't happen very much that I wasn't even thinking I'd get an unconditional...

Hmm yeah future employment is a reason to still do good. However people say that once you get a degree, employers dont really look into your A levels? Obviously graduate schemes at the Top 4 look at ucas points (except PwC who have recently scrapped that) but yeah i thought A levels wouldn't fully matter after the degree.

Yeah I didn't mean that just because my predicted grades are higher i will get the unconditional, I forgot to say that I wanna write a really good personal statement and get some work experience done to try for the unconditional.

I do realise unconditionals are very hard to get but I really wanna go for one. I'll ask when I go and see what they say :tongue:
Which Uni was this for?

Some middle-range Unis make Unconditional offers on certain courses but only IF you go Firm with them. You should be able to see something about this on their website or in the erms of your original offer. The original offer is Conditional (ie. you have to go Firm is the condition) and it only changes to U if you do actually pick it as your Firm choice.

OR, some middle/low Unis (ot will start panicking about now that they haven't made enough offers to guarantee enough students in September. So they start turning some of the offers to Unconditional.

OR they are doing this to stop you using Adjustment to go somewhere else if you get higher grades in August than they were originally asking you for. If you have an Unconditional offer there are no grades for you to 'exceed' therefore you can't go somewhere else, you are tied into that Uni.

If you still dont understand why, then phone the Uni and ask them. PS. If your offer is now at UF that means your Insurance choice will also have disappeared - because now you don't need one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
The uni says I still need to pass maths. Even thought they made the mistake.
Reply 12

They say that it was a mistake and cannot change it on ucas but i still need to pass maths in order to get on the course. Thanks for your reply.
Original post by Debsb54
They say that it was a mistake and cannot change it on ucas but i still need to pass maths in order to get on the course. Thanks for your reply.

Ahh ok, they can't change it on UCAS because once they've given an offer they shouldn't be able to take it away... EDIT: Unless: refer to PQs post below...

Best of luck with maths, and I'm glad you were able to speak to them about it!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Debsb54

If it is a mistake then UCAS have a process for them to correct it. If they are saying you offer is still conditional on your maths grade then they NEED to put their mistake right with UCAS. By making you UF they have cancelled your insurance choice - if you miss the maths grade and they reject you (which they can still do) then you'll be placed straight into clearing.

Call them again tomorrow. Take names and job titles from the people you speak to and insist that they correct the error with UCAS.
Ahh ok, they can't change it on UCAS because once they've given an offer they shouldn't be able to take it away...

Best of luck with maths, and I'm glad you were able to speak to them about it!

UCAS have a process for genuine errors. As long as an applicant is notified of the mistake it can be reversed. But the uni has to fess up to UCAS for it to happen.
Original post by PQ
UCAS have a process for genuine errors. As long as an applicant is notified of the mistake it can be reversed. But the uni has to fess up to UCAS for it to happen.

Ahh makes sense! Cheers for letting me know mate!
Which Uni is this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending