The Student Room Group

Why do girls do this?

So I've asked a few girls(over a long period of time, not all at once :tongue: ) if they want to go for a drink, and they just haven't replied. Of course I take this as a no, and I'm fine with it and don't push it any further, but it would just be much, much better if they just said no. I can appreciate it might be a bit awkward, but just not replying I don't think is really on to be honest. It's pretty rude, and doesn't exactly make you feel great, whereas at least if they say no you've been told and can respect their decision more. It's just not a great way to treat people, really.

So does anyone have any idea why girls do this, and if you've done this, why did you do it and not just say no? Genuinely interested.

Edit: to be clear, I'm asking over messenger, where I have already spoken to them and at least know them a bit.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably because of cowardice. They don't want to hurt your feelings, but in the process do so inadvertently by not saying no outright, and just ignoring you.

I'd say this as consolation: they're not worth your time. Better to find girls who are honest and straightforward about how they feel, and are more mature in how they go about telling you.
Reply 2
Original post by Bananas01
So I've asked a few girls(over a long period of time, not all at once :tongue: ) if they want to go for a drink, and they just haven't replied. Of course I take this as a no, and I'm fine with it and don't push it any further, but it would just be much, much better if they just said no. I can appreciate it might be a bit awkward, but just not replying I don't think is really on to be honest. It's pretty rude, and doesn't exactly make you feel great, whereas at least if they say no you've been told and can respect their decision more. It's just not a great way to treat people, really.

So does anyone have any idea why girls do this, and if you've done this, why did you do it and not just say no? Genuinely interested.

Edit: to be clear, I'm asking over messenger, where I have already spoken to them and at least know them a bit.

Well I consider that to be quite rude, perhaps they don't know you that well and maybe not ready to meet up. :wink:
I don't know why this would be the thought process of someone. Unless the person was nasty or being inappropriate in some way (I'm not suggesting you are, of course), then I see no reason for ignoring the person. In fact, it's a courageous thing to do. I'd be flattered and politely say no if it was not something I wanted. Maybe it is just coincidence that you've asked people who do this. Keep going and I am sure you'll have a drink with a decent girl soon! :u:
Reply 4
Simple. Girls are rude and inconsiderate - they would rather not reply at all than have some common courtesy even just to write 2 letters: N and O. I would consider a message that only said "No" a lot less rude than blatantly looking at a message and ignoring it (I assume if you're using Messenger, you can see when the other person has read your message). I hate when girls do this - they're all so far up their own ***** and only concerned about themselves that they think they can get away with disrespectful things like that. Move on, find someone who actually has a bit of decency to reply to you, and cut out all the ******* from your life if they don't care about you enough to spend 5 seconds writing a reply to you. :mad:
Original post by asif007
Simple. Girls are rude and inconsiderate - they would rather not reply at all than have some common courtesy even just to write 2 letters: N and O. I would consider a message that only said "No" a lot less rude than blatantly looking at a message and ignoring it (I assume if you're using Messenger, you can see when the other person has read your message). I hate when girls do this - they're all so far up their own ***** and only concerned about themselves that they think they can get away with disrespectful things like that. Move on, find someone who actually has a bit of decency to reply to you, and cut out all the ******* from your life if they don't care about you enough to spend 5 seconds writing a reply to you. :mad:

Hey not every girl is like that! If I'm honest, most humans are like that. I've been ignored too! I don't think this is specific to girls. I think all humans are a bit crap and rude to be honest.
Reply 6
Original post by asif007

That's like saying all guys are retards.

Wow!

How about saying "Girls that do that are rude and inconsiderate?"
Reply 7
Original post by Bananas01

I can't answer for sure, because I've never done that to a guy. I usually thank them for asking me and then am straight with them.

Those girls aren't worth your time!

Don't even give them a second thought.
I won't lie I usually don't reply but I can also say that I do sometimes reject really politely just like I'm not looking to date or I don't think we'd be very compatible and I've had some very dark absuive given to me for it but all different types of guys so it's hard to just expect to be as curtsious as yourself
Original post by wwwander

Wow!

That's because all girls ARE rude and inconsiderate. On the surface, there may be some who have the decency to treat others with some courtesy, especially with something as simple as replying to a message. But peel back all the layers and girls are all the same - manipulative, scheming and self-centred. In my experience, girls like to lure men into relationships and give them a false sense of security before they show their true colours. Typical story: guy is attracted to girl because she's sweet, caring, funny, attractive and all that BS. Guy starts a relationship with girl. Girl takes that as an opportunity to lash out at guy, humiliate him in front of his friends, sleep with other guys and generally not give a **** about how he feels. Obviously every girl will do each of these things to varying degrees, but you are extremely naive if you believe not all girls enjoy doing this.

Every girl likes to use emotional abuse, attention-seeking tactics and making a huge drama out of trivial things because they enjoy the excitement. Girls enjoy the thrill of twisting guys around their fingers with stupid mind-games and temper tantrums. That's why it doesn't surprise me at all when OP says girls don't reply to him. That's a perfect example of self-centred, arrogant and extremely rude behaviour.
Original post by wwwander

Wow!

Well the majority of girls are like this, literally like 75%
Original post by Anonymous
That's because all girls ARE rude and inconsiderate. On the surface, there may be some who have the decency to treat others with some courtesy, especially with something as simple as replying to a message. But peel back all the layers and girls are all the same - manipulative, scheming and self-centred. In my experience, girls like to lure men into relationships and give them a false sense of security before they show their true colours. Typical story: guy is attracted to girl because she's sweet, caring, funny, attractive and all that BS. Guy starts a relationship with girl. Girl takes that as an opportunity to lash out at guy, humiliate him in front of his friends, sleep with other guys and generally not give a **** about how he feels. Obviously every girl will do each of these things to varying degrees, but you are extremely naive if you believe not all girls enjoy doing this.

Every girl likes to use emotional abuse, attention-seeking tactics and making a huge drama out of trivial things because they enjoy the excitement. Girls enjoy the thrill of twisting guys around their fingers with stupid mind-games and temper tantrums. That's why it doesn't surprise me at all when OP says girls don't reply to him. That's a perfect example of self-centred, arrogant and extremely rude behaviour.

Jesus Christ, which girl screwed you over so badly?
Quit hating on every other female in the world, anon, and take your frustration out somewhere else.

Sorry but as a female who has been subject to emotional abuse I can clarify that I am not like that. Your logic is based on what you've experienced. That's like me saying Italy doesn't exist simply because I have never been there. Honestly, I would waste my time justifying why what you said was wrong but if you lack the skills to critically think about what you say that much to even post that in the first place I see no point in it.
Original post by georgie_axolotls
Hey not every girl is like that! If I'm honest, most humans are like that. I've been ignored too! I don't think this is specific to girls. I think all humans are a bit crap and rude to be honest.

I agree with you. There's always two sides to the sword!

Guys can be just as rude as girls and vice versa. I used to fluctuate from favouring girls more than guys and vice versa but ultimately both genders can be just as bad as each other (I can be a d!ck at points but mainly nice).

Have to agree with everyone though. It is really rude for anyone to read your message and not even reply to you. That's just common courtesy but today's society allows people to do those things without feeling guilt.
I don't ignore. I'm more likely to say "I'll let you know" and its not bought up again. I haven't got the guts to say no; I'm scared of being asked why or it just turning ugly. Also one time a guy asked and I wasn't sure if he meant in a date sort of way so I didn't know what to do.
Original post by DanielleT192
I agree with you. There's always two sides to the sword!

Guys can be just as rude as girls and vice versa. I used to fluctuate from favouring girls more than guys and vice versa but ultimately both genders can be just as bad as each other (I can be a d!ck at points but mainly nice).

Have to agree with everyone though. It is really rude for anyone to read your message and not even reply to you. That's just common courtesy but today's society allows people to do those things without feeling guilt.

I totally agree! That's why I don't make generalisations because everyone can be horrid regardless of their features! :smile:
Reply 16

Lol you're really naive if you think only girls do this.

I'm not naive, I'm just not anything like your description of girls, so obviously, you are wrong.

My men are attracted to me because I am strong, intelligent, confident and capable. I have no experience with what you speak of.

I am sorry you have had such experiences and I hope that life presents you with other opportunities to change your outlook on relationships and on women, in general.
Original post by georgie_axolotls
I totally agree! That's why I don't make generalisations because everyone can be horrid regardless of their features! :smile:

Exactly :smile: you sound like an unbiased decent person! Everyone should be like this :tongue:
Original post by cynicphysicist
Jesus Christ, which girl screwed you over so badly?
Quit hating on every other female in the world, anon, and take your frustration out somewhere else.

*Girls (plural). Fifteen and counting.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now. I'm off out to pay a girl for sex, cos that's what I've been driven to. Desperate times, desperate measures.

Original post by haseeb1
Lol you're really naive if you think only girls do this.

Do you seriously think I'm trying to say that all guys are perfect? We're not. But we put up with a lot more **** from girls than they do from us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending