Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Memories and songs watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I left college this week and oasis dont look back in anger came was playing on the radio and it reminded of the time i was leaving primary school.
    This thread is about what songs bring back memories for you and why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greendaygirl)
    I left college this week and oasis dont look back in anger came was playing on the radio and it reminded of the time i was leaving primary school.
    whenever i hear Linkin Park songs all my sad memories come back to me.

ReputationRep:
    Here is my memory song list in rough order

1988 - I remember sitting in a pub with my dad when I was 6 years old and T'Pau's China In Your Hand was playing.

1993 - I remmeber Meat Loaf's I will do anything for love constantly playing at the school disco in year 7

1994 - I remember sitting in the Liverpool Arms in Conwy and my mum played ABBA's Dancing Queen on the joke box, I thought it was an amazing song at the time.

2003 - Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart - For complex reasons, I guess this song influenced my music taste so much and inspired me to get involved in the music industry some how. Since listening to that song I have bought 300 records and gone to loads of gigs, I guess it got me into Joy Division and that opened up a lot of social circles its wiered really.

ReputationRep:
    It is wierd how the music you listened to in early life sort of shapes your musical taste in future. I remember whenever my mum went away and i was left with my dad he use to allways play blondie and i always loved the tide is high and sung that when i was young. I was naturally disgusted when I heard atomic kittens version. Although the song wasnt originally a blondie song.A.K version was BAD.

ReputationRep:

Summer of 69 will always bring back memories of seeing my brother dancing around his room with a snooker cue as his guitar and singing (badly) along... rocking, man. I must've been about 10 and he was 18 lol

Three Lions - I can remember exactly where I was when England played Scotland - and also another England game when my sister and I were stuck in a traffic jam on a boiling hot day with it on the radio. When England scored all these arms came through the windows and sunroofs of the cars around us and a massive cheer went up. The night that Gareth Southgate missed that penalty I went outside into my garden, sat on the swing and cried. I was *gutted*. It was in year 6, so I was 11.

Think Twice by Celine Dion will always remind me of dancing with my best friend at a disco when I was just starting to fall for him. We weren't dancing properly, and not even particularly closely, but it meant the world to me and made me so happy. lol

Ms Jackson, a boiling hot day, walking through Camden Town tube station with all my friends singing it at the top of our voices. Brilliant, fun day that was!

In Da Club - a mates 18th party, driving everyone home at 4am singing it drunkly (they were, I was soberly driving along singing lol)

Wonderwall - The very first song I sang at kareoke (v.badly) when I was about 14 lol. I cringe every time I hear it now!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, for primary school I can remember the 3 lions song for the world cup that year (I think), because we sung a version of it at our leavers assembly.

ReputationRep:
    The Verve- Bitter Sweet Symphony

Always reminds me about moving on.

ReputationRep:
    It is wierd how the music you listened to in early life sort of shapes your musical taste in future.
    Hmm... what I hear in early life hasn't shaped my taste now at all. I can't stand the stuff I used to listen to when I was younger, probably cos it was stuff my parents made me listen too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I listen to a variety of music. My CD collection ranges from Norah Johns to slipnot

When I hear "Oh my love, my darling" - Not sure of the actual name, It reminds me of 2/3 weddings that I've been to. When I hear garage music it reminds of a phaze of being sad.

ReputationRep:
    Anything from the Moody Blues' Sur La Mer album always makes me think of when I was about 9 and playing DOS games like Commander Keen on our old old old PC because my mum used to kick me off my old PC so she could play solitaire and listen to her Moody Blues CDs on it.
    Only the Good Die Young by Billy Joel reminds me of meeting my boyfriend last summer.
    Everybody Needs Somebody from the Blues Brothers reminds me of a drama group I used to go to because we used it in one of our performances.
    All Saints first album reminds me of going shopping around Xmas with my big cousin when I was about 10, and chatting to her about pop music.
    Layla by Derek and the Dominoes reminds me of another show I did because it was the opening music, and ended up, due to technical problems, being played as loud as our huge speakers could play it, probably giving the audience heart attacks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    whenever i hear Linkin Park songs all my sad memories come back to me.
    linkin park,my fav band...
    i was haunted by those bad memories when i hear linkin park...

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember what it was called, but at my year 6 primary school disco (dont laugh!) I remember dancing to...

...'where did you come from where did you go, where did you from from cotton ma jo, where did you come where did you go? when did you come from cotton ma jo, dee dee de dee da deee da deee deeeee...I've been married long time ago.....' (or something like that)

ReputationRep:
    out of time- blur

this song was out when i left one of my schools in y11 and is a memory song too

ReputationRep:
    Oh isn't it so nostalgic when you hear old songs and they remind you of so many things. It makes me want to cry sometimes!

What's weird is most of the songs I remember are those that I don't even like. Like I remember steps "heartbeat" was always playing at my old school discos. and I once had to dance to "Saturday night" with about 20 kids in church when leaving primary school (don't ask why!)

Also, when I listen to old parts of my cd collection they remind me immediately of what I was like at the time and what I was doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike1985)
    I can't remember what it was called, but at my year 6 primary school disco (dont laugh!) I remember dancing to...

...'where did you come from where did you go, where did you from from cotton ma jo, where did you come where did you go? when did you come from cotton ma jo, dee dee de dee da deee da deee deeeee...I've been married long time ago.....' (or something like that)
    Ahhhh! was it something like redneck or something? I dunno...I know the song!!! It was like a jig you dance around arms linked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fantasy`)
    When I hear "Oh my love, my darling" - Not sure of the actual name, It reminds me of 2/3 weddings that I've been to. When I hear garage music it reminds of a phaze of being sad.
    Unchained melody?

ReputationRep:
    I remember I used to love "viva forever" by the spice girls. And I used to drift around in my room to it.

Ack!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Ahhhh! was it something like redneck or something? I dunno...I know the song!!! It was like a jig you dance around arms linked.
    yes! of course I was an expert at the dance, what with my training as a country dancer! we had great big pieces of straw in our mouths whilst singing it and pranced around the dance floor shouting out 'OOOH-ARRRR!' and various other farmer noises every so often.

ah, the memories... !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike1985)
    yes! of course I was an expert at the dance, what with my training as a country dancer! we had great big pieces of straw in our mouths whilst singing it and pranced around the dance floor shouting out 'OOOH-ARRRR!' and various other farmer noises every so often.

ah, the memories... !
    hahaha funny!!!!

Does anyone remember those dresses that were in fashion around primary school time...like black top part with shiny skirt part....oh i am talking rubbish now

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.