I can't sleep...

Watch
sufle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've actually had this problem for quite a few months, but it hasn't been as severe until now. It started off with simple tossing and turning, which would last for about 30 minutes until I felt ready to nod off. I always thought this was normal and never took much notice of it.

However, for the past two months or so, I've found that as soon as I'm about to fall asleep (and quite literally feel the falling sensation), I jolt awake and have a quick heartbeat for a few seconds. When it began it'd only happen once or twice but at its worst it'd happen every 3 minutes. I soon learned this was hypnic jerk and found that the best solution was to focus on something else - like how my day was or think about things I'd seen - as this was sort of a distraction and it helped me fall asleep.

But for the past three days it's been getting much worse. I find when I try and get to sleep I stop breathing for about 15 seconds before being jolted awake. It feels awful. I feel like when I'm jolted awake, someone is ripping me out of it by my chest and I get really light-headed and sick. I also feel myself spasm - so much so that I actually knock stuff off my bedside table. I can be jolted awake several times - last night I counted over 100 times. I actually end up finally getting some rest at about 4am, when I've turned the lights off at 11pm.

It's hindering my everyday life. I get really emotional and irritable at the smallest things and have lost my appetite. I now constantly look ill because I'm so pale from a lack of sleep. Tonight I think I might be hallucinating because I'm hearing noises that aren't being made (such as doors opening and someone turning on the tap) and seeing things that aren't there (I saw a huge spider walk across my wall even though I always check my room for spiders before I asleep. Still, I didn't want to risk it and I got the hell out of there. I actually just "saw" another one just now and I knew it couldn't exist because it seemed to vanish into thin air).

Overall it's terrifying and affecting me, especially since I still have exams and even have one tomorrow. Can anyone give me advice on what to do? I've tried sleeping on my side and making my bed more comfortable but it isn't working. I don't think I have a big neck (it's 15 inches) and even though I'm overweight, I'm working on it. What do I have?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sleep apnea is a possibility,i d get yourself to a doctor asap and at least get a note to give to your exams officer
sufle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Sleep apnea is a possibility,i d get yourself to a doctor asap and at least get a note to give to your exams officer
I've been considering it, and at first I didn't want to because the majority of the doctors aren't that great. But I think I will, and I'll mention sleep apnea. Thank you.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sufle)
I've been considering it, and at first I didn't want to because the majority of the doctors aren't that great. But I think I will, and I'll mention sleep apnea. Thank you.
Hope you feel better soon you could always request a doctor your more comfortable with,you re within you rights to ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.51%
I'm not sure (51)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.39%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.62%

Watched Threads