Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Some people don't just work because they get money, some peope don't choose their job because it is the highest paid. Some people actually believe in making a difference. That's why people go into professions such as medicine, nursing, teaching.

Look at the number of people who do voluntary work. Either abroad or in Britain. My grandmother was in a hospice for a time, most of the staff were volunteers - yes TheWolf - some people choose to spend shifts making beds, administering drugs and being puked on for the grand some of £0.00. OK I'll give you some time now to get over the shock of that.
    emm i know that. What point are you trying to make against what i was saying? I never said anything against nurses :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The fact of the matter is that the NHS can find people to do the job for rubbish wages, if this wasn't the case the wages should rise.

Whose people who say they are underated, i agree they do alot of very important work however most public service workers do, eg. dustbin men, smell of **** 24/7, rubbish hours and low pay. If they didnt do their jobs we would be stuffed too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    The fact of the matter is that the NHS can find people to do the job for rubbish wages, if this wasn't the case the wages should rise.

Whose people who say they are underated, i agree they do alot of very important work however most public service workers do, eg. dustbin men, smell of **** 24/7, rubbish hours and low pay. If they didnt do their jobs we would be stuffed too.
    But this could be considered a moral argument - they should be paid more even if we don't need to pay them more.

ReputationRep:
    nurses are overworked and under paid...

When I was in hospital a couple of weeks ago one of the nurses nearly killed me by pumping air through my drip into my vein which then would have travelled to my heart because she didn't flush it first, luckily my mum saw and made her stop but if my mum wasn't there I might not be here now...

My experience wasn't the best as other things happened as well, but the nurse who nearly did pump my vein with air was very caring but I didn't feel 'safe' being left in the care of the hospital though... (bear in mind this is one of the worst hospitals in the uk though...)

My stay could've been a lot worse though...

I still respect the job that nurses and the whole of the NHS does though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    But this could be considered a moral argument - they should be paid more even if we don't need to pay them more.
    leave morality out of it its useless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    leave morality out of it its useless
    Not at all, most people would like to think we live in a moralistic society and in such a society we should pay people what they deserve rather than what we can get away with.

ReputationRep:
    explain why you cant compare road layers to nurses
    to become a road layer you dont need the bedside manners and communcation skills as well as the pateince that a nurse requires. the jobs that nurses do are increasing- they are becoming more medical-almost like doctors.
    if you ask a medic what the hardest question he could get at a medical school interview undoubtedly he'd say "why do you want to become a doctor and not a nurse?"
    that is one harsh question

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, most people would like to think we live in a moralistic society and in such a society we should pay people what they deserve rather than what we can get away with.
    lol a moralistic society - this acts against basics of economics

ReputationRep:
    morality isnt particularly important in a captialist system

thats why ford didnt bother fixing their exploxer in 2002 (i think) they just let people die and paid the lawsuiits, it was cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    to become a road layer you dont need the bedside manners and communcation skills as well as the pateince that a nurse requires. the jobs that nurses do are increasing- they are becoming more medical-almost like doctors.
    if you ask a medic what the hardest question he could get at a medical school interview undoubtedly he'd say "why do you want to become a doctor and not a nurse?"
    nurses are not supposed to be 'medical-almost like doctors'. Thats why there are doctors and there are nurses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    you are seriously underestimating the skill of a road bulider, if the road wasn't curved it would fill with water ect. If they dont get it in the right place they are screwed, if they lay the materials it will have to be dug up again.

ReputationRep:
    lol a moralistic society - this acts against basics of economics
    It doesn't have to, they could work together.

ReputationRep:
    you are seriously underestimating the skill of a road bulider, if the road wasn't curved it would fill with water ect. If they dont get it in the right place they are screwed, if they lay the materials it will have to be dug up again.
    But they don't have to have a degree.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't have to, they could work together.
    whos they? and are you suggesting turning britain into communism?

ReputationRep:
    whos they? and are you suggesting turning britain into communism?
    Morals and Economics. No, not communism, a moralistic capitalist society would be ideal, though I won't preach it because I realise it is all but impossible, I'm just hypothesising.

ReputationRep:
    But they don't have to have a degree.
    you dont need a degree to become a plummer either but you would say they are skilled. Degree's are by no means everything and if you have a degree in from a poor uni in a less academic subject there is no difference between that and a vocational course.

ReputationRep:
    you dont need a degree to become a plummer either but you would say they are skilled. Degree's are by no means everything and if you have a degree in from a poor uni in a less academic subject there is no difference between that and a vocational course.
    Though the vast majority of plumbers (and certainly those earning >£20k) have NVQ Level 2 or higher.

ReputationRep:
    Morals and Economics. No, not communism, a moralistic capitalist society would be ideal, though I won't preach it because I realise it is all but impossible, I'm just hypothesising.
    if its impossible its not really worth putting forward, I might as well say lets pay nurses with gold bullion from the bank of england as its not being used for anything.

ReputationRep:
    if its impossible its not really worth putting forward, I might as well say lets pay nurses with gold bullion from the bank of england as its not being used for anything.
    It's not impossible, just not very probable.

ReputationRep:
    Morals and Economics
    giving higher wages to workers because of moral reasons....no no no

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.