Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are nurses an underrated profession? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by minor procedures? Operations or simple things that doctors would normaly do such as specific medical treatment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    fireman take alot more risks and they arent paid that well, how is teaching not a a job?
    **i meant teaching is not a nice job.

Firemen do take risks but statisitically its safer than being in the police force and fireman still get £30k a year which is far more than nurses get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    **i meant teaching is not a nice job.

Firemen do take risks but statisitically its safer than being in the police force and fireman still get £30k a year which is far more than nurses get.
    I think its nearer 25K from what i have read unless you have some stats, and police men another job that should get paid more

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they should all get paid more but that's never going to happen. Since when did being "underrated" equate to being inadequately paid?

We only ever notice something if it stands out particularly, I don't walk around thinking "oooo, aren't nurses doing a good job?" but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the work they do. Anyway, the nurse didn't give me an extra blanket when I was shivering so much so she is in my bad books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Yes, they should all get paid more but that's never going to happen. Since when did being "underrated" equate to being inadequately paid?

We only ever notice something if it stands out particularly, I don't walk around thinking "oooo, aren't nurses doing a good job?" but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the work they do. Anyway, the nurse didn't give me an extra blanket when I was shivering so much so she is in my bad books
    Normaly I don't think about nurses its only becuase they I saw what they had to put up with last week and it just made me think of the job they have to do for quite little money when I will probably be getting paid more than just for sitting in a comfertable office on a computer which is probably both less physicaly and interlectualy challanging than being a nurse.

I think most public sector workers are probably underpaid but their is no real viable solution for it. It just annoys me when footballers get paid £250,000 per week.

ReputationRep:
    Yea nurses deserve more pay but so do many others in the health/emergency services. Think of RNLI they get paid nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairydust)
    Yea nurses deserve more pay but so do many others in the health/emergency services. Think of RNLI they get paid nothing!
    yeah but think about so those ppl come to england to do the same job for half of the money, it will be so hard to find a 'good' pay job. so they shouldn't complain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Normaly I don't think about nurses its only becuase they I saw what they had to put up with last week and it just made me think of the job they have to do for quite little money when I will probably be getting paid more than just for sitting in a comfertable office on a computer which is probably both less physicaly and interlectualy challanging than being a nurse.

I think most public sector workers are probably underpaid but their is no real viable solution for it. It just annoys me when footballers get paid £250,000 per week.
    footballers get paid too much however this is again due to economics, there is a demand for there services and few people can play football as well as these people. If you can come up with a economic system that solves this problem you will be famous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i dont see any difficult/professional skills required to be a nurse, so i dont see how it can be or should be highly paid
    What really annoys me is that fire fighters get pay rises (are they on about 18K a year?) and all they do is sleep throughout the night, yes I do realise that when they are called out they are risking their lifes but they do have protective suits. Nurses have to deal with abuse ontop of their nursing duties so I think they are very undervalued. Also I think the fire fighters should have a pay reduction to 15K a year and nurses should get an increase. There is not a short supply of fire fighters either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    My mum was once a nurse and left the NHS after about 10 years for a private hospital and got 50% more pay plus on many occasions, tips.
    It's actually unethical for nurses to accept tips. In the NHS she would have been sacked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    nurses are overworked and under paid...

When I was in hospital a couple of weeks ago one of the nurses nearly killed me by pumping air through my drip into my vein which then would have travelled to my heart because she didn't flush it first, luckily my mum saw and made her stop but if my mum wasn't there I might not be here now...

You'd probably be ok, I've seen air pumped straight into a coronary artery with no side efffect. We were all a bit suprised at that but the patient was OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    morality isnt particularly important in a captialist system

thats why ford didnt bother fixing their exploxer in 2002 (i think) they just let people die and paid the lawsuiits, it was cheaper.
    Well in the end it wasn't, they had to pay explary(?sp) damages.

ReputationRep:
    Firemen should have their pay reduced to 15k? That's a controversial position - they are saving peoples lives at a risk to theirs, after all.

My parents were both nurses, and I've seen the levels of stress it can put people under. It's a tough profession. It's never been about the money, though. My mum now earns plenty managing other nurses, but she says it's something of a trade-off in terms of fulfillment. She used to work with terminally ill people, and my dad is an anaesthetic nurse. The role of nurses as carers is an important one, and should be recognised as such.

ReputationRep:
    My mom was a nurse too, but now she works as a Social Worker.

Yes, I do think nurses are underpaid, but making other emergency services underpaid won't solve anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunchild)
    My mom was a nurse too, but now she works as a Social Worker.

Yes, I do think nurses are underpaid, but making other emergency services underpaid won't solve anything!
    Don't you think that pay should be proportional to amount of work someone does?

ReputationRep:
    Well of course, that is one of the reasons that other services shouldn't be paid less just to fund other services. My parents both work in the NHS, my dad is also part of the TA to help support us. Most jobs in the NHS don't pay extravagantly, it can't work that way. If the money is available, then yes pay should be purportionate (? might have to chack my spelling there!), but I doubt that will happen soon.

Ideally, all would be recognised for the important, dangerous and necerssary (sorry, I'm tired, spelling out of the window) jobs we do. Well, those who have them.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.