The Student Room Group

OCR PSYCHOLOGY A2 G543 and G544 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R_Rebecca
you can collect nominal data from observations I think because of the behaviour categories/checklist

oh okay, ill have to go over that again later to familiarise myself with that.
hey guys would I get full marks for this question - its only worth 3marks but just want to know if that answer is correct:

5) How would you obtain nominal level data from your practical question? - One way i could obtain nominal level data is through categories, for example how many students agree/disagree that summer examinations are stressful.
does anyone know how to answer this question : Discuss the extent to which Psychology can be considered a science (8marks) - kinda stuck on this question, I attempted it and could only think of one point : Psychology can be considered as a science due to the objective, consistent data which is collected by Psychologists. Objective, physiological measures were used in Johansson's study (1978) into work-related stress. Urine samples were collected to analyse the participants Catecholamine (adrenaline) levels. Johansson found that in the first urine sample of the day, the high risk groups (14 Sawmill finishers) adrenaline levels were twice as high as their baseline. This scientific method of collecting data demonstrates that psychology can be considered a science.

thats all I've got - the mark scheme says you only need 2/3 balanced points. Could someone tell me how I would finish that question? other than adding Freud as a counter argument (because his study was not disproved.) Thanks!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Anyone know what studies would come under Individual Differences from A2 research?

I can only think of AS ones - Rosenhan, Thigpen etc
Original post by YasminAbdi
really are they easier? I shall definitely revise individual difference approach tonight then. hows your revision coming along? I haven't really practised section A, but I have gone through the main points I need for that section. I find that section ok tbh

I think they're easier :biggrin:, Not great I have my 3 hardest exams in the next 2 days so hard to fit in a lot of psychology revision. Yeah Section A seems okay!
Original post by Charleybarron
I think they're easier :biggrin:, Not great I have my 3 hardest exams in the next 2 days so hard to fit in a lot of psychology revision. Yeah Section A seems okay!

oh okay, good luck with them and try to balance them as much as possible. Btw I didn't really understand observational for section A but just attempted a question about structured observation and using event sampling this is part of my answer where I described the structured answer that will be used, can you read it and tell me if it makes sense and if I missed anything out: I will be using a structured observation and data will be collected using event sampling, this means that the behaviour will be recorded every time they occur....................(I stated how I would carry out the study and the number of observers, how they will observe).......... and then said: Pilot studies will be conducted prior to this study in order to identify appropriate behavioural categories. The pairs of observers with pre-check the consistency of the categories used to ensure inter rater reliability. This behavioural category will be adopted in the study and will consist of categories such as 'eating loudly' and 'crunching food'. Every time the observers observe a particular behaviour they will record the behaviour in the relevant category.

Did I miss anything out and do we use categories for other types of observations? or is it just for structured? and would I have to include a final paragraph stating the type of data collected to gain full marks? e.g, Nominal data will be collected due to the categories?

if anyone else has answers to the above please holla lol
does anyone have a model answer for observation 19 mark question
oh okay, good luck with them and try to balance them as much as possible. Btw I didn't really understand observational for section A but just attempted a question about structured observation and using event sampling this is part of my answer where I described the structured answer that will be used, can you read it and tell me if it makes sense and if I missed anything out: I will be using a structured observation and data will be collected using event sampling, this means that the behaviour will be recorded every time they occur....................(I stated how I would carry out the study and the number of observers, how they will observe).......... and then said: Pilot studies will be conducted prior to this study in order to identify appropriate behavioural categories. The pairs of observers with pre-check the consistency of the categories used to ensure inter rater reliability. This behavioural category will be adopted in the study and will consist of categories such as 'eating loudly' and 'crunching food'. Every time the observers observe a particular behaviour they will record the behaviour in the relevant category.

Did I miss anything out and do we use categories for other types of observations? or is it just for structured? and would I have to include a final paragraph stating the type of data collected to gain full marks? e.g, Nominal data will be collected due to the categories?

if anyone else has answers to the above please holla lol

It seems like you have covered it all.
I think it is just for structured observations. And yeah I would state what kind of data would be collected, just to make sure :smile:
Original post by Charleybarron
It seems like you have covered it all.
I think it is just for structured observations. And yeah I would state what kind of data would be collected, just to make sure :smile:

Oh okay thanks, you know for questionnaire based questions - you would say they collect qualitative data but would you further explain how the data would be analysed? (like in correlations when we say that the quantitative date is tested statistically using the Spearmans Rank...)
Original post by veryscared123
does anyone have a model answer for observation 19 mark question

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/208972-unit-g544-exemplar-candidate-work-june-2014.pdf

those are model answers from last year! hope you find it useful
Reply 30
Does anyone have the questions to last years paper?
Reply 31
Vrij and man, canter and raine are all individual differences
Reply 32
Can anyone illuminate me as to the format of the exam? I'm afraid I haven't done much revision and am rather worried ahah :smile:
Oh okay thanks, you know for questionnaire based questions - you would say they collect qualitative data but would you further explain how the data would be analysed? (like in correlations when we say that the quantitative date is tested statistically using the Spearmans Rank...)

Umm im not too sure about that because they usually ask you another like 3 marker on it...
Any other predictions? I've only just started revising properly - retook AS Research Methods and looked at approaches and debates for G543 - and I'm not sure how to best answer the section B questions? Also, does anyone know what came up last year?
Original post by izzyyc
Anyone know what studies would come under Individual Differences from A2 research?

I can only think of AS ones - Rosenhan, Thigpen etc

You could argue Becker from health.
Original post by si_a
Does anyone have the questions to last years paper?

here are last years questions
SECTION A

“Psychologists use a range of methods to collect data, including experiments and observations. Behaviourists believe that the subject matter of psychology should be observational techniques. The presence of others can be studied experimentally by measuring what participants are doing rather than what they are thinking.”

Options: a) The effect of the presence of others on mutual performance
b)The effect of the presence of others on sport performance
c) The effect of the presence of others on mathematical skills
d) The effect of the presence of others on acts of kindness
e) The effect of the presence of others aggressive behaviour
f) The effect of the presence of others on food choices
g) The effect of the presence of others on face recognition
You must use an independent measure design experiment and plan to collect data which measure observable behaviour. It must be a practical project that can be conducted.
1. State the null hypothesis for your practical project.
2. Describe the method you would use to conduct your practical project.
3. Outline one advantage of using the experimental method in your practical project.
4. Explain one strength of using the independent measures design in your practical project.
5. Explain one weakness of using the independent measure design in your practical project.
6. State an appropriate inferential statistical test to analyse the data that would be collected in your practical project. Give reasons for your choice.
7. Briefly discuss on practical issue in relation to your practical project.
8. Suggest an alternative way of manipulating the independent variable in your practical project.
SECTION B
EITHER
a) Briefly outline the psychodynamic perspective in psychology.
b) Describe two pieces of research that use the psychodynamic perspective in psychology.
c) Discuss the strengths and limitations of research that provides an individual explanation of behaviour.
d) Compare the psychodynamic perspective with the physiological approach. Use examples of psychological research to support your answer.
e) Can individual explanations of behaviour be considered useful?
OR
a) Briefly outline two ethical issues relating to psychological research.
b)Describe two pieces of research in psychology which can be considered unethical
c) Discuss strengths and limitatios of using observation to investigate behaviour. Use examples of psychological research to support your answer.
d) Compare the observational method with any other research method. Use examples of psychological research to support your answer.
e) Discuss the ethics of the case study method in psychology.
(edited 8 years ago)
On the question 'Discuss strengths and limitations...', do we discuss 2 of each?
does anyone know how much time we should spend on each section ? Just want a rough idea so I can practise limiting my timing for section A as section B is more demanding and needs more time
Original post by alice552
On the question 'Discuss strengths and limitations...', do we discuss 2 of each?

Yeah, the mark scheme calls for at least two of each for top band marks. The questions also follow the same pattern each year:

a) Briefly outline...
b) Describe two pieces of research....
c) Strengths and limitations
d) Compare ____ + _____
e) Discuss debate

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending