Tories Ministers face sack if they back EU exit - Cameron Watch

ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...e-sack-eu-exit

Who needs democracy uh? Some of these MPs will have a mandate from voters to be EU skeptic. Now they are told they can not represent the people who vote them.

**** the wips.

Is this the start of a Tory civil war? :teehee:

Those 60 MPs could make all the difference considering the Tories only have a small majority.
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What else should he do to rebellious ministers who do not share his ideology? They would be pretty useless in his cabinet...

Having someone who is against your views is pointless, imagine Miliband, Cameron and Farage in the same cabinet. Would it work? No.
Drunken Bard
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just another example of how we live in a false democracy.
Swanbow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No doubt some Eurosceptic Minister with Prime Ministerial ambitions is plotting to rebel anyway and lead the No campaign. Destructive behaviour in the short term, but could put them in good stead for the next Conservative leadership elections. Should be interesting.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what's this democracy you say?
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
what's this democracy you say?
If you vote for a Tory MP due to their EUP skeptic nature and they can't even voice your side in a referendum what is even the point.
SotonianOne
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
If you vote for a Tory MP due to their EUP skeptic nature and they can't even voice your side in a referendum what is even the point.
The article clearly points out government ministers, not members of Parliament.

No effect on Mogg & Co.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do people not think it might undermine the PMs attempt at negotiation if there are members of his cabinet who want out unless reforms go well beyond Cameron's stated aims? Besides if it is that important an issue for ministers them they should put that before their career.

In any case it's down to the public to decide.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SotonianOne)

No effect on Mogg & Co.
PRSOM
Some people find tge idea of whips and a coherent party to be undemocratic- without if the country would be as ineffective and poorly managed as the Green run Brighton area where Caroline Lucas campaigned against chopping down a tree her own councillors voted to remove.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
funny that, i met a tory MP a week ago who was anti-europe. Guess they are just in it for the perks and will go along with the "plan".
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by SotonianOne)

No effect on Mogg & Co.
I am stupid :sad:

I still maintain that the concept of whips is anti demoratic.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just to add to your woes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33043694
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
Just to add to your woes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33043694
:rofl:
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Who needs democracy uh? Some of these MPs will have a mandate from voters to be EU skeptic. Now they are told they can not represent the people who vote them.

**** the wips.

Those 60 MPs could make all the difference considering the Tories only have a small majority.
The civil war started 20 years ago, we are simply in a ceasefire now. Come election time, MP's will choose between cushy ministerial careers and their principles.

This will have no effect to the Tory majority. They'd be sacked from the cabinet, not as a Tory MP.

Of course Cameron is now denying this until the actual referendum.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

**** the wips.

You were complaining about the Tories wanting out of the EU not too long ago.

You're now complaining that the Tories want to stay in the EU.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
You were complaining about the Tories wanting out of the EU not too long ago.

You're now complaining that the Tories want to stay in the EU.
I'm not a tribalist. That may be a hard concept for some people to get their heads around. :ninja:

I'm pro democracy. That only works if I extend it to political forces I don't agree with. I want proportional representation, even if it means we would have a load of UKIP MPs. Labour were stupid for not calling the Tories bluff on that one and demanding a referendum.

I've also never been inherently pro or against the EU either. I'm incredibly skeptical of the reasons these Tories are EU skeptic. But then I'm behind the Green position with the EU which is certainly not a europhile one. When push comes to shove I will probably reluctant vote to stay in if we have a referendum, that doesn't mean I don;t think there is a lot wrong with the EU.
balanced
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
he wont? He just said he wont?
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
The civil war started 20 years ago, we are simply in a ceasefire now. Come election time, MP's will choose between cushy ministerial careers and their principles.

This will have no effect to the Tory majority. They'd be sacked from the cabinet, not as a Tory MP.

Of course Cameron is now denying this until the actual referendum.
Ye I got that muddled up.
Lambrook
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I still maintain that the concept of whips is anti demoratic.
UK MP's have more freedom in voicing their political predilections than Australian MP's. MP's in a major party in Australia have a tendency to toe the party line 99per cent of the time. Although I would like our MP's having the freedom of voting like they did in the days of Disraeli and Gladstone.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
this is what you call an E-U turn
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads