The Student Room Group

do you believe in ghosts ?

Why do the ghost story around? Is they real ? I personally don't believer but some part of my mind afraid to a certain degree.

I know if ghost really exists then why do they belongs to human not other biological species. \

What you think friends?
I believe what I see unless I know it is an illusion. Never seen a ghost but if I did would obviously update my belief.
Reply 2
Original post by aaronlowe
I believe what I see unless I know it is an illusion. Never seen a ghost but if I did would obviously update my belief.

But you don't see electron either? Does this mean they are illusion?
Original post by physicst
But you don't see electron either? Does this mean they are illusion?

I can't see an electron directly but I can see the effect it has when interacting with other mass. Albeit the understanding of that wasn't developed by me and therefore something I've accepted on trust.

I just haven't seen a ghost or associated any effects to one so don't have enough objective information to form a conclusion. I haven't rejected the idea since lack of evidence is not in itself evidence against.

Therefore I keep an open mind.

But a more better explanation would be that you hallucinated, my friend was telling me that the fact you actually see a person as a ghost means that you probably did hallucinate as that is what you believe a ghost to be, a dead person. If it was something completely different that you've never been subjected too, then you can't really say you hallucinated.
Reply 5
Yes, science can't explain everything and all the evidence on ghosts and the paranormal can't all be fake as there is so much of it so there is something there we don't know about but consciously refuse to accept or believe. For example, if you don't believe in the paranormal would you stay in a haunted house alone at night by yourself or walk across a haunted grave yard? It is questions like this that show that most people wouldn't despite denying the existence of ghosts as they refuse to accept anything other than a rational answer.
No, because they don't exist.
Original post by Dilzo999
But a more better explanation would be that you hallucinated, my friend was telling me that the fact you actually see a person as a ghost means that you probably did hallucinate as that is what you believe a ghost to be, a dead person. If it was something completely different that you've never been subjected too, then you can't really say you hallucinated.

I personally don't jump on the hallucination bandwagon. There are simpler explanations that don't require an aberation of the mind. I've also had the odd conversation with proffesionals with some training in psychology and they tell me the tendency to hallicinate is much lower than the urban myth suggests.

For me the ghost would have to be more than just a hazy image. There'd need to be some collaborating evidence like a drop in temperature, audio conversation or sound, smell or strong sense of a presence. Then it'd be harder to attribute it to a hallucination. I've never had anything even approaching any of this.
Original post by Pra99
I know I'm going to get a lot of hate because of this, but I have actually seen a ghost. I saw it in my ancsetory home in India which is about 400 years old. You might say I might have been imagining things, but I wasn't. It was as though there was an actual person there. I was sitting at the dining table with the rest of the family and I saw this figure. It was extremely vivid and it looked exactly like a real person but the eyes were more slanted and larger. As though it could see inside me. I was never a believer of anything supernatural before this incident, but after this I've seriously though about this. After seeing this "ghost" I started crying because the sight of actually seeing something that nobody else could see overwhelmed me. As I was leaving the house I saw it again in the field next to the house. I started crying again.
I know there will be people here who would say I was just imagining it or something and people who will say that I just made it up. I can't do anything about that. I'm just saying why I believe in ghosts and the supernatural in general.

I'm curious. How old were you? Y'know no matter how convincing the story it's never real till it happens to you. I'd love to see a ghost cause my whole understanding of reality would have to be completely rearranged. No such excitement for me so far :frown:
Reply 9
I'm curious. How old were you? Y'know no matter how convincing the story it's never real till it happens to you. I'd love to see a ghost cause my whole understanding of reality would have to be completely rearranged. No such excitement for me so far :frown:

I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm just saying why I believe in ghosts. This only happened a few months ago, I was 15. I had no beliefs in a higher power at all.
Original post by iodo345
if you don't believe in the paranormal would you stay in a haunted house alone at night by yourself.

Yes I'd love that tbf, like most haunted castle/hotel etc. Only thing is no one can tell me it's haunted before I stay, tell me I've won a prize or it's for some sort of marketing trial for me to review my stay. Idea is if I am told somewhere is full of supposed ghosts, is haunted by dead children etc, my brain may try and look for evidence of it, so normal sounds it would ignore suddenly become unnerving. So don't tell me beforehand, let me stay the night totally alone. cameras sure, but no camera crew, and we'll see what goes on.
Original post by iodo345
If you don't believe in the paranormal would you stay in a haunted house alone at night by yourself?

Absolutely! I'd refuse to do it if I wasn't by myself.
Reply 12

This might sound strange but I don't think supernatural things occur in urban areas. I think you're going to have to go to somewhere where religion is widely celebrated because I saw this ghost in a house which was known for worshipping the God shiva for the last 400 years. It's funny because I only just found out about this.
Ghosts. No. But lingering energy, sure. I never deny the possibility that while I'm standing up eating oats there's something hovering over me, some unsettled force.
I personally don't jump on the hallucination bandwagon. There are simpler explanations that don't require an aberation of the mind. I've also had the odd conversation with proffesionals with some training in psychology and they tell me the tendency to hallicinate is much lower than the urban myth suggests.

For me the ghost would have to be more than just a hazy image. There'd need to be some collaborating evidence like a drop in temperature, audio conversation or sound, smell or strong sense of a presence. Then it'd be harder to attribute it to a hallucination. I've never had anything even approaching any of this.

What I'm trying to say is why do you expect these certain phenomenon to occur when there is a ghost? How do you even know a ghost looks like what they were in the past? The fact that you're seeing what you believe is what makes me think they're not seeing an actual ghost just something else.

Quick Reply

Latest