Turn on thread page Beta

AS level English lit Great Gatsby watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So kinda left revision last minute here, wondering if anyone got priority essay questions for the Great Gatsby question on Thursday? I know it's hard to predict but the novel's so vast I don't know where to start?! This is for CCEA btw

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatgatsby12)
    So kinda left revision last minute here, wondering if anyone got priority essay questions for the Great Gatsby question on Thursday? I know it's hard to predict but the novel's so vast I don't know where to start?! This is for CCEA btw

x
    Don't know your exam, sorry, but basically my tips would be:

Read and really roughly plan past paper questions just in case a similar question comes up this year.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know your exam but my advice would be to know what happens in every chapter, I made mind maps on each chapter for the AQA exam but if you need it very briefly:

Chapter 1: Introducing characters, particularly Nick (narrative voice). Nick visits the Buchanan's house. At the end of the chapter we see Gatsby for the first time.
    Chapter 2: Visit valley of ashes and New York, meet Myrtle and her husband.
    Chapter 3: Gatsby's party. Extravagance, decadence, idea of wealth, american dream etc,
    Chapter 4: Gatsby and Nick go to lunch with Wolfsheim, we get some idea of Gatsby's past.
    Chapter 5: Daisy and Gatsby are reunited. Realization of dream, perhaps considered climax of novel.
    Chapter 6: Gatsby withdraws into house, him and Daisy are having affair. We see Tom and his friends ridicule Gatsby when they invite him for dinner without really meaning it.
    Chapter 7: Tom, Daisy, Gatsby, Nick and Jordan go to New York. Fight between Tom and Gatsby over Daisy. Myrtle is hit by car Daisy is driving.
    Chapter 8: Gatsby insists on taking the blame for Myrtle's death, results in his murder.
    Chapter 9; We meet Gatsby's father, Gatsby's funeral (nobody comes) and Nick reflects on events of the book and the difference between the East and the West.

This is a very brief summary of the book which when broken down like this isn't too vast. As long as you understand the main themes of the book (American Dream, Class system, Love, Novel of manners, Rags to riches etc) You should be okay.

I would advice making notes though, I made 27 sides of notes for 'The Road' and it still didn't feel like enough.

Good Luck!!

ReputationRep:

x
    I've been told that it could be on gender or what relevance does Gatsby have on todays society

ReputationRep:

x
    you really should have started to revise at the start of the course, if you wanted to do well that is.
    anyway its on what relevance Gatsby has on todays society. hope that helps.

P.S. never leave it to last minute!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Lorna Birch;59824255]you really should have started to revise at the start of the course, if you wanted to do well that is.
    anyway its on what relevance Gatsby has on todays society. hope that helps.

P.S. never leave it to last minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 8, 2015

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.