Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A2 biology again!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I was wondering whether someone could tell me about the exponential growth rate constant and where to find the formula on the net

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Sally)
    Hi everyone

I was wondering whether someone could tell me about the exponential growth rate constant and where to find the formula on the net

Thanks
    sorry can't help you there, but what board / module is this? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShOcKzZ)
    sorry can't help you there, but what board / module is this? thanks.
    Edexcel A2 biology
    Unit 4, option A (microbiology option)

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Thanks
    exponential growth rate constant is growth being equal to size. Therefore it should be 1 and be a constant!

ie if size doubles, then growth doubles. If size halfs then growth is halved...

ReputationRep:
    erm you mean the formula

k = (Log10(Nt) - Log10No) / (0.301 x t )

k is the generation of cells per hour
    and the recriprocal is the time needed for the cells to double..

erm...was that the answer you wanted?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Thanks
    Sally it's really not that important. If it does come up in the exam we will be provided with the formula and a brief explanation of how to use it and then you just stick no's in calculator! So as long as you know how to use Logs (which I'm praying you do as P3 is a week on wed!!!!) then you'll be fine. Half the stuff, mainly sheets!, we've been given for biology (particularly micro-bio) is really useless! lol

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.