LSE MSc Economics History or UCL MSc Computer Science Watch

always_red
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello guys. I am an international student and have got the offer from LSE MSc Economics History and UCL MSc Computer Science. My undergraduate major is finance and I want to be a banker at IBD after graduation.
So I just wonder which one is better in terms of breaking into investment banking (I know probably they are both useless..)
Economic history is one of my interests. And I think it is necessary to take LSE's reputation and networking events into account.
I love computer science as well. Although it is a major for students from non-cs discipline, acquiring some programming skills is becoming more and more important. UCL itself is also good.
As one of the main reasons I come to the UK for masters degree is to improve my English communication. So I also wonder which one is more likely to have more students whose first language is English and to require more team projects.

Thanks!
always_red
Rep:
?
Bump. Any advice from anyone..Many thanks!
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UCL computer science.
Don John
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which one do you actually enjoy more?

Yes LSE has a sterling reputation but so does UCL.
WokSz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by always_red)
Hello guys. I am an international student and have got the offer from LSE MSc Economics History and UCL MSc Computer Science. My undergraduate major is finance and I want to be a banker at IBD after graduation.
So I just wonder which one is better in terms of breaking into investment banking (I know probably they are both useless..)
Economic history is one of my interests. And I think it is necessary to take LSE's reputation and networking events into account.
I love computer science as well. Although it is a major for students from non-cs discipline, acquiring some programming skills is becoming more and more important. UCL itself is also good.
As one of the main reasons I come to the UK for masters degree is to improve my English communication. So I also wonder which one is more likely to have more students whose first language is English and to require more team projects.Thanks!
Those are two very different courses. I'm curious why you applied to either.

But I would say that you should really look into what you enjoy more and the course in which you'll do best in. To be perfectly honest, I don't think you should be going into a course simply because of the University's reputation. You'll end up getting less than a distinction and that's a lot worse than, say, getting a Distinction from a second tier institution. Employers are getting smarter and they're less interested in just your University's name. Yes, it gets your CV another glance but to get the job you need to be a lot more than just a 'cookie-cutter' graduate.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WokSz)
Those are two very different courses. I'm curious why you applied to either.

But I would say that you should really look into what you enjoy more and the course in which you'll do best in. To be perfectly honest, I don't think you should be going into a course simply because of the University's reputation. You'll end up getting less than a distinction and that's a lot worse than, say, getting a Distinction from a second tier institution. Employers are getting smarter and they're less interested in just your University's name. Yes, it gets your CV another glance but to get the job you need to be a lot more than just a 'cookie-cutter' graduate.
That is what they wanted you to think.
WokSz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
That is what they wanted you to think.
They also want me to think an LSE degree is worth the ridiculous fees, but alas.
DeanAmbrose15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm also very interested in a msc in computer science from UCL. How did you get there???????? I mean don't you need to have a Bsc in computer science in order to get there? What average did you have? Where do you come from? I would definitely love to make the same transition as you.

As for your choice, I suggest you choose LSE. If you want to work in the banking system LSE is definitely number 1. So don't think twice about it (since both Msc are somehow irrelevant to your career aspirations)
always_red
Rep:
?
Thanks to all for these replies!
always_red
Rep:
?
(Original post by DeanAmbrose15)
I'm also very interested in a msc in computer science from UCL. How did you get there???????? I mean don't you need to have a Bsc in computer science in order to get there? What average did you have? Where do you come from? I would definitely love to make the same transition as you.

As for your choice, I suggest you choose LSE. If you want to work in the banking system LSE is definitely number 1. So don't think twice about it (since both Msc are somehow irrelevant to your career aspirations)

I have got a first class from a UK university (not a very good one). MSc Computer Science of UCL is a conversion course just designed for students with no computer science background ( other uni also have such a course like Bristol and Imperial College), but still requires a few basic programming knowledge. And the entry requirement for this UCL course is quite low, even a lower second class is fine.That's one of the reasons making me concerned about its quality. Anyway, thank you for your suggestion.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have got a first class from a UK university (not a very good one). MSc Computer Science of UCL is a conversion course just designed for students with no computer science background ( other uni also have such a course like Bristol and Imperial College), but still requires a few basic programming knowledge. And the entry requirement for this UCL course is quite low, even a lower second class is fine.That's one of the reasons making me concerned about its quality. Anyway, thank you for your suggestion.
Taking into account that UCL's masters degrees are very expensive so OP better make sure he gets value for his money and no just brand name.
WokSz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you looked at Imperial's MSc in Computing? It's also a conversion course and pretty intensive.
always_red
Rep:
?
(Original post by WokSz)
Have you looked at Imperial's MSc in Computing? It's also a conversion course and pretty intensive.
Yep. I applied but was rejected..It is definitely a better choice than UCL, despite its huge tuition fee for international student at around 27,000 pounds...
WokSz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep. I applied but was rejected..It is definitely a better choice than UCL, despite its huge tuition fee for international student at around 27,000 pounds...
I've heard mixed reviews about Imperial's Computing program, so I guess you're safe there!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (49)
24.62%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (64)
32.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (37)
18.59%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (17)
8.54%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
16.08%

Watched Threads